Author Topic: Bradley Beal?  (Read 9443 times)

Re: Bradley Beal?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2023, 05:26:38 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I'm all for exploring JB trades, particularly in light of the changes to the CBA. However, I just don't see how any JB trade gets done this offseason. Any team trading for him would have to consider him as a one-year rental. What incentive would Brown have to committing or even suggesting he might resign with that team. He wants his Supermax. Also, as soon as any wind of trade discussions comes out (and it will), that could ruin our chance to sign him, even to the Supermax. So, if Brad is going to trade him, he better be willing to come to agreement on that first phone call. I just don't see a deal happening. Seems much more likely they sign him to the Supermax, run it back, and then reevaluate next year (when it will be difficult to trade him at that point trying to find a partner to match the 50m).

They would trade JB after he signs the Super Max, which he could ink over the summer I believe. Course no team is going to give up much when he’s a flight risk. You sign him and after the waiting period is over, they can move him.

As I understand it, once he is signed to the Supermax this summer, they can't trade him for a year. So he would be gauranteed to be on the team for this coming season. They could trade him for the following season, and yes, the fact that he is locked in for 4 more years will have value, but the fact that he will be Supermaxed at 50+ per year will also decrease his value. It will also be tough to match that type of salary with a trade partner. It can be done, but I think options will be limited. As others have said, if you wanted to trade Jaylen (which I didn't), the time to do it was last offseason, but it didn't make sense then. C's are in a tough position. Hopefully Brad can get creative and work on improving around the J's. Think you will see one of Smart, Brogdon or White moved. Hoping its not White.

He will actually be locked in for 5 more years. The 2023-24 season is the last on his current contract at $32'ish and then the 5 year deal starts in 2024-25 season with the big money.  You point is relevant in any case.  John Wall was one of the first to sign a super big contract (I don't recall if it was actually a supermax contract).  That contract ended up being an albatross.  Klay Thompson too, many end up that way.  Barring catastrophic injury though, I think they will be able to trade him in the future.  It won't be easy, but it will be possible.  Some team will think he is the key to getting over the top.  Having one of these contracts on you team is one thing, having two of them is the problem.

I'm assuming the final year will be a PO, because it pretty much always is for star players.

As regards to Beal, I'm just not sure why the c's make this trade. He's 15 million dollars more expensive next year then more or less equally expensive as Jaylen the three years after that. So he doesn't solve your CBA problems.

He's three years older, a less healthy recently, plays a less premium position (combo guard vs wing) and has a no trade clause which makes him harder to move if you ever wanted to get off his contract.

It's just not enough of an upgrade, if at all, to overcome all that.

I would have agreed with you before the season started and been against making a swap. However, after watching Jaylen crumble under pressure in the playoffs, I’d be willing to make the trade. Brown wasn’t just bad in the ECF, he was abysmal on both ends. Going to be near impossible to win a championship with him performing like that in crucial games. Brown also seems unable or unwilling to play off Tatum. It’s like he still won’t accept that Jayson is the #1 option on the team.

I disagree with pretty much this entire comment. First off I think its bad process to make long term decision of a single playoff series. I don't think he was bad defensively overall, although he had a bad game two on that end. He was pretty great in the playoffs overall before that series. I don't think he has any problem playing off Tatum, the team is always good when those guys are off the floor.

And even if all those things were true, and they aren't, the answer isn't Beal.

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2023, 06:09:53 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Too injury-prone.  Do people want to pay $210 million over four years to a 30 year old who has missed at least a quarter of the season the past four years?  Who shot around 30% from 3PT the season before this one, and who had a sub-.500 eFG%?  Who doesn't play defense, and who has only played in 45 career playoff games?

For perspective, career playoff shooting:

Beal:44.2% FG%, 34.7% 3PT%, .501 eFG%

Brown: 47.9% FG%, 36.2% 3PT%, .548 eFG%

In his last playoff appearance, Beal averaged 4.0 turnovers per game.  But by all means, let's concentrate on one bad series for Brown.

Sure, if he’s a better fit next to Tatum and they win a championship. Beal is turning 30, JB will be turning 27.  Numbers are pretty similar, but JB has always been on better/more talented teams. Think about how much easier it would be for Beal in Boston with Tatum being the opposing teams main concern.  Would take a ton of pressure off Bradley and he’d get better looks on offense. Beal has been THE guy in Washington for a while. JB has never had to carry that kind of load. I would also prefer having a player that can actually make his free throws under pressure.

There really aren’t a lot of players out there that may be available who will give you comparable talent. Lillard who is turning 33, so you’d have what, a 2 year window with him? KAT, but he has his own issues with decision making and effort. Beal might not be perfect, but at some point you have to try something new.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 10:13:53 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2023, 06:43:42 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 172
I'm all for exploring JB trades, particularly in light of the changes to the CBA. However, I just don't see how any JB trade gets done this offseason. Any team trading for him would have to consider him as a one-year rental. What incentive would Brown have to committing or even suggesting he might resign with that team. He wants his Supermax. Also, as soon as any wind of trade discussions comes out (and it will), that could ruin our chance to sign him, even to the Supermax. So, if Brad is going to trade him, he better be willing to come to agreement on that first phone call. I just don't see a deal happening. Seems much more likely they sign him to the Supermax, run it back, and then reevaluate next year (when it will be difficult to trade him at that point trying to find a partner to match the 50m).

They would trade JB after he signs the Super Max, which he could ink over the summer I believe. Course no team is going to give up much when he’s a flight risk. You sign him and after the waiting period is over, they can move him.

As I understand it, once he is signed to the Supermax this summer, they can't trade him for a year. So he would be gauranteed to be on the team for this coming season. They could trade him for the following season, and yes, the fact that he is locked in for 4 more years will have value, but the fact that he will be Supermaxed at 50+ per year will also decrease his value. It will also be tough to match that type of salary with a trade partner. It can be done, but I think options will be limited. As others have said, if you wanted to trade Jaylen (which I didn't), the time to do it was last offseason, but it didn't make sense then. C's are in a tough position. Hopefully Brad can get creative and work on improving around the J's. Think you will see one of Smart, Brogdon or White moved. Hoping its not White.

He will actually be locked in for 5 more years. The 2023-24 season is the last on his current contract at $32'ish and then the 5 year deal starts in 2024-25 season with the big money.  You point is relevant in any case.  John Wall was one of the first to sign a super big contract (I don't recall if it was actually a supermax contract).  That contract ended up being an albatross.  Klay Thompson too, many end up that way.  Barring catastrophic injury though, I think they will be able to trade him in the future.  It won't be easy, but it will be possible.  Some team will think he is the key to getting over the top.  Having one of these contracts on you team is one thing, having two of them is the problem.

I'm assuming the final year will be a PO, because it pretty much always is for star players.

As regards to Beal, I'm just not sure why the c's make this trade. He's 15 million dollars more expensive next year then more or less equally expensive as Jaylen the three years after that. So he doesn't solve your CBA problems.

He's three years older, a less healthy recently, plays a less premium position (combo guard vs wing) and has a no trade clause which makes him harder to move if you ever wanted to get off his contract.

I would have agreed with you before the season started and been against making a swap. However, after watching Jaylen crumble under pressure in the playoffs, I’d be willing to make the trade. Brown wasn’t just bad in the ECF, he was abysmal on both ends. Going to be near impossible to win a championship with him performing like that in crucial games. Brown also seems unable or unwilling to play off Tatum. It’s like he still won’t accept that Jayson is the #1 option on the team.
If you think No-D Beal is an upgrade over Jaylen Brown, you must also be in favor of Joe Mazz's emphasis of offense over defense.

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2023, 08:44:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
The one thing I do not like about Jaylen for Beal is that I feel they are similar types of players in terms of being a competitor to Tatum. Both are high volume shot takers. Both want the ball. Beal has the ball even more than Jaylen. Beal is a better passer and decision maker but his passing is solid more than great.

Beal is an offensive engine in his own right. A guy who can be the #1 guy on a team and have the offense run around him. Be the main creator. Much like Tatum is. And to a lesser extent Jaylen (lesser because of his poor passing).

Beal is not so much a complement to Tatum who will play off of Tatum as a similar type of offensive engine. So you have two guys who are used to having everything revolve around them.

A competitor more than a complement = like Jaylen.

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2023, 08:50:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Beal will offer better balance due to his superior ball-handling, passing and decision making.

Beal will be a worse defender. Jaylen is bigger a 6-7 230lbs and can guard three positions. Beal is a one position defender. Beal does not fit well with our three combo guards. Jaylen can play SF and shift Tatum to PF which allows us to maximize those three combo guards in a way that Beal cannot. So one of those combo guards would have to be traded to rebalance the lineup. Likely for a forward or a big man. The switch from Jaylen to Beal not only hurts our defense but also our rebounding.

A big key to how useful a trade this may or may not be will likely come down to how good of a player can we pickup in a trade for one of those combo guards. Can we get that balance we need post-trade or not. Both that balance & that quality of player.

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2023, 09:01:10 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487

I disagree with pretty much this entire comment. First off I think its bad process to make long term decision of a single playoff series. I don't think he was bad defensively overall, although he had a bad game two on that end. He was pretty great in the playoffs overall before that series. I don't think he has any problem playing off Tatum, the team is always good when those guys are off the floor.

Agree. Should we have traded Tatum just because of his Finals performance? Brown was actually pretty decent for most of that series. He was also solid against Philly.

The whole team gagged against Miami. It was pathetic. But Brown has become a convenient fall guy. It's one thing if people genuinely think there are better options out there. It's another if he's just a scapegoat for an organizational meltdown

Ainge said it himself: this team lost its confidence. Can't blame that on one guy.

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2023, 09:33:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Seems like quite a few guys like Beal see their AST:TO ratio drop in the playoffs. He had a solid number his first two years in the playoffs but they have dropped off the last 3 playoff outings. He is averaging only 3apg and 2.6 turnovers per game.

That is 3apg against 20 FGAs and 5 FTAs. Plus the 2.6 turnovers so pretty much 25 possessions used to score for 3 assists given to teammates. A low assist guy relative to number of possessions used to score. And poor AST:TO for a combo guard & secondary ball-handler.

His first two years in the playoffs were better and show promise. Beal played more of a second fiddle to Wall back then. He averaged 4.6apg relative to 2.6 turnovers so almost 2:1 AST:TO ratio. Much better numbers. He was scoring 21ppg instead of 25ppg over the last three playoff runs.

So there is promise there that Beal could pass more and turnover the ball less when a #2 to Tatum.

Jaylen's numbers look a lot like Beal's numbers. So Jaylen's last 3 years in the playoffs saw him average only 3.1apg like Beal and average 3.0 turnovers per game for pretty much a 1:1 AST:TO ratio in the playoffs. Slightly worse but similar to Beal. Jaylen took a small bit less shots (17.6 vs 20 FGAs) and slightly less FTs (4.4 vs 5.0) while turning the ball over more. Jaylen also did this while playing 2nd fiddle to Tatum rather than as a #1 as Beal was in Washington. So defenses were more focused on Beal than Jaylen.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2023, 09:36:38 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Agree. Should we have traded Tatum just because of his Finals performance? Brown was actually pretty decent for most of that series. He was also solid against Philly.

The whole team gagged against Miami. It was pathetic. But Brown has become a convenient fall guy. It's one thing if people genuinely think there are better options out there. It's another if he's just a scapegoat for an organizational meltdown

Ainge said it himself: this team lost its confidence. Can't blame that on one guy.

He had a very bad series. But everyone on the C's (Except for white) forgot how to shoot for the entire series. Brown was 16%, but Tatum was 23%, Horford was 28%, Brogdon was 16%. the entire team shot 30% overall from three, Miamai shot 43% for the series. Some of those shots go in to start game 7 and Brown doesn't start pressing, doesn't turn it over 8 times, and we're watching the c's in the finals.

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2023, 11:28:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

He had a very bad series. But everyone on the C's (Except for white) forgot how to shoot for the entire series. Brown was 16%, but Tatum was 23%, Horford was 28%, Brogdon was 16%. the entire team shot 30% overall from three, Miamai shot 43% for the series. Some of those shots go in to start game 7 and Brown doesn't start pressing, doesn't turn it over 8 times, and we're watching the c's in the finals.

Games are going to be tight in the playoffs. Do you trust Jaylen to not start pressing again and to not turn the ball over at crucial times? Do you trust that he’s going to make the right play or his free throws with the game on the line? I certainly don’t.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2023, 11:42:06 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Games are going to be tight in the playoffs. Do you trust Jaylen to not start pressing again and to not turn the ball over at crucial times? Do you trust that he’s going to make the right play or his free throws with the game on the line? I certainly don’t.

Yes, I do. At least as much as any of the players mentioned in trades like KAT, Beal, Siakam, Young ect ect. Browns been here a while now, this is the first bad playoff series he's had. He's a good player and a lot of these trade are over reactions to a bad few games and quite frankly a mis diagnosis of what went wrong.

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2023, 11:49:10 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Beal isn't the answer. Keep the squad young with Tatum as the leader.

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2023, 12:03:27 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Yes, I do. At least as much as any of the players mentioned in trades like KAT, Beal, Siakam, Young ect ect. Browns been here a while now, this is the first bad playoff series he's had. He's a good player and a lot of these trade are over reactions to a bad few games and quite frankly a mis diagnosis of what went wrong.

It’s not about having a few bad games, though. The issue is that Jaylen looked like a deer in the headlights on both ends of the court. Seemed like the game was just too fast for him. He couldn’t process and react quick enough which resulted in really poor decision making. His BBIQ was not good and he folded under the pressure. I’m not sure that’s something that can be fixed.

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2023, 03:37:23 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Too injury-prone.  Do people want to pay $210 million over four years to a 30 year old who has missed at least a quarter of the season the past four years?  Who shot around 30% from 3PT the season before this one, and who had a sub-.500 eFG%?  Who doesn't play defense, and who has only played in 45 career playoff games?

For perspective, career playoff shooting:

Beal:44.2% FG%, 34.7% 3PT%, .501 eFG%

Brown: 47.9% FG%, 36.2% 3PT%, .548 eFG%

In his last playoff appearance, Beal averaged 4.0 turnovers per game.  But by all means, let's concentrate on one bad series for Brown.

Great post

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2023, 08:09:14 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

It’s not about having a few bad games, though. The issue is that Jaylen looked like a deer in the headlights on both ends of the court. Seemed like the game was just too fast for him. He couldn’t process and react quick enough which resulted in really poor decision making. His BBIQ was not good and he folded under the pressure. I’m not sure that’s something that can be fixed.

It boils down to belief i your own 26ppg 7rbg 4 apg guy v. someone else’s imperfect guy.  Lots of plusses regarding JB IMO, including good work ethic - always improving his game in the off-season.  You seem to think it’s a mental issue and he’s unable to handle big moments.  I just am not convinced about that.  What I do think is that he’s not a #1 on a championship team.  At least not now.  I agree that the Jays may not reflect the best balance possible for a tandem  - but there were big impacts on team balance in the Miami series other than JB - such as 2 of the top 4 three-point shooters in the NBA suddenly couldn’t shoot, or that the team’s best player sprained his ankle on the first offensive play of G7.   DW stepped up and Marcus had highlight games, but it was a pretty dismal series overall for the team that started the series with a more talented roster.

But if your view is that you’ve lost faith in JB, by all means you should be seeking an alternative.  I haven’t lost faith in him and therefore am not turning to good, but flawed players for an answer.  Always am open to a trade that improves the team, but not in the mindset of cutting bait. 

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2023, 10:56:04 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
League execs wondering about the future of Bradley Beal

Bradley Beal re-signed with the Washington Wizards last offseason on a five-year, $251 million and could be traded this offseason as Michael Winger takes over the front office. “Last week, Michael Winger, the new president of the Washington Wizards, said he has been given clearance from ownership to do a complete rebuild,” said Brian Windhorst on Get Up. “That has left everybody in the league wondering what about the future of Bradley Beal. – via RealGM