Author Topic: Thoughts of 2nd game  (Read 3212 times)

Re: Thoughts of 2nd game
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 09:33:51 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I've been a pretty big apologist for Kyrie Irving, but this was the worst defensive effort I've seen from him. He consistently got stuck on screens, lost his guy getting open for threes, and was taken advantage of in mismatches.

Given that it is the second game of the season and he is coming back from injury, I'll give him considerable leeway. He should improve throughout the rest of the year. I just wanted to point out (for all the Irving-haters) that there is an in-between ground between Kyrie-hate and Kyrie-fanaticism. 

I thought the same thing about Hayward, but not to the same extent.

I also thought that the Raptors had pretty obvious potential to be a very scary team defensively. They weren't there yet, but there were possessions where they looked awesome.

I agree on Kyrie's defense. He was trying, the effort was there, but he seemed lost in our defensive schemes and let VanVleet abuse him.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I thought the Celtics struggled much more with the new officiating changes than the Raptors did, and it threw off their flow. For example, the quick two foul calls Horford got when he tried to roll after setting a pick, and rolled into a incoming defender. That was not an offensive foul in the past, its a new wrinkle in how the NBA is calling stuff this season.

Also the 14 second shot clock reset after an offensive rebound instead of 24 seconds hurt us a few times, as did the increased emphasis on hand-checking on offense. Guys where just doing what they are used to always doing, and getting called for fouls all over the place. They will adjust to the new rule interpretations, it will just take some time.

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
My biggest takeaway from the game was that Hayward is a dang stud.  He’s not nearly all the way back yet you saw what he will be in a month or two.  People saying he was our best player before the injury may be right.  Solid defender, steady playmaker, that can absolutely get his at any time.

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The big takeaway for me is that Tatum knows how to g t a shot off any time; he doesn't know when to put the ball in the hands of veterans late in the 4th during a scoring drought that could determine the game. He just doesn't have the feel yet. Absolutely gifted, but a ways to go to lead for a stretch. It was a bit Gerald Green for a stretch there.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Basically, my thoughts are WE SUCK.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
And again, Marcus Smart and his Kobe acting. Wow, some things just never change.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 11:08:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
11 TOs killed us in the first half.

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
And again, Marcus Smart and his Kobe acting. Wow, some things just never change.

I know it's his well deserved reputation, but he only took 6 shots after taking just 4 on Tuesday.  Most of these shots were wide open.  He took the fewest number of shots of everyone that played last night and dished out 6 assists.  That's what we want from him.

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
My biggest takeaway from the game was that Hayward is a dang stud.  He’s not nearly all the way back yet you saw what he will be in a month or two.  People saying he was our best player before the injury may be right.  Solid defender, steady playmaker, that can absolutely get his at any time.

Yes. Really looking forward to seeing Hayward in June. He showed a few flashes last night. Just wait.

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
Disappointing to lose, of course. Then again, I don’t think Ibaka, Green, and VanVleet can play much better, we were on their court, and we were in iif until the last couple of minutes. I think we will figure out how to defend them, and as Gordon rounds into full form we will be the better team. Just more talent.

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2018, 11:55:19 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I know it's his well deserved reputation, but he only took 6 shots after taking just 4 on Tuesday.  Most of these shots were wide open.  He took the fewest number of shots of everyone that played last night and dished out 6 assists.  That's what we want from him.

My problem is not with the number of shots he took, its that almost all of them were early in the shot clock. He didn't give the offense a chance to run anything.

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

My problem is not with the number of shots he took, its that almost all of them were early in the shot clock. He didn't give the offense a chance to run anything.

Yeah, that wasn't a great night for Marcus. He also had a pretty subpar post-up. That's actually something he should do better.

The defense also played him intelligently - went under picks, or gave him room when he was near the 3-pt line. Weirdest thing about Marcus is a lot of teams actually guard his shot, which lets him penetrate and dish more assists.

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 12:49:22 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
3.Kawhi didn't look like a superstar, very solid all-star level wing to me, not a good passer so we
   can consider to double when he switch on Kyrie or whoever need help

You must have feel asleep at the start of the second half when he was dominating us.

I think they have acclimated to the their new talent faster than we have to our returning talent.  I think we will be fine.

But it is clear to me, that they are a much bigger threat to us than Philly which is a pretender not a contender.
We keep the lead until the middle of third quarter and it's no more than 5 point until the end of 4th
Guess he is dominating in your head instead

He didn’t say the Raptors dominated us through the second half. Leonard was nearly unstoppable, though.

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 01:13:54 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
3.Kawhi didn't look like a superstar, very solid all-star level wing to me, not a good passer so we
   can consider to double when he switch on Kyrie or whoever need help

You must have feel asleep at the start of the second half when he was dominating us.

I think they have acclimated to the their new talent faster than we have to our returning talent.  I think we will be fine.

But it is clear to me, that they are a much bigger threat to us than Philly which is a pretender not a contender.
We keep the lead until the middle of third quarter and it's no more than 5 point until the end of 4th
Guess he is dominating in your head instead

He didn’t say the Raptors dominated us through the second half. Leonard was nearly unstoppable, though.
Again i don't know what others think by "dominating" or "unstoppable" but to me we didn't double him and shooting 40% , 25shots to get 31pt, 3ast 3to isn't really dominating or unstoppable to me