Poll

Are you more excited about the playoffs or the off-season?

The Playoffs. Let痴 make some noise!
44 (78.6%)
The off-season. Trades, free agency, the Draft.
10 (17.9%)
Neither. I壇 keep this magical regular season going forever if I could
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Are you more excited about the playoffs or the off-season?  (Read 10655 times)

Re: Are you more excited about the playoffs or the off-season?
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2019, 09:22:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
"The team you all care about so much just isn't very good and the players aren't very talented and you all should just set your expectations much lower. I'm not sure why you emotionally invested in them in the first place. By the way I am definitely a Celtics fan like the rest of you."

What a fun way to approach being a Celtics fan. 

I reject your premise.  This Celtics team is absolutely less than the sum of their parts.  I agree that they aren't a great team. I disagree that they aren't particularly talented or that they lack a franchise talent.  Kyrie is that talent, unless you want to define franchise talent as somebody like LeBron or Curry. I don't define it that way because I think that's excessively limiting.

Your post amounts to gas lighting. "Nobody should be disappointed because the Celtics were never any good.". I don't think that's a reasonable take, but I get that it's basically your thesis statement in most of your posts.
Being realistic isn't a bad thing.  This Celtics team isn't as good as we all thought they could be.  Hayward isn't close to being back.  Irving's flaws are being exposed and more pronounced (and many of those flaws are off the court i.e. he injuries and his mouth).  The team has no real interior players especially with Baynes out.  Rozier is a god awful back-up PG (he is ok as a starter).  Brown is just now starting to play like he did last year.  Morris is coming back to what he is and really always was (i.e. a quality bench player that shouldn't be starting).  Horford and Tatum really are the only players meeting reasonable expectations of what they should and can be. 

And no I don't believe Irving is a franchise level talent.  He isn't good enough consistently enough to be that level of player.  He is a top 15ish player when he plays but missing so many games he is probably more like a top 20 player.  All of the C's main competition have at least 1 player that is significantly better than Irving.  That matters when rotations tighten and the playoffs come around. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2019, 09:44:32 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"They aren't as good as we all thought they could be" is not the same thing as "They're just not very good and it's about time everybody started looking at the team more realistically."

Irving is a top 15 player, I agree, but I would say he's a top 10 offensive player.  He's among the most efficient scorers from any part of the floor in the league.  He is more difficult to guard, in many respects, than any player in the East not named Kawhi.  In some ways he's harder to deal with than Kawhi because he's a much better passer than Kawhi is.  That changes if Giannis develops the ability to shoot pull-up threes, but thankfully I don't think he's gotten that down yet (lord help us if he does).

Horford is a top 20 two way player.  His counting stats don't capture the full impact he has.  He is great, even if he's showing his age a bit more this year.

Smart is a NBA All-Defensive 1st team type defender.  He's Tony Allen with a jumpshot.

Jayson Tatum showed enough last year to believe he could be better than he's been so far this year.  He hasn't really added very much to his game.  That's been a disappointment.  As is, he's in the Otto Porter tier of small forwards.  Solid, efficient, not a game breaker.

Brown was steaming pile of dog crap at the start of the year.  He's been quite a bit better lately.  He's still deliberate with the ball and can't shoot free throws as well as he should, but he's figured out where he wants to get his shots (mostly in the post and at the elbow) and his spot up three has improved.  He needs to make a more consistent impact on the boards and on defense.

Terry is flat out awful.  He's never been very good (except for the playoffs last year, when he was a solid starter with some fun big game moments), but this year he's dragged the team down when he's on the floor.

Morris started hot but he's regressed, as you point out.  I don't put that on Morris so much, since anybody could have seen that one coming.  I do put it on the coaching staff that they didn't anticipate Morris turning back into what he's always been, which is a bench scorer whose confidence and swagger didn't quite match his ability to get buckets.

Hayward, I agree, is still a ways off from who he was.  At least he's had games where he looks mostly like his old self, which provides some reason for optimism that he'll be able to play that way more often than not, eventually.  But maybe not this year.  I would agree that perhaps it was unreasonable to expect that he'd be anywhere close to his old self at any point this season.

Even with all of that, the Celtics began this year as the #1 defense in the league by a good margin.  They regressed a bit from that but improved a lot on offense.  For a long stretch they were a top 5 defense and a top 10 offense.

Yes, they lack an interior presence.  That's why Baynes, God love him, is so crucial to this team despite being just a solid backup center and nothing more.  But they've got a ton of switchable, versatile defenders and most of the roster can at least theoretically shoot a three.  They've got one of the most difficult to guard 1-on-1 scorers in the league and a veteran star big man whose combination of strength, discipline, focus, and skill makes him a matchup nightmare for most teams, including the Bucks and Sixers.

All of that should get you more consistent winning than the Celtics have managed this year.  It's the reason that they have, still, a pretty good point differential and many of their statistics suggest they're better than a team that's sitting in the 5th spot in the standings.

The problem is they haven't been able to put it together and go on any sort of run. 

Yes, the talent on the team is flawed and hasn't lived up to expectations this year.  But that's the point.  They could have been and perhaps should have been much better.  I think injuries have taken their toll, the coaching staff hasn't done a good enough job integrating everybody, and I think a lot of players on the team have allowed their impending free agency to stand in the way of their focus on what is supposed to matter. 
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2019, 10:06:37 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I haven't said anything bad about Kyrie yet, but last year I did notice he seemed like he didn't want Tatum to be as good as he was. I actually saw little things that looked like he was sabotaging him. Then this year his comments about Terry and competition...and if anyone knows that Terry plays better when he comfortable and in a rhythm, it's Kyrie.

But what does he do? He keeps talking about more playing time and finally gets more.

And you know what? Watching the games and how they play out...Kyrie very well may be the problem. And it's only him and Gordon that changed in the line up. Nothing else.

Right there is where the "cancer" is. I hope Danny is as intelligent as you all make him to out to be.

Because I still see him as a bonehead for trading Perk at the boneheaded time he did :)  Stopped me from watching the NBA at all, until IT forced me to watch again.

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2019, 10:20:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
"They aren't as good as we all thought they could be" is not the same thing as "They're just not very good and it's about time everybody started looking at the team more realistically."
Except I never said the latter.  You are attributing things to me I just never said.  I guess that is what happens when you don't actually quote a person and paraphrase their statements. 

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2019, 10:49:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Except I never said the latter.  You are attributing things to me I just never said.  I guess that is what happens when you don't actually quote a person and paraphrase their statements.

Sure.  ^^
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2019, 11:10:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Sure.  ^^
Here is my exact quote,

"Maybe just maybe, Boston just isn't a great team and maybe it is time this board starts to look at the team more realistically."

Now where I'm from great and good aren't the same thing.  Perhaps you learned that differently, which may account for your confusion.

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2019, 11:51:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Sure.  ^^
Here is my exact quote,

"Maybe just maybe, Boston just isn't a great team and maybe it is time this board starts to look at the team more realistically."

Now where I'm from great and good aren't the same thing.  Perhaps you learned that differently, which may account for your confusion.

You're right that I didn't quote you exactly; I disagree that I wasn't fairly presenting the thrust of what you posted.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2019, 12:07:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Sure.  ^^
Here is my exact quote,

You're right that I didn't quote you exactly; I disagree that I wasn't fairly presenting the thrust of what you posted.
The thrust of my post was and is that the Celtics aren't a great team.  They aren't a great team for all of the reasons I expressed. 

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2019, 12:22:37 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Offseason. This team just doesn't have the right mix and chemistry.

At this point, anything successful they do in the playoffs will be a pleasant surprise. I have lowered my expectations because we have very little time in the regular season and nothing really has been fixed from game 1.

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2019, 03:10:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
And note that Brad never changes anything. It's because all he knows about ball is his "system" and can't really fathom anything else
Completely not true. When 10-10 he sat Brown and Hayward and began to start Smart and Morris. Big change.

About 10-15 games ago Steven's started implementing sets of 2 man ball between Irving and Horford. It's been a staple of the starting team ever since. Big change.

My guess is we will be seeing another change very soon. Steven's took that Chicago loss upon himself. That to me signifies change is coming.

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2019, 03:39:20 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
And note that Brad never changes anything. It's because all he knows about ball is his "system" and can't really fathom anything else
Completely not true. When 10-10 he sat Brown and Hayward and began to start Smart and Morris. Big change.

About 10-15 games ago Steven's started implementing sets of 2 man ball between Irving and Horford. It's been a staple of the starting team ever since. Big change.

My guess is we will be seeing another change very soon. Steven's took that Chicago loss upon himself. That to me signifies change is coming.

It IS true. That's only changing out players, but they continue to play the exact same way and do the same ineffective stuff over and over.

How many times is a center gonna get blown by with nothing in the way to the rim and no one rebounding?

How many times are they gonna look lost and weak on defense? So weak in fact...that SCRUBS from other teams look like unstoppable superstars while they sneer and laugh on their bench at how inept this team is on defense. If ANYTHING, that p---es me off the most and I cann't even watch anymore. I do not like WEAK. And that's what they are right now.

Brad never changes what people DO...and that's his biggest weakness and flaw as a coach. Which is why when they were only minutes away from the finals and got cold or lost their nerve....HE HAD NO ANSWERS, and they just ran around looking stupid, making mistakes, and bricking shots.

I see Williams is raw...but he doesn't really hurt us while he's on the floor and he has talents that can help this team.  He's not out there because Brad STAYS THE SAME.

Compare him to Bird coaching Indiana.  Like night and day because Bird wasn't worried about no system...he only cared what worked and was effective.

I mean it's just so obvious now around the 60 game mark, but everyone still still thinks he's a great coach.

He really is not...and I like the dude.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 03:45:17 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2019, 03:59:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It IS true. That's only changing out players, but they continue to play the exact same way and do the same ineffective stuff over and over.

How many times is a center gonna get blown by with nothing in the way to the rim and no one rebounding?

How many times are they gonna look lost and weak on defense? So weak in fact...that SCRUBS from other teams look like unstoppable superstars while they sneer and laugh on their bench at how inept this team is on defense. If ANYTHING, that p---es me off the most and I cann't even watch anymore. I do not like WEAK. And that's what they are right now.

Brad never changes what people DO...and that's his biggest weakness and flaw as a coach. Which is why when they were only minutes away from the finals and got cold or lost their nerve....HE HAD NO ANSWERS, and they just ran around looking stupid, making mistakes, and bricking shots.

I see Williams is raw...but he doesn't really hurt us while he's on the floor and he has talents that can help this team.  He's not out there because Brad STAYS THE SAME.

Compare him to Bird coaching Indiana.  Like night and day because Bird wasn't worried about no system...he only cared what worked and was effective.

I mean it's just so obvious now around the 60 game mark, but everyone still still thinks he's a great coach.

He really is not...and I like the dude.
I completely disagree with just about everything you wrote here. I have the stats and quotes from players and stuff to back up my point, but it won't make a difference. You are entrenched in your opinion.

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2019, 04:01:56 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
Aight man...I'm not one to try to beat my opinion in people's heads.

But the proof is on the floor every game. And the results.

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Aight man...I'm not one to try to beat my opinion in people's heads.

But the proof is on the floor every game. And the results.

You're in the wrong place, brother.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2019, 05:18:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I would like to add, for my part, that the fact that the team has not yet added either a competent backup point guard or a sturdy backup big via the buyout / waiver market is an additional reason for my lack of faith in their ability to turn it around.

While I think a competent backup point is already on the roster (Wanamaker), Brad seems disinclined to use him for some reason.

As for the big, obviously we can hope that Baynes will return and provide a boost.  The team has been really good when Baynes is able to play significant minutes.  The problem is that he's been very fragile this year.
- Mark Twain