Author Topic: Theo Ratliff - Can you believe this guy???  (Read 5179 times)

Theo Ratliff - Can you believe this guy???
« on: May 19, 2008, 11:17:40 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Is it me or does this guy really bother you guys? Think back.
He got traded to the C's and only played like 4 games in 2 years - claiming back problems. Then he gets traded to the Timberwolves and plays 7 games for them and sits because he has back problems- AGAIN! Now that the Timberwolves bought his contract out and he signed with Detroit - all of a sudden he's 100% healthy again, he's played all through March and April - Injury Free! Now that he's with a winning team, it seems like his back problems are a thing of the past. In my opinion - He's a Bum!

Re: Theo Ratliff - Can you believe this guy???
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
i wish some players could be held accountable to their contract, but hey he got us garnett, things have played out so perfectly for the celtics that I cant really complain about anything that has happened,

hmmm, but although maybe if he had played maybe he would have gotten us a few more wins got us up the were the blazers rank was and gotten their number 1 and we could have gotten oden also. Or maybe if that had happened we would have taken oden, traded pierce for a group of young players, oden immedietly gets hurt, and we're in the exact same position and ratliff knowing this was doing us a favor the whole time.

or maybe we just shouldn't get worked up over something that many players do in this league when their teams stink and just be happy that we're in the ECF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 11:44:38 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
Theo was only here for a year. He played 2 games, 44 minutes. Then he got injured. Then he was traded and helped land KG.

Get off his back. I don't understand the ill will Theo or others get. If you're injured you can't play.

Theo's healthy now and he's playing. That was always the way it was going to be. Detroit also has the best conditioning staff in the country. They got Antonio McDyess back together again after all his injuries too. Just look at how few games their starting 5 has missed over the past few years.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 11:47:57 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Celtics got everything they wanted from him.

1) they were able to cut a year off of overpayed C.  (Raef to Theo)

2) they got insurance money to cover his salary while looking for a high draft pick

3) They used that draft pick to get Ray, Theo to get KG. 

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
my main complaint is that they didn't get enough in return for theo, he is some talent

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Celtics got everything they wanted from him.

1) they were able to cut a year off of overpayed C.  (Raef to Theo)

2) they got insurance money to cover his salary while looking for a high draft pick

3) They used that draft pick to get Ray, Theo to get KG. 

Exactly - he was never part of our long (or even short) term plans.  Sad to think of it like this, but last year was a tank job from day 1 (when Pierce dedicated the season to Red).

Danny knew all along what he was trying to do year by year's end.  I'm sure that Day 1 Danny/Doc said to Theo "prepare to warm the bench all year".  I had been skeptical of his "injury" from the get-go; reporting someone as falsely "injured" because you don't want them to play is not an uncommon practice across all professional sports.

In those 44 minutes (pre- and post- of which he was "injured"), I remember thinking he looked pretty healthy to me, being able to jump pretty high and having a couple of nice blocks.

Anyways, who cares?  Why be upset with the guy because he has the opportunity to play?  Yeah, his contract is inflated, but can you blame him that teams wanted to overpay him?  I think not.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
my main complaint is that they didn't get enough in return for theo, he is some talent

Kevin Garnett isn't enough for you?

The greatest talent he had in the league was the talent to be traded for someone better than himself.  Mutombo, Sheed, Brandon Roy, Dan Dickau, Kevin Garnett.

That and the talent necessary to be named Theophilus.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »

Offline VINandTonic42

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
add this to the list of villains in this series

did anyone else want to puke when zoolander was jumping and screaming after hitting his shots at home? what a clown

I have a feeling Im going to hate Ratliff(depsite his limited role) by the end of this thing

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 02:01:08 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I met Theo once when he was with the Blazers in Portland. He was with his kids at a park. Nicest down-to-earth guy you'll ever meet. I have a really hard time believing these villain theories. Trust me, if you met the guy, you'd feel the same way.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 02:05:52 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum

Kevin Garnett isn't enough for you?

The greatest talent he had in the league was the talent to be traded for someone better than himself.  Mutombo, Sheed, Brandon Roy, Dan Dickau, Kevin Garnett.

That and the talent necessary to be named Theophilus.

i can't tell if ur serious or not but i was just kidding

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 02:10:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Is it me or does this guy really bother you guys? Think back.
He got traded to the C's and only played like 4 games in 2 years - claiming back problems. Then he gets traded to the Timberwolves and plays 7 games for them and sits because he has back problems- AGAIN! Now that the Timberwolves bought his contract out and he signed with Detroit - all of a sudden he's 100% healthy again, he's played all through March and April - Injury Free! Now that he's with a winning team, it seems like his back problems are a thing of the past. In my opinion - He's a Bum!

Didn't h injure his knee or something with the Wolves? I don't recall it being his back.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 02:30:53 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Detroit also has the best conditioning staff in the country. They got Antonio McDyess back together again after all his injuries too. Just look at how few games their starting 5 has missed over the past few years.

TP for you -- excellent point.

Phoenix too has done a great job in this regard.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Theo's a good guy ... we got everything we needed to from the guy, and I have no ill-will toward him at all.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Theo was only here for a year. He played 2 games, 44 minutes. Then he got injured. Then he was traded and helped land KG.

Get off his back. I don't understand the ill will Theo or others get. If you're injured you can't play.

Theo's healthy now and he's playing. That was always the way it was going to be. Detroit also has the best conditioning staff in the country. They got Antonio McDyess back together again after all his injuries too. Just look at how few games their starting 5 has missed over the past few years.

I have no beef with Theo's injuries. 

However, I do remember him taking a couple of shots at the celtics, specifically Paul Pierce, on his way out the door, which was pretty weak considering he only played 44 minutes total for this team...