Poll

Are you more excited about the playoffs or the off-season?

The Playoffs. Let’s make some noise!
44 (78.6%)
The off-season. Trades, free agency, the Draft.
10 (17.9%)
Neither. I’d keep this magical regular season going forever if I could
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Are you more excited about the playoffs or the off-season?  (Read 10666 times)

Re: Are you more excited about the playoffs or the off-season?
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2019, 05:23:31 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The team and rotation will be different in the playoffs, assuming they are healthy.  I think a lot of people underrate how much shortening the rotation does to consistency. I believe this had a lot to do with the young team's success last year - not having anyone over their shoulders to look at on the bench as a replacement.   

There are no back-to-backs in the playoffs.  No immediate shifting of rosters or playing styles from one game to the next.  No 11-12 man deep games.  No tolerance for shot jacking and me-first play.

And to be honest, if at the beginning of the season I told you they would be 75% of the way through the season with 6 more losses than Golden State, would you be apoplectic?  Of course not...maybe you would prefer 3-4 games behind them and certainly that is where the should be.

I think they will be fine.

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The team and rotation will be different in the playoffs, assuming they are healthy.  I think a lot of people underrate how much shortening the rotation does to consistency. I believe this had a lot to do with the young team's success last year - not having anyone over their shoulders to look at on the bench as a replacement.   

There are no back-to-backs in the playoffs.  No immediate shifting of rosters or playing styles from one game to the next.  No 11-12 man deep games.  No tolerance for shot jacking and me-first play.

And to be honest, if at the beginning of the season I told you they would be 75% of the way through the season with 6 more losses than Golden State, would you be apoplectic?  Of course not...maybe you would prefer 3-4 games behind them and certainly that is where the should be.

If you told me that through 60 games they'd be sitting in the 5th seed, 9 games back of the 1 seed, I suspect I would have found that fairly alarming.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2019, 05:58:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

If you told me that through 60 games they'd be sitting in the 5th seed, 9 games back of the 1 seed, I suspect I would have found that fairly alarming.

We will the third seed in like two weeks. Embid just ruled out for additional game, then will be reevaluated. His backup Boban is also hurt now. Pacers probably coming back to earth right now and may have just lost an additional player to injury.

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2019, 10:18:20 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

We will the third seed in like two weeks. Embid just ruled out for additional game, then will be reevaluated. His backup Boban is also hurt now. Pacers probably coming back to earth right now and may have just lost an additional player to injury.
sure but it isn't like Boston has an easy schedule. In fact it is quite difficult. Schedule matters has been a running theme of mine for quite awhile on here because its true.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2019, 10:33:17 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Offseason at this point, so I don't continue to torture myself watching the games we've been having lately.

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2019, 10:36:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Yeah with each game I'm leaning more towards off-season.

But I worried we're gonna go for broke to add AD while keeping Kyrie and we're not gonna have a team left at the end.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2019, 10:45:01 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Yeah with each game I'm leaning more towards off-season.

But I worried we're gonna go for broke to add AD while keeping Kyrie and we're not gonna have a team left at the end.

Regardless the direction will finally be set and no more half win now half development. It will be one or the other with Kyrie holding the key.

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2019, 11:08:24 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
The off-season by a mile.

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2019, 11:20:25 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Off-season. Stopped watching the game and just check the score now. Makes me too frustrated.

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2019, 11:28:11 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Should we conduct a poll on whether or not the Celts will win another game and if so, which one?

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2019, 11:36:28 PM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I would like to change my answer to offseason now.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 05:17:55 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2019, 12:32:48 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The fact that Ainge didn't trade Kyrie at the deadline amidst speculation he might leave this summer tells me he's fully invested in Kyrie for the long-term.

So, that's one thing to be excited about for the offseason (if you want to see Kyrie in Boston for the long-term. Sadly, some don't.)

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2019, 12:38:37 AM »

Offline e001

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • C Us Rise
July 1st.
I'm done with this season.

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2019, 12:40:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The fact that Ainge didn't trade Kyrie at the deadline amidst speculation he might leave this summer tells me he's fully invested in Kyrie for the long-term.

So, that's one thing to be excited about for the offseason (if you want to see Kyrie in Boston for the long-term. Sadly, some don't.)

I've been on the Kyrie side of this for a while but I'm worried that keeping him will mean this general malaise will be a long term fixture as well.

There's just something wrong about this team.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2019, 06:29:52 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
"They aren't as good as we all thought they could be" is not the same thing as "They're just not very good and it's about time everybody started looking at the team more realistically."
Except I never said the latter.  You are attributing things to me I just never said.  I guess that is what happens when you don't actually quote a person and paraphrase their statements.

Sure.  ^^
Here is my exact quote,

"Maybe just maybe, Boston just isn't a great team and maybe it is time this board starts to look at the team more realistically."

Now where I'm from great and good aren't the same thing.  Perhaps you learned that differently, which may account for your confusion.

You're right that I didn't quote you exactly; I disagree that I wasn't fairly presenting the thrust of what you posted.
The thrust of my post was and is that the Celtics aren't a great team.  They aren't a great team for all of the reasons I expressed.
almost right on cue we have the Toronto game reinforcing this point.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip