Author Topic: Rumor: Suns Want Brogdon  (Read 4542 times)

Rumor: Suns Want Brogdon
« on: June 16, 2023, 06:41:24 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Phoenix is interested in Boston Celtics guard Malcolm Brogdon and Atlanta Hawks forward John Collins, according to Jake Fischer of Yahoo Sports:

"The Suns acquiring either of those veterans might require a third team to accept Paul's outgoing salary, such as the Houston Rockets with their $60 million of cap space and counting, but Brogdon and Collins are a pair of players Phoenix has registered interest in during trade conversations with Boston and Atlanta, respectively, that date back to the trade deadline, sources said."

The Suns could be in need of a new point guard this summer if they decided to move on from veteran Chris Paul.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 06:53:48 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Rumor: Suns Want Brogdon
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 06:51:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I want Ayton. Brogdon and filler for Ayton. That is our big man rotation reinforced.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 06:58:47 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I want Ayton. Brogdon and filler for Ayton. That is our big man rotation reinforced.

The biggest problem with bringing Ayton to the Celtics is that he shares the same major flaws our stars do, which is a lack of mental & physical toughness.

In theory the trade’s a no brainer, but in reality, it could exacerbate our flaws.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 07:27:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hm, interesting. We could do Brogdon + Gallo for Ayton. I'm not sure it's the best way to balance our roster, but that is because I am down on Ayton. In a vacuum, an 18/10 big with good efficiency and solid defence would be a no brainer. But, he can't pass, has never improved besides minor year-to-year defensive steps, and just isn't as good as he should be.

He's 6'11", 250lbs, with a 7'5" wingspan. Incredible athleticism, and has good ball skills with a good touch & solid dribbling. He should be the reincarnation of David Robinson!! Granted, Ayton is the same age as a rookie Admiral, but still!

I would probably be alright with such a move. Would Phoenix?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 07:39:39 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
If a team with Paul, Booker, Durant, and a coach like Monty Williams can't get Ayton in line, our team and staff certainly aren't going to.

Still, I'm tempted because skilled big men like him are rarely available and we have a huge need there One tough thing is he also has 3 more years at $102m total. If we didn't have to give up much (Brogdon, Gallinari, Pritchard, a protected 1st) then maybe it'd be worth the risk. It's just hard to envision the team eventually being able to cobble enough role players with whatever is left of the budget in 1-2 years as Brown's max hits and then Tatum's. I guess that means Rob would almost certainly have to be part of the deal, even though he's on a cheap, desirable contract. Adding Ayton would also put a lot of pressure on replacing one of Smart and White next offseason to get below the 2nd apron (assuming you still want to keep Horford around the last year of his deal as like a veteran leader-type).

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 07:39:53 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Ayton has been linked the Hawks in the past. Maybe the Hawks would send Collins to the Suns and a different piece to the Cs. Capella? Hunter?

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 07:43:23 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
I think realistically, if you have a chance to add Ayton to Tatum, Brown, Smart, White and Rob and keep Horford around to mentor him, you have to do it. We've all been talking about finding a replacement for Horford, this is likely the best you can do. Ayton has his flaws, but maybe Horford is the right guy to guide him into taking the next step. People had similar issues with Robert Parish when he was on the Warriors and the Celtics were willing to take a chance on him.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 09:12:41 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
is there anybody the suns arent interested in right now?
Greg

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 09:15:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707

Chris Paul

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 09:16:48 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
From a long-term cap perspective, getting Ayton’s $30+ million salary on the books helps, because he’s a much better tradeable salary with the new restrictions — no need to aggregate, and he can take back a lot.  It’s really easy to trade for him before July 1st from a cap perspective also — Brogdan and anyone else would work.

From a fit, I have concerns, but sometimes guys need a change of scenery.  He’s been unhappy in Phoenix for a long time — getting out might reinvigorate him.  But I don’t know how playable he is at the same time with Al and Rob — how many bigs playing drop coverage can we have on the court at once?

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 09:53:38 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
I am not very high on Ayton, but who knows, there are always reasons players don't have a bigger impact on certain teams.
If this rumor ends up being real, hopefully the C's know more about the situation than us fans.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2023, 09:56:35 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Chris Paul

hah! touche'

Greg

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2023, 10:11:52 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
The Celtics should find a 3rd team willing to take on Chris Paul’s contract. The Suns can guarantee his contract up to $30.8M in any trade; then the 3rd team can waive him. Then Cp3 signs with the Celtics.

Would be GREAT to also get back an impact player in the same deal (MARKKANEN/Porzingis).

The Jazz have cap space + Markkanen OR can send out Clarkson/Kelly Olynyk to PHX or BOS.

The Wizards are entering a rebuild + have Porzingis OR can send out Gafford/Monte Morris/Delon Wright to PHX or BOS.

Both teams meet the criteria to help the Celtics get CP3. Maybe Danny Ainge will be a good friend and trade us Markkanen for a fair price. I doubt it, but it’s worth a try

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2023, 10:52:48 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
This is really a no-brainer if you can get Ayton. I really like Malcolm but scoring from that position is easier to find than a legit big and it's not a given that he's going to make it through the year healthy again. This was the best case scenario for him health-wise and he still wasn't there when it counted.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2023, 12:01:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would probably be alright with such a move. Would Phoenix?

Would Joe?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes