Author Topic: Brogdon Trade Idea  (Read 4555 times)

Re: Brogdon Trade Idea
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2023, 08:04:30 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
Honestly, I'm not caring about what he believes in.  I'm looking at Isaac as if healthy fills a position of need for the Celtics, specially with Porzingis having the foot issue, Williams with his knee and Horford with his age.  Yeah Isaac has health concerns but if he's healthy he can contribute.  With this trade though getting Anthony takes the role of Brogdon and I believe would fit perfect.  Anthony and Brogdon average almost the same time, assist, rebounds and steals.  Brogdon score almost 2 more points a game but Anthony could make up the 2 points easy playing on a better team.

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2023, 07:26:28 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
What about Brogdon to the Bulls, and I'm not truly a fan of trading Brogdon, just because we're light at ball handlers, but Ball was just announced out for the year.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2023, 08:50:19 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
What about Brogdon to the Bulls, and I'm not truly a fan of trading Brogdon, just because we're light at ball handlers, but Ball was just announced out for the year.
for whom?

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2023, 08:58:44 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

They’ve known Ball would be out for awhile, so they already resigned Coby White and signed Javon Carter.  With Caruso, they have three rotation PGs on the roster.  Brogdon might be better than anything they have, but it’s not like they have an actual roster hole to fill.

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2023, 09:20:08 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
i'm all for trading brogdon and this trade sort of has the right idea, but just a wrong player involved. i have no confidence in isaac's health or the reliability of his game given that he has barely played since injuries.

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2023, 09:54:58 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
for whom?

That is my question.  And more than just for whom, also, for what purpose?  What team need is being addressed by trading Brogdon?  When Brogdon was almost traded for Porzingis, that made sense.  We had a surplus at combo guard and we lacked depth in the big rotation.  Now that Smart has been traded for Porzingis, we don't have the surplus and we don't have the need.  Trading Brogdon or Smart made sense, it makes no sense to me to trade both.

Brogdon plays a key role.  He is 6th man, first guard off the bench.  Trade him now and you create a hole.  Now I guess you can say that Cole Anthony replaces Brogdon, but is that an upgrade?  And Issac is at best a reclamation project.  Do you trade a solid, contributing player like Brogdon for lesser players?  Cole Anthony makes our rotation less and Issac may never play.  I don't see that as helping our title chances.

That is how I look at a possible trade with the Bulls or anyone.  What are we getting that helps us more than Brogdon helps us?

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2023, 10:03:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Bulls didn't extend Williams.  Might they do something like Williams, Caruso for Brogdon and both the 24 1st's

I like that trade for Boston.  You get a replacement for Brogdon in Caruso (he isn't as good but is capable) and you add a young PF that can stretch the floor. 

Chicago gets a couple of 1st's which better positions them for a reset and they can still move Brogdon elsewhere if they aren't competitive at mid season. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2023, 10:34:14 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Bulls didn't extend Williams.  Might they do something like Williams, Caruso for Brogdon and both the 24 1st's

I like that trade for Boston.  You get a replacement for Brogdon in Caruso (he isn't as good but is capable) and you add a young PF that can stretch the floor. 

Chicago gets a couple of 1st's which better positions them for a reset and they can still move Brogdon elsewhere if they aren't competitive at mid season.
Why do you think Brogdon is so bad that you need to attach two firsts? As you say Brogdon > Caruso, does that mean you believe the guy the Bulls didn't value to extend is worth two firsts?

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2023, 10:53:01 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Why do you think Brogdon is so bad that you need to attach two firsts? As you say Brogdon > Caruso, does that mean you believe the guy the Bulls didn't value to extend is worth two firsts?

I am not sure how to gauge the value of Patrick Williams.  He wasn't extended, but neither was Grant Williams last season.  They can still offer PWilliams the QO and he will be a restricted FA.  I am not sure what you can concluded based just on the fact that an extension was not worked out.  PWilliams seems like a promising young big.  Career 40+% 3P% but a bit undersized (6'-7").  Only 21 years old (actually will be 22 in a few days).

Patrick Williams has some promise but I see no reason to attach 2 pick to Brogdon to get him.  And Caruso is fine, but I don't see him moving any needles for the Celtics.  This seems like another constructed Brogdon trade that works in theory but appears to me to serve no purpose.

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2023, 10:56:56 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Feel like every Brogdon trade that has been proposed makes the Celtics worse. Malcolm can play the 1,2 and some 3, he’s a very good shooter and just won 6MOTY. Plus, Smart is gone so the C’s need the depth at guard.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2023, 11:40:09 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I think Patrick Williams is worth two picks in the 20's and I think it would take that for Chicago to even consider moving him.  I like his shooting touch and think he'd be a great fit.  He makes under 10 million, so more salary is needed which is why I included Caruso who is a lesser version of Brogdon.  Those 2 make less than Brogdon this year, which gives Boston a bit more wiggle room as well.

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2023, 12:03:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I think Patrick Williams is worth two picks in the 20's and I think it would take that for Chicago to even consider moving him.  I like his shooting touch and think he'd be a great fit.  He makes under 10 million, so more salary is needed which is why I included Caruso who is a lesser version of Brogdon.  Those 2 make less than Brogdon this year, which gives Boston a bit more wiggle room as well.

I think you just made the point others are trying to make.  If Patrick Williams is worth 2 picks on his own (I have my doubts on that), and Caruso is filler, we are essentially giving Brogdon away for nothing.  I see Brogdon alone as having more value than PWill.  Caruso is filler.  Add in a second round pick in 2030 if needed but not two near term firsts.

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2023, 02:32:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I think you just made the point others are trying to make.  If Patrick Williams is worth 2 picks on his own (I have my doubts on that), and Caruso is filler, we are essentially giving Brogdon away for nothing.  I see Brogdon alone as having more value than PWill.  Caruso is filler.  Add in a second round pick in 2030 if needed but not two near term firsts.
I was commenting on the post about attaching 2 1st's to Brogdon.  It wasn't because Brogdon was bad it is because Williams is 21 (almsot 22), a prototypical stretch 4, that is a better career 3 point shooter than Brogdon.  I like Williams a lot and think Boston is better after making that trade both this year and long term.  He also isn't hurt, on the wrong side of 30, and with a big contract (this year anyway).  I like the rotation better with Williams

Starters - White, Brown, Tatum, Porzingis, Rob
Rotation - Caruso, Pritchard, Hauser, Pat, Brisset, Horford
Deep Bench - Banton, Scrubb, Davison, Walsh, Kornet

To me that is a better team with less holes on the bench.  I worry a lot about Zinger, Rob, and Al staying healthy and having Pat lessens some of that risk, and I absolutely expect Brogdon to miss 20+ games, since he always does and ended last year hurt.  Remove the injury risk, add a great shooter at a position of need and it seems like a win win to me. Especially a young uber talented player (there is afterall a reason he was the 4th pick in the draft, not that long ago).

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2023, 04:43:54 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
The Bulls trade could be interesting but not sure how much I like it.  The other team I thought of would be the Houston Rockets.  They spent a lot of money this year and has two players I'd be interested in.

Celtics - Malcolm Brogdon
Rocket - Kevin Porter Jr and Jae'Sean Tate

This gives the Rockets a legit 6th man.  The Celtics get a young point guard in Porter Jr that's under control for 4 years and 16 million a year.  This plays a big part in this idea specially cause he's cheaper then Brogdon, younger, 4 years instead of 2 and also if for some reason White wants out since he's only got 2 years we have a starting point guard.  Tate gives the Celtics another small/shooting guard that can come in with Brissett to give both Brown and Tatum spells. 

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2023, 05:09:17 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I wouldn't trade a traffic cone for Isaac. He can take his right-wing grifting and shove it. He is also more fragile than any other player in the league.

Wow, I didn't know anything about Jonathan Isaac until I saw your post and googled around. He wrote a book with Ben Shapiro?!? Were Alex Jones and Ann Coulter busy?

I've got no issues with Christians- people can believe whatever they want. I do have an issue with people that claim they are Christian, then manufacture an immigration crisis to send poor people back to some oppressive regime. There's a ton of money in this country. Picking on the poor people is certainly not Christian.

Also, Isaac hasn't played since Aug. 2, 2020. I think I'll pass.

Did you read the book? You did a quick Google search and this is what you came back with? Come on man

Did I read a book by Ben Shapiro? Nope. That guy is bad news.

I don't know much about Isaac, so I can't comment. It sounds like he might be hanging out with the wrong crowd. Hate is contagious.

Pretty obvious reading the thread where the source of the hate is. Isaac hasn't said a hateful thing to anyone.