Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 354250 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #1170 on: January 26, 2017, 03:11:07 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Noel with 12 points, 12 rebs, 1 blk, and 1 stl in 24 minutes tonight.

This is what he'd give to the C's EVERY NIGHT, or at least close. I bet he would give us around 12 and 10 each night with around 2 blocks and over a steal each game.

We saw tonight how good Horford is when he has a mobile big next to him. Our defense and rebounding would be much, much better with someone like Noel. The only thing you'd be giving up is spacing that someone like JJ can provide that Noel can't.

His price will be higher though as a result.

Unless you expect to sign him this summer, in which you just have to hope Philly aren't willing to keep him (who knows, they might, they got cap space too).

What would you trade to acquire him at the deadline?

As much as I'd hate it personally, I'd probably be willing to give up Smart to get him, which should be more than enough since I can't imagine any other team beating that offer with the context he's in.

I just think with us getting a point guard in the draft, we'll have to move on from him or AB eventually. Might as well get Noel in the process if we can.

Philly probably has to go for it, too, because they're playing their way out of the better point guards in the draft, especially with LA looking like they'll keep their pick this year now. They could get someone like Monk in the mid-lottery, who would seemingly be a good fit with Smart in the backcourt. They'd have the making of a seriously elite defensive team between Embiid and Smart, too.
theres not much point in Philly trading Noel for smart. They are better off keeping Noel.  They have been better than the Celtics this year and Noel is a key part of that.
Seems like you should check the standings
I have.
this year implies this season. Unless you wish to continue to feed your rep as a troll just say calendar year next time.
If I meant this season, I would have said this season. 

This year, Boston is 7-4 including losses to Toronto, New York and Portland.     Philly is 9-3 including wins over Toronto, New York and Portland.   Philly's actually won 10 of their last 13 and have only lost one game with Embiid on the court during that stretch.  To be fair to us, it was a game against Boston in which a peak-health Celtic team that played all their top 5 guys 30+ minutes narrowly knocked off Philly by 4 points after Embiid fouled out in 26 minutes.  Philly is now a Top 10 defensive team for the season and has had the best defense in the league with Embiid on the court.  It is what it is. 

They have basically been even with us since December 8th.  They started surging when Noel returned to play consistent minutes on December 30th.   They won their last two games (Clippers and Bucks) without Embiid playing.  In those past two games Noel had 19 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals with 8-10 shooting in 29 minutes against the Clippers... followed by 16 points, 13 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal with 5-9 shooting in 28 minutes - including the game winning mid-range jumper against the Bucks. 

When you're talking about a team that is building it's identity around elite-level defense, Noel is a great fit behind the transcendent Embiid.  Long-term, he'd make sense there playing 20-25 minutes a night as a back up Center.  Elite team defense comes from the inside out.  Guard defense is a luxury that doesn't make nearly the same type of impact as having a goalie in the middle changing the game from inside.  Marcus Smart doesn't really make any sense on that team.  They don't need guard defense off the bench.  They need guys who can hit shots.  It makes more sense to keep Noel and play him 20-25 minutes than to have Smart take away minutes from their shooters for 15-20 minutes per night off the bench.  I really don't see it at all from Philly's perspective.   

Honestly, I imagine Boston has tried shipping out Smart for Noel for the past two years and Philly has turned them down.  Then this Summer, I think it probably flipped where Philly reluctantly called up and said, "hey, we changed our mind... we'll take Smart for Noel" to which Boston replied, "Yeah, about that... We're no longer interested"...    And as we head into the trade deadline I imagine Boston calling up to say, "Hey uh... actually on second thought, we'll do Smart for Noel" to which Philly will be like, "Nah... We good." 

It's just a bad fit.  It's magnified by the fact it might be difficult for Boston to keep Noel and still have max cap room to add a significant free agent.   It's less of a problem for Philly who has tons of cap space.  They can keep Noel and still have plenty of room to add a major player.   

My guess Philly has shifted it's stance and Okafor is the one most readily available.  I still think Okafor is an intriguing prospect who is clearly much better offensively than defensively at this point.  It's tough to really guess what he's worth.  He's got flaws, but it's fair to note that even this year he's statistically outperforming every single 2016 draftee.   You can't really write him off yet considering his natural talent and age.  Clearly his lack of elite defense and rebounding makes him less desirable to fans.  Ainge has clearly had interest over the past year, but who knows what he's offering at this point.  Even if Boston were willing to trade Marcus for Okafor, I still don't see how Marcus would fit with the construction of Philly's roster now and heading forward.

LOL. You never were good with context, were ya?

They don't need guard defense off the bench.  They need guys who can hit shots.  It makes more sense to keep Noel and play him 20-25 minutes than to have Smart take away minutes from their shooters for 15-20 minutes per night off the bench.  I really don't see it at all from Philly's perspective.   

I honestly found this quote to be quite comical lol First off, Smart is easily the best guard on that roster if he was traded there, and I might even say Rozier would be, too. And that's not even really questionable, and most biased 76ers fans would even say that. They have D-League level scrubs and washed up vets playing guard for them.

Second, it's only in fantasy land if you think Noel is going to be happy playing second fiddle to Embiid playing TOPS 20 minutes a night, and that's if you assume Embiid only will play 30 minutes a night, let alone having Okafor, Holmes, Saric, and Simmons to share minutes with at the backup big positions. He's already said (and proven) that he's a starter-level player in this league, and MULTIPLE sources have said he's not happy to be a long-term backup. So just stop with this ridiculous non-sense.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:20:35 AM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #1171 on: January 26, 2017, 03:12:23 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Honestly, I imagine Boston has tried shipping out Smart for Noel for the past two years and Philly has turned them down.  Then this Summer, I think it probably flipped where Philly reluctantly called up and said, "hey, we changed our mind... we'll take Smart for Noel" to which Boston replied, "Yeah, about that... We're no longer interested"...    And as we head into the trade deadline I imagine Boston calling up to say, "Hey uh... actually on second thought, we'll do Smart for Noel" to which Philly will be like, "Nah... We good." 

Yes, Larry. Trading Smart will only be in your imagination.
I'm a fan of Marcus and still hold out hope he'll make a leap over the second half of the season, but he's clearly the most overrated player on this forum.  He's definitely available.  I don't think he has much trade value, though.  There just isn't a market for guards who can't shoot in this league.  And guard defense just doesn't matter as much as big man defense.  Nobody has ever built a great team defense around a guard.  That's just not how basketball works.

There's LITERALLY been zero indication that Smart is available. No rumors, no speculation, nothing. Just more top-notch analysis from LarBrd33.

« Reply #1172 on: January 26, 2017, 03:14:41 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

This is what he'd give to the C's EVERY NIGHT, or at least close. I bet he would give us around 12 and 10 each night with around 2 blocks and over a steal each game.

We saw tonight how good Horford is when he has a mobile big next to him. Our defense and rebounding would be much, much better with someone like Noel. The only thing you'd be giving up is spacing that someone like JJ can provide that Noel can't.

Unless you expect to sign him this summer, in which you just have to hope Philly aren't willing to keep him (who knows, they might, they got cap space too).

As much as I'd hate it personally, I'd probably be willing to give up Smart to get him, which should be more than enough since I can't imagine any other team beating that offer with the context he's in.

I just think with us getting a point guard in the draft, we'll have to move on from him or AB eventually. Might as well get Noel in the process if we can.

Philly probably has to go for it, too, because they're playing their way out of the better point guards in the draft, especially with LA looking like they'll keep their pick this year now. They could get someone like Monk in the mid-lottery, who would seemingly be a good fit with Smart in the backcourt. They'd have the making of a seriously elite defensive team between Embiid and Smart, too.
theres not much point in Philly trading Noel for smart. They are better off keeping Noel.  They have been better than the Celtics this year and Noel is a key part of that.
I have.
this year implies this season. Unless you wish to continue to feed your rep as a troll just say calendar year next time.

This year, Boston is 7-4 including losses to Toronto, New York and Portland.     Philly is 9-3 including wins over Toronto, New York and Portland.   Philly's actually won 10 of their last 13 and have only lost one game with Embiid on the court during that stretch.  To be fair to us, it was a game against Boston in which a peak-health Celtic team that played all their top 5 guys 30+ minutes narrowly knocked off Philly by 4 points after Embiid fouled out in 26 minutes.  Philly is now a Top 10 defensive team for the season and has had the best defense in the league with Embiid on the court.  It is what it is. 

They have basically been even with us since December 8th.  They started surging when Noel returned to play consistent minutes on December 30th.   They won their last two games (Clippers and Bucks) without Embiid playing.  In those past two games Noel had 19 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals with 8-10 shooting in 29 minutes against the Clippers... followed by 16 points, 13 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal with 5-9 shooting in 28 minutes - including the game winning mid-range jumper against the Bucks. 

When you're talking about a team that is building it's identity around elite-level defense, Noel is a great fit behind the transcendent Embiid.  Long-term, he'd make sense there playing 20-25 minutes a night as a back up Center.  Elite team defense comes from the inside out.  Guard defense is a luxury that doesn't make nearly the same type of impact as having a goalie in the middle changing the game from inside.  Marcus Smart doesn't really make any sense on that team.  They don't need guard defense off the bench.  They need guys who can hit shots.  It makes more sense to keep Noel and play him 20-25 minutes than to have Smart take away minutes from their shooters for 15-20 minutes per night off the bench.  I really don't see it at all from Philly's perspective.   

It's just a bad fit.  It's magnified by the fact it might be difficult for Boston to keep Noel and still have max cap room to add a significant free agent.   It's less of a problem for Philly who has tons of cap space.  They can keep Noel and still have plenty of room to add a major player.   

My guess Philly has shifted it's stance and Okafor is the one most readily available.  I still think Okafor is an intriguing prospect who is clearly much better offensively than defensively at this point.  It's tough to really guess what he's worth.  He's got flaws, but it's fair to note that even this year he's statistically outperforming every single 2016 draftee.   You can't really write him off yet considering his natural talent and age.  Clearly his lack of elite defense and rebounding makes him less desirable to fans.  Ainge has clearly had interest over the past year, but who knows what he's offering at this point.  Even if Boston were willing to trade Marcus for Okafor, I still don't see how Marcus would fit with the construction of Philly's roster now and heading forward.

Not sure what you mean.  The entire premise of Philly trading away Noel is based around the idea that they can't keep him and Embiid.  That's doesn't seem to be true.  If you're looking for a back-up to Joel Embiid, you can't do much better than Nerlens Noel.  Embiid has been the best defender in the league in minutes he's played so it's hard to find anyone on that level.  Noel isn't quite on that level.  But Noel is an exceptional defender in his own right and makes a lot of sense long-term there.   Trading him for a back-up guard who's greatest weakness is the main thing the team is trying to improve on - while sacrificing your elite back-up center defense... just seems like a really bad idea both in the short term as they make a wild push for the playoffs... and in the long-term as they likely will have better options to add guard talent in the near future.

I'm not disagreeing with you that from Boston's perspective trading Smart for Noel would make some sense (but only if they could retain max cap space this Summer).  I'm just not seeing it for Philly.  It's a bad fit.

« Reply #1173 on: January 26, 2017, 03:21:45 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'm a fan of Marcus and still hold out hope he'll make a leap over the second half of the season, but he's clearly the most overrated player on this forum.  He's definitely available.  I don't think he has much trade value, though.  There just isn't a market for guards who can't shoot in this league.  And guard defense just doesn't matter as much as big man defense.  Nobody has ever built a great team defense around a guard.  That's just not how basketball works.

There's LITERALLY been zero indication that Smart is available. No rumors, no speculation, nothing. Just more top-notch analysis from LarBrd33.
Actually that's LITERALLY not true as pretty much every speculative piece about Boston trading for a Butler or Cousins has us throwing in Marcus Smart along with the 2017 Brooklyn pick.  Pretty much every hypothetical I see from guys like Simmons or Lowe includes Marcus as a toss-in.   As far as rumors go, there have been plenty linking Smart to Noel.  But you're right in that there isn't much rumor/speculation about Boston shopping him.   For the record, I don't believe Boston is shopping Smart.  He's obviously available, but I don't think Boston is making calls or anything.  I don't think Smart has any trade value so it would be kind of a waste of time to shop him around.  You're probably not going to get anything substantial for him.  Boston is better off just hanging onto him for the same reason Philly is probably better off just hanging onto Noel - they aren't going to get anything better via trade.

But since you were the one who just said you'd trade Smart for Noel, I'm just telling you that it makes no sense for Philly at this point.   And I'm not sure it makes sense for Boston either if it means we don't have max cap space this Summer.  I did the math in the past and it seemed like Boston could acquire Noel and still have significant cap room in the small window pre-Noel Extension when he was still just a cap hold... but it looked like it would be a little under Max cap room.

« Reply #1174 on: January 26, 2017, 03:25:38 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I have.

Not sure what you mean.  The entire premise of Philly trading away Noel is based around the idea that they can't keep him and Embiid.  That's doesn't seem to be true.  If you're looking for a back-up to Joel Embiid, you can't do much better than Nerlens Noel.  Embiid has been the best defender in the league in minutes he's played so it's hard to find anyone on that level.  Noel isn't quite on that level.  But Noel is an exceptional defender in his own right and makes a lot of sense long-term there.   Trading him for a back-up guard who's greatest weakness is the main thing the team is trying to improve on - while sacrificing your elite back-up center defense... just seems like a really bad idea both in the short term as they make a wild push for the playoffs... and in the long-term as they likely will have better options to add guard talent in the near future.

I'm not disagreeing with you that from Boston's perspective trading Smart for Noel would make some sense (but only if they could retain max cap space this Summer).  I'm just not seeing it for Philly.  It's a bad fit.

I've laid out why it IS a good trade for Philly elsewhere, i.e. since it looks like they won't get higher than a 7th pick this year in the draft and won't have any real good opportunity to improve their guard position otherwise. But that's another argument.

The context disproving your thesis with Noel is this:

1) Noel is NOT a backup in this league;

2) Noel does NOT want to be a backup in this league;

3) The Sixers are NOT going to pay the money needed to keep him, especially as a backup;

4) The Sixers are NOT going to force an unhappy player to be a backup at a majorly expensive price.

That's just not how it works in reality, Lar. You can sit here and say they can keep him all you want, but every single thing coming out of that place suggests that he's still getting traded.

« Reply #1175 on: January 26, 2017, 03:27:31 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I have.

I've laid out why it IS a good trade for Philly elsewhere, i.e. since it looks like they won't get higher than a 7th pick this year in the draft and won't have any real good opportunity to improve their guard position otherwise. But that's another argument.

3) The Sixers are NOT going to pay the money needed to keep him, especially as a backup;

4) The Sixers are NOT going to force an unhappy player to be a backup at a majorly expensive price.

That's just not how it works in reality, Lar. You can sit here and say they can keep him all you want, but every single thing coming out of that place suggests that he's still getting traded.
#1 - He seems fine with it.  You're right he's a starter-level player, but as long as they can win with him he's probably fine backing up Embiid in the same way Marcus is probably fine backing up Thomas.

#2 - He recently said he was very pleased with his role.  Perhaps the happiest he's ever been. So that seems like old info there.

#3 - I disagree.  They'll pay him.  Plenty of reason to.

#4 - Doesn't sound like he's unhappy.  Again... old news.   

You're coming at this with a very November 2016 point of view.  You might want to join us in January 2017.  Okafor seems to be the odd man out at this point.  Noel looks like he might stay.

Also, none of your points have anything to do with why Philly would want to trade for Marcus Smart.  They need shooting.  Guard defense isn't really a priority.  Nor is it for most of the league, honestly.   Interior defense is exponentially more important.  Generally, you want offense from your guards in the modern NBA.

« Reply #1176 on: January 26, 2017, 03:55:19 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Kind request to the mods to rename the thread to >Why Philly is better than Boston

Add a bait alert too if possible

« Reply #1177 on: January 26, 2017, 04:01:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
https://twitter.com/CodyWesterlund/status/824465913693016064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Uh oh, Butler becoming unhappy in Chicago?

https://twitter.com/MichaelVPina/status/824474039917957120?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw   ;D

Oh wow, and apparently George is having some issues in Indy, too. Either of them would be great fits in green, though George certainly is a bit better fit with his shooting.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2017/01/24/paul-george-dont-think-booing-solution/97005944/

“They pay their money, their hard-earned money to watch us play. They got the right to do whatever they want," George said after practice Tuesday. "It doesn’t hurt me. It doesn’t hurt my feelings. Just know we work harder off of cheers than boos."

When asked after the 109-103 loss about the boos hurled at his team, George told reporters: “That’s Indy in general. We’ve been No. 1 in the East (in 2014) and lost a game at home and got booed. That’s just Indiana.”

Sure doesn't sound like someone wanting to re-up long-term in Indy, huh?
could be a very interesting trade deadline. 

« Reply #1178 on: January 26, 2017, 04:01:43 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
ANNNNDDDD we havent stopped talking bout Philly.I mean some of us want to talk about the fact that the Cavs, Raptors, Rockets were slumping but I guess Im in the wrong thread.

« Reply #1179 on: January 26, 2017, 04:03:44 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
ANNNNDDDD we havent stopped talking bout Philly.I mean some of us want to talk about the fact that the Cavs, Raptors, Rockets were slumping but I guess Im in the wrong thread.
1st Seed is still in play for the Celtics. 

« Reply #1180 on: January 26, 2017, 06:09:02 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Charlotte almost made it happen against GSW but choked at the end + Curry was amazing.

What % would ppl give to GSW making the Finals this season?

I agree they are the strong favourite, but their chances can't possibly be 100%

What is your take?
80%

San Antonio, I give a 5% chance, injuries, I give a 10% chance and I give the rest of the field 5%.

Agreed. My only disagreement would be that IMO Houston has a better chance of stopping GSW than SAS.

« Reply #1181 on: January 26, 2017, 06:11:59 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
If the C's finish first in the East I give you 10 TPs. If we don't, you give me 1.
Deal?

« Reply #1182 on: January 26, 2017, 07:03:28 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I have.

#1 - He seems fine with it.  You're right he's a starter-level player, but as long as they can win with him he's probably fine backing up Embiid in the same way Marcus is probably fine backing up Thomas.

#2 - He recently said he was very pleased with his role.  Perhaps the happiest he's ever been. So that seems like old info there.

#3 - I disagree.  They'll pay him.  Plenty of reason to.

#4 - Doesn't sound like he's unhappy.  Again... old news.   

You're coming at this with a very November 2016 point of view.  You might want to join us in January 2017.  Okafor seems to be the odd man out at this point.  Noel looks like he might stay.

Also, none of your points have anything to do with why Philly would want to trade for Marcus Smart.  They need shooting.  Guard defense isn't really a priority.  Nor is it for most of the league, honestly.   Interior defense is exponentially more important.  Generally, you want offense from your guards in the modern NBA.
More like 3rd week of January 2017 news.  We are in the 4th week of January.  So he's kept his mouth shut for a whopping one week.

« Reply #1183 on: January 26, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

maybe he's available in the sense that no one is untouchable?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #1184 on: January 26, 2017, 01:38:43 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
dang

Almost 20 thousand posts

TP for the shift in subject too, ha
I trust Danny Ainge