Author Topic: What exactly is between Ray and Rondo? Have Rondo done/said anything wrong  (Read 17569 times)

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
yeah, the wojo article doesn't says a lot in reality, just a lot of vague stuff. this is getting annoying! what precisely was the problem??? my guess is, rondo is smarter than ray on the court and refused to play nice about it. if that's true, then i really hope people see ray, not rondo, in the wrong here. this was arguably the most informative quote in the article.

"When it comes to basketball, Rondo is the smartest player on the team – one of the smartest players in the league," one locker-room source said. "And Ray considers himself a smart guy. But at some point, it became hard for Ray to be corrected by a guy so much younger than him."
I think it's pretty clear from the article: Rondo was being Rondo, and Ray wasn't having any of it.

Maybe Ray was p---ed with the play calling, but I'm pretty sure Rondo wasn't particularly happy to run Ray off picks for 10 seconds on every possession either (since it seemed to be the only way to get him involved last season).

We'll certainly miss his shooting, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the Heat may find Allen to be quite less effective than they expected in the absence of Rondo.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
Rondo kept cutting him off in traffic on the way to the game.

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Yeah people need to stop blaming rondo.  Ray being mad at rondos contract (which is less than market value), that rondo is smarter, and that rondo became a man and not that little kid and would correct ray/chime in seems like ray is just a diva who didn't like rondo surpassing him on team importance.  Wanting to stick it to the celtics is so petty.  I'll take rondo everyday of the week.  Bye ray.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Nobody gets along with everyone at their job of course but I would caution everyone from buying into this Rondo talk.  Statements from credible sources (like Ray himself) indicate that he was really put off by all of the trade talk every year and in particular this year where it sounds like he was told he was traded and then told no you aren't traded.

It sounds to me that he didn't like the way the "Celtics" (I guess mostly Danny) handled the trading and the result was that Ray didn't feel wanted.  DA is always trying to deal which is good but this is a side effect.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

We'll certainly miss his shooting, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the Heat may find Allen to be quite less effective than they expected in the absence of Rondo.

I don't know about that. Lebron is a terrific passer, and will create a lot of open looks via drive and kick.

Ray won't need screens in Miami - he'll just get open looks because of all the pressure Wade and Lebron create.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I don't know about that. Lebron is a terrific passer, and will create a lot of open looks via drive and kick.

Ray won't need screens in Miami - he'll just get open looks because of all the pressure Wade and Lebron create.

ray isnt that good even when wide open though. his shooting is usually a tale of two halves, when he shoots well at the first half, he misses at the next, and vice versa.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
On one side, you've got the cocky young kid, who knows a lot but not as much as he thinks he does.

On the other, you've got the old grizzled veteran who is trying to hold on to the last strands of glory.

In the movies, they develop a father/son type of relationship, where the young kid embraces the veteran's discipline, and the veteran is re-invigorated by the kid's youthful exuberance. 

In reality, the two just rub each other the wrong way.  We've all had co-workers that we've hated, and NBA locker rooms work a lot the same way.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
ray isnt that good even when wide open though.

He shot 45.3% from three last year.  He's pretty good.  Yes, he struggled with his shot a bit after his injury and benching, but he's going to be bombing away above 40% in Miami, without a doubt.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
On one side, you've got the cocky young kid, who knows a lot but not as much as he thinks he does.

On the other, you've got the old grizzled veteran who is trying to hold on to the last strands of glory.

In the movies, they develop a father/son type of relationship, where the young kid embraces the veteran's discipline, and the veteran is re-invigorated by the kid's youthful exuberance. 

Maybe halfway through the year, Ray will realize that Wade is just as annoying as Rondo.

Then, he demands a trade, and arrives just as Bradley has a season-ending injury.

Ray moves back into the starting lineup and hits game-winning shots to beat the Heat and the Lakers in the playoffs.

Fade to black as Rondo and Ray reprise the DJ/Bird hug from the "steal game."

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Max discussed this on weei before.  he claimed ray would get upset with rondo for not giving him the ball.  basically said ray works hard, harder if you take in to account his age, to get open.  due to his athleticism declining, he isn't able to create his own shot like he used to, so he relies heavily on the screens and movement without the ball.  max said ray needed the ball at the exact second he was free, because if it were late, he would not get the look he worked to create.

they also have different personalities and mindframes.

think about it for a minute.....ray would rather deal with lebron than rondo (yikes)

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
.....ray would rather deal with lebron than rondo

He hasn't even begun to deal with the divas. It's a bit premature for that.

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
ray isnt that good even when wide open though.

He shot 45.3% from three last year.  He's pretty good.  Yes, he struggled with his shot a bit after his injury and benching, but he's going to be bombing away above 40% in Miami, without a doubt.

not only that, but ray will wont have to work so hard off the ball to get a look.  he is in a perfect situation where he can spot up, catch, and shoot.  he will get this due to the penetration and double teams from lbj and wade

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
.....ray would rather deal with lebron than rondo

He hasn't even begun to deal with the divas. It's a bit premature for that.

i know, which is why i said "yikes", which u left out of the quote

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo has a reputation as a diva when dealing with him behind closed doors.

While Ray's reputation is of the consummate professional classy guy, not the petty person who holds onto every percieved slight he seems to be. It's not like we know these guys.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
yeah, the wojo article doesn't says a lot in reality, just a lot of vague stuff. this is getting annoying! what precisely was the problem??? my guess is, rondo is smarter than ray on the court and refused to play nice about it. if that's true, then i really hope people see ray, not rondo, in the wrong here. this was arguably the most informative quote in the article.

"When it comes to basketball, Rondo is the smartest player on the team – one of the smartest players in the league," one locker-room source said. "And Ray considers himself a smart guy. But at some point, it became hard for Ray to be corrected by a guy so much younger than him."
I think it's pretty clear from the article: Rondo was being Rondo, and Ray wasn't having any of it.

Maybe Ray was p---ed with the play calling, but I'm pretty sure Rondo wasn't particularly happy to run Ray off picks for 10 seconds on every possession either (since it seemed to be the only way to get him involved last season).

That was the single worst part of our offense last season, and I'm glad it's gone. I HATED watching Rondo dribble out the shot clock waiting for Ray to get free off screens, only to end up having to force the jumper himself when Ray never actually got open.