Author Topic: What's Brogdon's Problem  (Read 7422 times)

Re: What's Brogdon's Problem
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2023, 08:13:48 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1373
Supposedly he was upset because Joe named White the starter and he thought he would get a shot to compete for the role one article I read. That I get. You have an opportunity for more minutes and a starter role and the team says nah you still a backup.

If it's the trade. I kind of get it. But dude was here one year. We traded smart it was a sign to brogdon we value you as much we just wanted KP.

Al lauded he was dangled for Jrue. I don't see him angry or sulking.

It's probably because different people respond to things differently. If two people are told they were considered but passed over for promotion, one might take it positively and be flattered they were considered, while the other might take it negatively as in "what's wrong with me?" Remember Tatum said he would trade himself for AD when his name came up in trade talks a few years ago, while Jaylen seems to have the opposite view to being involved in trade discussions because he wants to feel wanted.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2023, 11:43:04 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Supposedly he was upset because Joe named White the starter and he thought he would get a shot to compete for the role one article I read. That I get. You have an opportunity for more minutes and a starter role and the team says nah you still a backup.

If it's the trade. I kind of get it. But dude was here one year. We traded smart it was a sign to brogdon we value you as much we just wanted KP.

It's probably because different people respond to things differently. If two people are told they were considered but passed over for promotion, one might take it positively and be flattered they were considered, while the other might take it negatively as in "what's wrong with me?" Remember Tatum said he would trade himself for AD when his name came up in trade talks a few years ago, while Jaylen seems to have the opposite view to being involved in trade discussions because he wants to feel wanted.

Those that are truly confident let things bounce off them. Brown has played second fiddle, so it makes sense that he would be jealous. He is getting his shots and made 3rd team All NBA. He's making great money. Life is good for Jaylen Brown, so I can see him as a more confident leader going forward.

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2023, 11:51:50 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1373

Those that are truly confident let things bounce off them. Brown has played second fiddle, so it makes sense that he would be jealous. He is getting his shots and made 3rd team All NBA. He's making great money. Life is good for Jaylen Brown, so I can see him as a more confident leader going forward.

Or it could be that Jaylen and Malcolm let their amygdala influence them more than they do their cerebral cortex  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2023, 06:32:57 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
He played well for us last regular season and deserves credit for it but in the playoffs turned into what he really is, always injured locker room cancer with a massive ego and a massive contract for a player of his stature, good riddance indeed

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2023, 06:37:13 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
His clock is ticking to be part of a championship team , not just ride the bench .  With his injuries and age advancing he is putting a lot of pressure on himself .  The Celtics trading him is another blow to his ego and mission .

A lot of guys in professional sports go though this , can’t be easy.

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2023, 07:07:31 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
He always seemed a bit different.  Rarely smiled, didn’t seem to mix interpersonally. Very little emotional range on/off the court. At least it seemed that way. That’s all not necessarily bad.  Guys can be different and not negatively influence the team.

Brogdon played well and earned the sixth man award. He turned games around and shot crazy well from three.  I don’t feel bad for him. This uniquely skilled group of human beings who play professional sports typically have far more in the plus column going for them when it comes to what we’re handed in life.  That doesn’t mean they aren’t also vulnerable to everything the rest of us are vulnerable to - depression, anxiety, addiction, personality quirks or disorders, traumatic history, lack of impulse control, relationship issues, etc.  But for getting traded along with your $30M salary - that in itself I don’t feel bad about.  For wives and kids - yes, depending on the circumstances I feel bad about that. Jrue Holiday’s wife articulated that well in her statements post-trade.

Good luck to Malcolm - as long as he isn’t a Laker I’ll be mostly indifferent as to how he does.

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2023, 07:45:38 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
He always seemed a bit different.  Rarely smiled, didn’t seem to mix interpersonally. Very little emotional range on/off the court. At least it seemed that way. That’s all not necessarily bad.  Guys can be different and not negatively influence the team.

Brogdon played well and earned the sixth man award. He turned games around and shot crazy well from three.  I don’t feel bad for him. This uniquely skilled group of human beings who play professional sports typically have far more in the plus column going for them when it comes to what we’re handed in life.  That doesn’t mean they aren’t also vulnerable to everything the rest of us are vulnerable to - depression, anxiety, addiction, personality quirks or disorders, traumatic history, lack of impulse control, relationship issues, etc.  But for getting traded along with your $30M salary - that in itself I don’t feel bad about.  For wives and kids - yes, depending on the circumstances I feel bad about that. Jrue Holiday’s wife articulated that well in her statements post-trade.

Good luck to Malcolm - as long as he isn’t a Laker I’ll be mostly indifferent as to how he does.

I'm 10000% certain 99% of this boards spouse would be totally fine getting traded to another city if it came with a $30m yearly salary. I'm pretty confident in my 25-35 age bracket my wife would have happily accepted a trade in the low 6 figures.
ok fine

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2023, 08:20:42 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It was funny seeing players and staff talk about Rob and Malcolm after they were traded. They would gush about Rob's growth and how much they would miss him as a person. With Brogdon, the term 'true professional' came up a number of times and they simply only wished him the best. Nowhere near the lovefest they had for Rob. It definitely sounded like he did his own thing.

I think there was a lot more behind the scenes regarding Brogdon's displeasure - not only about the trade, but also the comments from Joe about White being the starter. And rather than dissipate, I believe this manifested throughout the summer. I'll admit, I was completely wrong on how I thought Brogdon would react. When training camp rolled around, I don't think it was as much about if Brogdon would be traded, but about when. And I think the Celtics did a good job keeping the drama under wraps, while also quickly shipping out somebody who could have brought down the locker room.

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2023, 08:29:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It was funny seeing players and staff talk about Rob and Malcolm after they were traded. They would gush about Rob's growth and how much they would miss him as a person. With Brogdon, the term 'true professional' came up a number of times and they simply only wished him the best. Nowhere near the lovefest they had for Rob. It definitely sounded like he did his own thing.

I think there was a lot more behind the scenes regarding Brogdon's displeasure - not only about the trade, but also the comments from Joe about White being the starter. And rather than dissipate, I believe this manifested throughout the summer. I'll admit, I was completely wrong on how I thought Brogdon would react. When training camp rolled around, I don't think it was as much about if Brogdon would be traded, but about when. And I think the Celtics did a good job keeping the drama under wraps, while also quickly shipping out somebody who could have brought down the locker room.

Part of the reason for that is probably because Rob had been there for five seasons.  He was there as a rookie, when he was forgetting his wallet and showing up late.  He was the guy who got injured but still battled back to play alongside them in the Finals. 

Brogdon was a veteran who hadn't built a huge identity as a Celtic yet. 

Again, to equate it to our daily lives, it's like if a co-worker you've known for five years leaves, who started out raw and then became an integral part of the unit, versus a guy from another department who transferred in for a year, did his job well, and then left.  The first guy is probably going to get a bigger celebration, even if guy #2 was a perfectly good dude.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2023, 08:38:42 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

This is a quote from Tatum:
"A lot of those guys that we traded, I was really close with. I spent my entire career thus far with Smart and almost my whole career with Grant and Rob, and a year with Malcolm. It's always tough to see guys leave, especially when it's on short notice."

I don't think it is a bit surprising that players were closer to Smart or RWill than Brogdon simply due to the number of years they played together.  As Tatum says, he has been with Smart his entire career.  I don't think there is anything to read into these comments beyond this.

Brogdon came to the Celtics, accepted a lesser role than he has had through his career, was thrust into the whole coaching situation in Boston, and simply handled everything like a "true professional".  And from that, people are taking that to he wasn't liked in the locker room because he doesn't smile enough or somehow he was a problem in the locker room?

I don't get it.  I thought he was a great player and a great teammate and would have been again this season had the Holiday trade not happened.  I am sure that he will be fine.  POR will probably move him to a contender at some point and he will do well where ever he ends up.

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2023, 08:43:03 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Brogdon seems to be saying the right things in Portland:

“They want me here, I want to be here. There’s a lot of misleading information out there about they need to trade me or I want to go… I’m embracing being here.” — Malcolm Brogdon

Video:  https://twitter.com/AaronJFentress/status/1709773648339628237

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2023, 09:20:13 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

“They want me here, I want to be here. There’s a lot of misleading information out there about they need to trade me or I want to go… I’m embracing being here.” — Malcolm Brogdon

Of course he is, just as he has done his entire career.  Even if you don't buy the "true professional" narrative, it is in his best interest to act like a true professional at this point in time.  I think Brogdon probably would prefer to have a starting role on a contending team.  But whether he ends up staying in POR or gets traded to a contender, it doesn't help his cause to start acting in any way other than professionally, especially right now with all the other narratives that are floating around.  Brogdon is mad about the near trade.  Brogdon was moody and not liked in the locker room.  Brogdon was mad that Mazzulla designated White the starter.  The worst thing Brogdon could do for himself is feed into all that.  The best thing he can do is take the high road and get on the court and play well.

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2023, 10:51:23 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

Of course he is, just as he has done his entire career.  Even if you don't buy the "true professional" narrative, it is in his best interest to act like a true professional at this point in time.  I think Brogdon probably would prefer to have a starting role on a contending team.  But whether he ends up staying in POR or gets traded to a contender, it doesn't help his cause to start acting in any way other than professionally, especially right now with all the other narratives that are floating around.  Brogdon is mad about the near trade.  Brogdon was moody and not liked in the locker room.  Brogdon was mad that Mazzulla designated White the starter.  The worst thing Brogdon could do for himself is feed into all that.  The best thing he can do is take the high road and get on the court and play well.

Yeah I agree.  It unfortunately became evident that Brogdon was upset.  I will say I'm glad he didn't do what a lot of players do and publicly demand a deal.  It would have hurt his value.  I completely buy he was more upset and not being named starter.  He talked a lot about it last year how hard it was coming off the bench even though he won 6th man of the year and it probably kept him healthy throughout last season.  I love Brogdon as a player and I wanted him on the C's for a long time.  If it wasn't for health concerns I would rather have had him and Rob on this team the Jrue.  Jrue will be great and is an iron man but a healthy Brogdon and Rob are great players.  The but part was way to big for a team trying to win it all.  They just miss to many games and can't be relied on when it matters most.  Missing Brogdon in the Miami series killed the c's. 

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2023, 11:24:35 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Yeah I agree.  It unfortunately became evident that Brogdon was upset.  I will say I'm glad he didn't do what a lot of players do and publicly demand a deal.  It would have hurt his value.  I completely buy he was more upset and not being named starter.  He talked a lot about it last year how hard it was coming off the bench even though he won 6th man of the year and it probably kept him healthy throughout last season.  I love Brogdon as a player and I wanted him on the C's for a long time.  If it wasn't for health concerns I would rather have had him and Rob on this team the Jrue.  Jrue will be great and is an iron man but a healthy Brogdon and Rob are great players.  The but part was way to big for a team trying to win it all.  They just miss to many games and can't be relied on when it matters most.  Missing Brogdon in the Miami series killed the c's.

We should probably be careful when it comes to presuming that the lack of evidence is all the evidence we need, though.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2023, 12:09:22 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

We should probably be careful when it comes to presuming that the lack of evidence is all the evidence we need, though.

I think I agree with Kernewek.  How exactly did it become evident that Brogdon was upset about not being a starter, if that is what is being presumed he was upset about?  Preferring to start and being "upset" that you were 6th man and won 6MoY, are two different things.  And if the narrative is that he was upset about not starting, why would he be upset that they tried to trade him to LAC, where he would probably start?