Author Topic: Kyrie mad about murray end-game shot attempt, throws ball into stands  (Read 3196 times)

Re: Kyrie mad about murray end-game shot attempt, throws ball into stands
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 01:58:07 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Poor act from Murray to shoot that shot.

If he wanted 50 points he should have made a extra bucket earlier. Celtics should have guarded him you say? No, all teams on the winning end of a final possesion let the clock run down. If they kept shooting, the games would drag longer and more chance of injuries. Pretty disrepectful to try and run up a score on a team not defending.

this is the main reason that teams take out their stars at the end of the game. Stop fouling when the game is clearly over and run out the clock when the other team concedes. One of the worst things that can happen is if someone gets injured in that situation. Also, are people missing that Murray both 1) apologized for this 2) already received a hard foul for doing this kind of thing last year and could have very easily been injured

Fans pay to watch the whole game. Murray is not wrong for playing to the end. If you want to call ball games that are out of hand or reach for the trailing team, then start calling those games before regulation. If you are not then let the games within the games continue. Why should Murray be denied a milestone score because the other team decided to stop playing.

What the heck did Kyrie mean that the ball deserved to go to the stand. That doesnt even make sense. Stop cheating the fans and play the games to the end.

The players that fouled Murray for playing the game are idiot thugs.

Clearly you don’t believe in having some class. This usually happens with bad teams or poor coaching. You’d never see it on a team like the Celtics (at least under Brad or Doc). Heck, even GSW doesn’t do that. Didn’t Klay have 60 through 3 and didn’t play the 4th? Just last week he broke the 3pt record in 3 and could have shattered it had he went back out there in a meaningless 4th.

And get over yourself, nobody cares about the last minute in a 30-point blowout or the last 6 seconds of a decided game. I’ve never seen a Celtic under Brad do something like that against any team, usually they even take the 24-second turnover instead of hoisting up a shot. 90% of teams do the same, and then you have the Devon Booker’s of the world that guys like you prefer to root for.

This was on par with Ricky Davis going for the triple-double against his own basket.

I assume Kyrie didn’t want him to have the game ball, so he launched it. No problem there, he took the fine and said he wasn’t trying to injure anyone, just they didn’t deserve the ball. This isn’t coming from some role player, this is from a player with multiple 50-point games himself. He’s been there before.

I don’t think you know who you are referring to that fouled Murray, but sometimes the athletes have to police themselves and hard fouls are warranted. Just like a player getting beaned in baseball, it happens and everyone knows why. And not surprising it happened to a classless player like Murray.

I don’t care that this happened against the Celtics or in a loss, if it happened in random game I would feel the same way. Trash decision and easy to chalk it up to emotion when he had plenty of time to think about doing that.

Hopefully this serves as motivation for us moving forward.

You don't want  him to score, guard him.  Kyrie does not get to determine who deserves the ball and who does not. Of coure 25K does not mean anything to him. That is part of the problem. They get paid millions of dollars to decide when they want to play and when they do not. They get mad when someone else tries to meet a goal. He does not get to tell Murray when to stop playing. He sure showed a lot of class hurling the ball into the stand, not.

I will leave the mods to address the tone of your post.

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 02:48:04 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

If he wanted 50 points he should have made a extra bucket earlier. Celtics should have guarded him you say? No, all teams on the winning end of a final possesion let the clock run down. If they kept shooting, the games would drag longer and more chance of injuries. Pretty disrepectful to try and run up a score on a team not defending.

this is the main reason that teams take out their stars at the end of the game. Stop fouling when the game is clearly over and run out the clock when the other team concedes. One of the worst things that can happen is if someone gets injured in that situation. Also, are people missing that Murray both 1) apologized for this 2) already received a hard foul for doing this kind of thing last year and could have very easily been injured

Fans pay to watch the whole game. Murray is not wrong for playing to the end. If you want to call ball games that are out of hand or reach for the trailing team, then start calling those games before regulation. If you are not then let the games within the games continue. Why should Murray be denied a milestone score because the other team decided to stop playing.

What the heck did Kyrie mean that the ball deserved to go to the stand. That doesnt even make sense. Stop cheating the fans and play the games to the end.

Clearly you don’t believe in having some class. This usually happens with bad teams or poor coaching. You’d never see it on a team like the Celtics (at least under Brad or Doc). Heck, even GSW doesn’t do that. Didn’t Klay have 60 through 3 and didn’t play the 4th? Just last week he broke the 3pt record in 3 and could have shattered it had he went back out there in a meaningless 4th.

And get over yourself, nobody cares about the last minute in a 30-point blowout or the last 6 seconds of a decided game. I’ve never seen a Celtic under Brad do something like that against any team, usually they even take the 24-second turnover instead of hoisting up a shot. 90% of teams do the same, and then you have the Devon Booker’s of the world that guys like you prefer to root for.

This was on par with Ricky Davis going for the triple-double against his own basket.

I assume Kyrie didn’t want him to have the game ball, so he launched it. No problem there, he took the fine and said he wasn’t trying to injure anyone, just they didn’t deserve the ball. This isn’t coming from some role player, this is from a player with multiple 50-point games himself. He’s been there before.

I don’t think you know who you are referring to that fouled Murray, but sometimes the athletes have to police themselves and hard fouls are warranted. Just like a player getting beaned in baseball, it happens and everyone knows why. And not surprising it happened to a classless player like Murray.

I don’t care that this happened against the Celtics or in a loss, if it happened in random game I would feel the same way. Trash decision and easy to chalk it up to emotion when he had plenty of time to think about doing that.

You don't want  him to score, guard him.  Kyrie does not get to determine who deserves the ball and who does not. Of coure 25K does not mean anything to him. That is part of the problem. They get paid millions of dollars to decide when they want to play and when they do not. They get mad when someone else tries to meet a goal. He does not get to tell Murray when to stop playing. He sure showed a lot of class hurling the ball into the stand, not.

They were guarding him all game, and he was making great shots. What’s that have to do with trying to run up his point total? Again, if you prefer Devin Booker and the Suns fouling to continue to get him shots, fine. That’s your prerogative, too bad we missed out on some record games by the Warriors lately. I go to (and watch) games to see the Celtics win, not surpass statistical thresholds.

I didn’t know the goal was for an individual to score 50, always thought it was to win the game. Kyrie doesn’t tell anyone when to stop playing, years of sportsmanship does. I’m honestly just surprised he didn’t take it to the hole for a layup instead of shooting a 30-footer. Would you have been mad at Morris or Smart if they hard fouled him for driving to the rim in a meaningless possession? Or just cool with the deep 3pt attempt?

I guess you should be bothered by the fact that Murray himself apologized, as he did nothing wrong in your eyes.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 03:47:12 AM by GreenEnvy »
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 05:37:06 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

They were guarding him all game, and he was making great shots. What’s that have to do with trying to run up his point total? Again, if you prefer Devin Booker and the Suns fouling to continue to get him shots, fine. That’s your prerogative, too bad we missed out on some record games by the Warriors lately. I go to (and watch) games to see the Celtics win, not surpass statistical thresholds.

I didn’t know the goal was for an individual to score 50, always thought it was to win the game. Kyrie doesn’t tell anyone when to stop playing, years of sportsmanship does. I’m honestly just surprised he didn’t take it to the hole for a layup instead of shooting a 30-footer. Would you have been mad at Morris or Smart if they hard fouled him for driving to the rim in a meaningless possession? Or just cool with the deep 3pt attempt?

I guess you should be bothered by the fact that Murray himself apologized, as he did nothing wrong in your eyes.
The goal for a lot of players is to accumulate numbers even if they don't admit it and even if they don't do it in an obvious fashion such as taking the shot that Murray took.  Believe it or not a lot of players would rather have big numbers and lose games.

Murray had a right to take it to the hole and we had a right to foul him hard.

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 05:42:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

More like Westbrook's teammates letting him have rebounds that they should have grabbed.

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 07:27:17 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

I think you raise an interesting question:

Should Irving have to start playing defense at the very end of games if he's already set a precedent of not playing defense through the first three quarters?

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 07:33:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think you raise an interesting question:

Should Irving have to start playing defense at the very end of games if he's already set a precedent of not playing defense through the first three quarters?
Have you actually watched the Celtics play this season?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 09:36:06 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I like Murray.

I’d feel worse about 1) the loss and 2) letting a guy drop 48 on us than I would about a shot attempt.

I distinctly remember Larbrd 33 and Myself both advocating  selecting Murray with the third pick In the 2016 NBA draft. When two basketball geniuses agree on something of this magnitude Ainge should take notice.

I'm the end we were right. Jaylen your a bum. Murray owns you. Do something about it.

I guarantee, if Danny would have picked Murray instead, that you would have created at least five trade Jamal Murray threads by now. And one of them would have been Murray for Jaylen Brown  ;D.

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
I believe Mike Gorman asked Scal if Murray would take a shot to get 50, when the Nuggets had the ball at the end of the game and the shot clock was off. Scal said no. I started laughing, because Murray clearly looked like he wanted one more shot. It was a bush league move, as that shot had the intent to score and get him into the 50 point range. The fact that he knew how many points he had and how far away he was from 50, is the salt in the wound when the game was clearly over.

I’m not sure if the people saying someone should try defending Murray, actually watched that game. The guy was making circus shots, and was unconscious from the field. What bothered me in that game, was the fact that Kyrie (13-17) was shooting even better than Murray (19-30) from the field. I kept on waiting for Kyrie to just take the game over, and go full blown assassin. Someone should have given Kyrie the green light, and told him to keep up with or surpass Murray, so the Celtics could win the game.

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2018, 10:21:04 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Classless move. People who think Murray should’ve shot it are probably the people who side with Ricky Davis for his triple double
- LilRip

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 10:42:49 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I believe Mike Gorman asked Scal if Murray would take a shot to get 50, when the Nuggets had the ball at the end of the game and the shot clock was off. Scal said no. I started laughing, because Murray clearly looked like he wanted one more shot. It was a bush league move, as that shot had the intent to score and get him into the 50 point range. The fact that he knew how many points he had and how far away he was from 50, is the salt in the wound when the game was clearly over.

I’m not sure if the people saying someone should try defending Murray, actually watched that game. The guy was making circus shots, and was unconscious from the field. What bothered me in that game, was the fact that Kyrie (13-17) was shooting even better than Murray (19-30) from the field. I kept on waiting for Kyrie to just take the game over, and go full blown assassin. Someone should have given Kyrie the green light, and told him to keep up with or surpass Murray, so the Celtics could win the game.
I was thinking the same thing, Kyrie was just as hot, but he was sharing the ball while the Nuggets just gave the ball to Murray- or he just asked for the ball.

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

Maybe Kyrie should be bothered by him , because he got lit up everytime by Murray , circus shot or not.

I dont even care what Murray did, love that he went from 50 , especially a long range shot.

I think people dont look at this way.

If he drives in for a layup while all the Celtics are playing 0 defense, i think its cheap by murray....

but him taking a 30 foot 3 to me is fine, like who cares, he didnt show them up in anyway.

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 11:10:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Jalen Rose hit it on the head. "If ya don't want him to score 50, don't let him get to 48."

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 11:18:39 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jalen Rose hit it on the head. "If ya don't want him to score 50, don't let him get to 48."

Something I can finally agree with Jalen on.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2018, 11:28:11 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

Maybe Kyrie should be bothered by him , because he got lit up everytime by Murray , circus shot or not.

I dont even care what Murray did, love that he went from 50 , especially a long range shot.

I think people dont look at this way.

If he drives in for a layup while all the Celtics are playing 0 defense, i think its cheap by murray....

but him taking a 30 foot 3 to me is fine, like who cares, he didnt show them up in anyway.

Marcus Smart was guarding Murray too that night. I don't recall Smart slowing Murray down either. When a guy can get his way offensively when Smart is guarding him, then you know it's just their night.