Author Topic: Kyrie Irving: Fixing Celtics Taking Shortcuts 'Up to Brad' Stevens  (Read 5147 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving: Fixing Celtics Taking Shortcuts 'Up to Brad' Stevens
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2019, 04:46:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Put the band back together

Doc and Thibs

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2019, 07:04:43 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
This is a misrepresentation - specifically regarding Marcus Smart. Smart said the team is not together right now. A reporter asked Kyrie his thoughts on that quote, Kyrie responded that that's Marcus' opinion and he respects it.

@AdamHimmelsbach
After Kyrie answered a couple of questions from Jason Terry with regular answers, he took four more questions from the rest of the media and responded with a total of 20 words.  Didn't seem overly upset, but definitely short.

@ByJayKing
Kyrie wasn’t too talkative with us tonight. On how to fix taking defensive shortcuts: “I don’t know. It’s up to Brad.”

On Marcus Smart’s diagnosis that the Celtics aren’t playing together: “I mean, that’s Marcus’s opinion. I respect it.”

Is it Kyrie’s opinion too? *Silence*

I think this thread is one of the reasons he's keeping his commentary short. No matter what he says, someone's going to project their agenda on to it.

Did you not see the guy's face and notice his demeanor ? Did you notice how lackadasically he played the game , fewest drives to the basket (4) the entire season, jacking up long 3-pointers and jogging back on defense. Irving looked and sounded uninterested. And the comment, "That's up to Brad" is a bunch of crap - it is up to you and the other players , Kyrie. Just hope Danny is paying attention.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2019, 07:13:52 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Again, KyMe is a bad fit for a Stevens system...that's the elephant in the room. KyMe will be good in NY.

This is like putting Barry Sanders in an offense run by Tom Brady.

Hypothetically.... Who should Danny choose ....  Irving or CBS/youth for the long run?

Oh, I've been saying Ainge needs to break off this engagement and stick with the youngins. Forget AD and let Tatum blossom into your star. In 2 years he will be an All Star and Brown will be also. Kyrie will be in NY wondering how he left a storied franchise for the lights of NY.

Keep the picks and let this team grow together with Hayward and Horford leading them.

Amen
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2019, 07:22:42 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2019, 07:27:35 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Either Kyrie is gone or Brad Stevens steps down (gets fired) after the season is over.

Pretty much what this is leading up to, unless these guys can get their act together.

good. let brad go. he been abysmal this year at adjusting, managing, and having this team ready and prepped night in and out. zero discipline also. he has maxed himself out here. did great for the rebuild but his time is up IMO. time to grab a coach to get us over the hump and win a finals. i gave him a million chances and the same crap keeps happening. enough already.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2019, 07:30:48 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Brad Stevens was the greatest coach last couple of season, at least thats what alot of ppl was saying..now he is awful lol

CBS is a very good

"Break and open" when you need to build a team from ground up type of coach

or for a group of misfits

I bet he would do a great job with a team like Hornets or even Magic and help them make the playoffs

not on a team like this

Rivers would be better

yep. rivers would manage this team better. i cannot believe i agreed with you and gave doc credit LOL

oh well it is what it is. have to give credit where it is due
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2019, 07:31:00 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Are we seriously advocating for Stevens to be fired  ??? Because the team has underachieved with a 37-24 record when everyone expected them to go 58-24?

I'm on record here as saying he has questions to answer and has failed to prepare the team to treat every game with the seriousness and effort it deserves, and he needs to be held accountable for that, but wanting him to be fired seems to be a bit of an overreaction? Especially since the season hasn't ended yet.

Doc started coaching in 2000, he won his championship in 2008. Pop started coaching in 1988, won his first championship in 1998. Phil Jackson started coaching in 1978, won his first championship in 1990, in his 7th coaching year with a break of 7 years in between.

Brad's been coaching what, 5 1/2 years? And first sign of real adversity we dump him? Or do we expect every coach to be like Steve Kerr, who won a championship his first year?

People aren't calling for him to be fired outright, they're asking if it came down to CBS & Kyrie, who would you keep?

It's not at all the same.  If necessary, choosing a Kyrie-Smart-Hayward-AD-Horford starting 5 is a viable option here.

If I had to choose I would keep Brad Stevens without a second thought.
If keeping Kyrie means getting AD, say goodbye Brad. 

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2019, 07:35:05 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Are we seriously advocating for Stevens to be fired  ??? Because the team has underachieved with a 37-24 record when everyone expected them to go 58-24?

I'm on record here as saying he has questions to answer and has failed to prepare the team to treat every game with the seriousness and effort it deserves, and he needs to be held accountable for that, but wanting him to be fired seems to be a bit of an overreaction? Especially since the season hasn't ended yet.

Doc started coaching in 2000, he won his championship in 2008. Pop started coaching in 1988, won his first championship in 1998. Phil Jackson started coaching in 1978, won his first championship in 1990, in his 7th coaching year with a break of 7 years in between.

Brad's been coaching what, 5 1/2 years? And first sign of real adversity we dump him? Or do we expect every coach to be like Steve Kerr, who won a championship his first year?

People aren't calling for him to be fired outright, they're asking if it came down to CBS & Kyrie, who would you keep?

It's not at all the same.  If necessary, choosing a Kyrie-Smart-Hayward-AD-Horford starting 5 is a viable option here.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS.

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2019, 07:58:11 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I'm far from sold that AD+Kyrie is a championship core. They are both amazing individual talents but neither are really the team player types that can make others better.

And it's just a matter of time that Kyrie starts resenting AD for being the better player.

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2019, 08:02:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'm far from sold that AD+Kyrie is a championship core. They are both amazing individual talents but neither are really the team player types that can make others better.

And it's just a matter of time that Kyrie starts resenting AD for being the better player.
Disagree completely.

I guess we’ll see come July, and then come next season.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2019, 08:09:13 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

::) ::) ::)

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2019, 08:23:20 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
It's just a gut feeling, we'll see. We know you can't just jam a couple of stars on a team and expect them to set the world on fire. I just don't see a great chemistry between those two guys, just my opinion.

Kyrie is probably outta here in July anyway.

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2019, 08:29:22 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
 :)
LET'S GO CELTICS!