Author Topic: Our offense needs to move faster.  (Read 5371 times)

Re: Our offense needs to move faster.
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2024, 10:13:17 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I wonder if posters here think Joe is that dogmatic about his offensive approach.

As in, would Joe run a 3PT centric offense if his best players weren't good outside shooters?

I suspect he would.  Last year our top three volume 3PT shooters shot .350, .335, and .336.   

Or, would he have his players concentrate on 3PTs when they have other elite skills?  KP might be an example of that.

Porzingis is scoring at, by far, his highest efficiency ever. His overall FG% is almost 3% higher than his second-highest season, and his effective field goal percentage is nearly 9% higher than his career average. His is shooting nearly 65% on two-pointers, a career high by over 8%.

Jaylen and Jayson's overall field goal percentages are above anything they did with any other coach, Brad or Ime, despite them shooting worse %s on three pointers. 

Joe's offense is at least a standard deviation better than Ime's, and you're seeing it in increased efficiency.

This year, Jayson is shooting his fewest threes per game since 2020-21, and Jaylen is shooting his fewest threes per game since 2019-20. Porzingis is shooting 2 fewer threes per game than he did in Dallas and about the same as he did in NY (.5 more).

Joe is a really good offensive coach. The fact that fans think we are shooting an unreasonable amount of threes is a testament to the spacing and perceived threats of outside shots that the offense is creating, which leads to career-best two-point efficiency by most of our top guys. When Sam Hauser and Payton Pritchard can drive to the basket and score multiple times per game, your spacing is elite.

Re: Our offense needs to move faster.
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2024, 09:49:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I think the most recent Miami game is a good example of how the offense looks when it speeds up a little. The ball moved and the C's were unstoppable. I'd love to see them play like that every night.

I don't think shooting like that is sustainable.  I don't think it was due to speed, or great decision making, or an amazing scheme.  We just had one of the best shooting nights in the history of the franchise.
The point of the comparison is that we don't necessarily need to shoot as we did against Miami as long as we're creating the same kind of shots. When we play faster and move the ball, we get good shots and even if we shoot a lower percentage than the Miami game we should win. Against the Clippers it didn't even look like the team was running the same offense as the previous game.

Eh.  I think our team usually gets "good" outside shots.  The problem generally is that outside shots made are highly variable and less reliable.
You're right that shooting like that Miami game isn't sustainable. I was more thinking about how the pace made getting the shots so easy and got them easy shots at the rim, too. The ease of the creation kept people in rhythm that, I think does help the shot making. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008