Author Topic: Grant Williams Sign and Trade Ideas  (Read 5733 times)

Grant Williams Sign and Trade Ideas
« on: June 18, 2023, 12:30:11 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I didn't see a thread for this and with the constant rumors of multiple teams interest in him what makes sense?

Boston Sports Gordo
The Celtics are exploring using Grant Williams in a sign and trade, according to @ringernba. Indiana, Orlando, and Dallas have all shown interest in Williams, according to @MikeAScotto. https://t.co/T41OmBsBg4

Orlando
Grant Williams for - Jonathan Isaac (He has an exhibit 3 contract protecting him from reinjuring his same preexisting injury), Wendell Carter.  I like both players.  Isaac when healthy is a beast.  Long, strong, 3 & D at PF.  Came back and played limited minutes last year.  Full offseason to continue to rehab.  I'm sure Orlando would love to offload his last 2 years.  He can start next to Rob and he can come off the bench.  He's only 25.  Carter is a good rebounder and post player but not a rim protector. 

Indy - Jackson or Jalen Smith would be the two I'd go after.  I'm sure Jalen Smith is the one they'd prefer to trade.  Jackson is a per minute beast.  Hasn't gotten the chance he should but when he's gotten minutes he's a walking double double.  He's in the mold of rob williams and would be a great bench piece and spot started to backup rob.  Jalen Smith can rebound and will shoot 3's but he did not develop his 3 ball last year.  His 3 pt shooting was horrendous and he would put up a high volume of shots in a short period of time and miss a lot.  If he can develop his shot he'd be a very good PF/C.  I like him a lot but he needs to further develop his shot.  He can space the floor only if he can prove he can bring that 28% up to league average.

Dallas - Not sure what the C's would want back here.  I don't see anything of interest.

Re: Grant Williams Sign and Trade Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 01:16:03 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Pass on Issac cause of injuries, to get Carter, got to include more by picks or another player..like to have either Smith or Jackson..try getting Turner be awesome
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 01:26:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
It's good to aim high, but I think it will most likely be something along the lines of trading him to the Pacers for Theis.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 01:38:26 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's good to aim high, but I think it will most likely be something along the lines of trading him to the Pacers for Theis.
Honestly not the worst outcome tbh. Theis is pretty solid big man depth. Better than Muscala or Griffin.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 01:52:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
I didn't see a thread for this and with the constant rumors of multiple teams interest in him what makes sense?

Boston Sports Gordo
The Celtics are exploring using Grant Williams in a sign and trade, according to @ringernba. Indiana, Orlando, and Dallas have all shown interest in Williams, according to @MikeAScotto. https://t.co/T41OmBsBg4

Orlando
Grant Williams for - Jonathan Isaac (He has an exhibit 3 contract protecting him from reinjuring his same preexisting injury), Wendell Carter.  I like both players.  Isaac when healthy is a beast.  Long, strong, 3 & D at PF.  Came back and played limited minutes last year.  Full offseason to continue to rehab.  I'm sure Orlando would love to offload his last 2 years.  He can start next to Rob and he can come off the bench.  He's only 25.  Carter is a good rebounder and post player but not a rim protector. 

Indy - Jackson or Jalen Smith would be the two I'd go after.  I'm sure Jalen Smith is the one they'd prefer to trade.  Jackson is a per minute beast.  Hasn't gotten the chance he should but when he's gotten minutes he's a walking double double.  He's in the mold of rob williams and would be a great bench piece and spot started to backup rob.  Jalen Smith can rebound and will shoot 3's but he did not develop his 3 ball last year.  His 3 pt shooting was horrendous and he would put up a high volume of shots in a short period of time and miss a lot.  If he can develop his shot he'd be a very good PF/C.  I like him a lot but he needs to further develop his shot.  He can space the floor only if he can prove he can bring that 28% up to league average.

Dallas - Not sure what the C's would want back here.  I don't see anything of interest.

What about Christian Wood? Dallas was actively shopping him at the deadline.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 01:56:25 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think sign and trades are pretty difficult to execute for a team like us. The outgoing salary value is his last season's salary (4.3m) and the incoming salary value is whatever the first year's value is (I'm guessing 12m?). Right?

In all likelihood, he would need to go to a team that has cap space, and the player we get back would have a salary of, at most 5.375m. Not sure what players may be available for that. Obviously aggregating his salary with others opens up other trade possibilities, but it also makes it even more complicated.

The best solution is him going to the Pacers to create a trade exception plus sending us back a draft pick. In that case, does anyone know if the trade exception would be the last season's salary amount (4.3) or whatever his first year's value is (12mish)?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 03:00:47 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 03:01:18 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Might be able to get Isaac since he’s chronically injured, but I don’t see why Orlando would want Grant over Carter Jr. Wendell is a better player and he has great size.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 03:31:26 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
I wouldn’t mind a Grant Williams to Dallas for Christian Wood sign and trade
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 03:40:07 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I feel like doube sign and trades are rare, but I wouldn't hate that move. I'm not as high on Christian Wood as some, but we really need some big man help.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 06:30:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Ugh ….brutal thought

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 06:43:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Might be able to get Isaac since he’s chronically injured, but I don’t see why Orlando would want Grant over Carter Jr. Wendell is a better player and he has great size.
WCJ is bigger, better, and on an insanely cheap deal (part of my constant clamouring). Orlando would be insane to pick Grant over him, especially when Grant is a weirder fit next to Banchero & Wagner.

Dallas would be intriguing. Any chance we could steal Jaden Hardy or Josh Green? :P
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2023, 07:52:57 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I don't like the idea of losing the one front court guy who has some real toughness. But he's probably sick of Joe not giving him consistent minutes and wants out. My guess is his agent is trying to create a market for him.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2023, 09:10:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

This would hard cap us.  We already have too much salary to do this.  It is not an option for us to take back a signed and traded player.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2023, 09:17:11 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I don't like the idea of losing the one front court guy who has some real toughness. But he's probably sick of Joe not giving him consistent minutes and wants out. My guess is his agent is trying to create a market for him.

He’s a cross between tough and whiny. 

I’ll miss his 3-point shot. If Cs are live by the 3, they’re likely becoming worse at the 3 by trading Grant.

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 02:48:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I'd be interested in a Grant ( if the Celtics are moving on from him...) to Dallas for Kleber and Josh Green.