Author Topic: Did Doc Rivers Just Blink?  (Read 8656 times)

Re: Did Doc Rivers Just Blink?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 11:04:13 AM »

Offline ZoSo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Then there is the little matter of PJ Brown. I don’t want to dis Kendrick. But the more I watch the NBA, the clearer it becomes that coaches, for better or worse, send signals via the media. Doc lavishing praise on PJ’s performance might be one of those signals—expect more PT for PJ and perhaps less for Kendrick.

Doc said PJ's role isn't going to change
“P.J.’s terrific, but he’s going to stay in the same rotation he’s been in,” Rivers said.

It's better to watch what Doc does than listen to what he says. PJ Brown will continue to play a pretty big role going forward, as will E House.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 11:40:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Then there is the little matter of PJ Brown. I don’t want to dis Kendrick. But the more I watch the NBA, the clearer it becomes that coaches, for better or worse, send signals via the media. Doc lavishing praise on PJ’s performance might be one of those signals—expect more PT for PJ and perhaps less for Kendrick.

“P.J.’s terrific, but he’s going to stay in the same rotation he’s been in,” Rivers said.

It's better to watch what Doc does than listen to what he says. PJ Brown will continue to play a pretty big role going forward, as will E House.
He played 8 minutes in Game Five, the day you made your post. Then played 8 minutes again in Game Six which was the game two days after your post.

Leon Powe was the first big man off the bench in Game Seven coming in for Perkins late in the first, he played next to KG, he just did very little with the minutes he got. PJ was still the fourth big in the rotation, he only played more in Game Seven because Doc was riding the hot hand, not because his role had changed.

We'll see what Doc chooses to do with Detroit. I'd like PJ to be the first big off the bench. Doubt it happens but we'll see.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 11:59:39 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
As I have argued in many places on this blog, on average, Powe has earned the minutes off the bench.  That being said, when he doesn't perform during a game, it is only logical to go to someone else.  The problem is when Doc makes decisions after 2-3 minutes and makes it hard for any of the reserve "bigs" to get into the flow of the game.  Hopefully things will turn around and Doc will be better about substitutions.  But honestly, after everything the Celtics have gone through in the playoffs, that does not seem that likely.

He played 8 minutes in Game Five, the day you made your post. Then played 8 minutes again in Game Six which was the game two days after your post.

Leon Powe was the first big man off the bench in Game Seven coming in for Perkins late in the first, he played next to KG, he just did very little with the minutes he got. PJ was still the fourth big in the rotation, he only played more in Game Seven because Doc was riding the hot hand, not because his role had changed.

We'll see what Doc chooses to do with Detroit. I'd like PJ to be the first big off the bench. Doubt it happens but we'll see.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
As I have argued in many places on this blog, on average, Powe has earned the minutes off the bench.  That being said, when he doesn't perform during a game, it is only logical to go to someone else.  The problem is when Doc makes decisions after 2-3 minutes and makes it hard for any of the reserve "bigs" to get into the flow of the game.  Hopefully things will turn around and Doc will be better about substitutions.  But honestly, after everything the Celtics have gone through in the playoffs, that does not seem that likely.

Game Seven is a do or die situation. You go with whoever is producing.

As a general statement I agree with you, Game Sevens are exceptions though. I don't like decisions based on small clips of play unless it's seriously dire. Lots of players play themselves back into the game.

Also, Powe had 6 straight minutes to work it. Not 2-3. Cleveland went small to start the fourth quarter, Doc matched up with his second unit, that and PJ's fine play took any opportunity Powe had in the second half.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:17:36 PM by Who »

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 12:13:01 PM »

Offline ZoSo

• Xavier Tillman

+++

Just to be clear, I am not advocating that PJ play 30 minutes and BBD/Powe play 5 or less. Doc has to keep playing those two a good 5-12 minutes per game. They are younger and bring different things to the table.

However, I fully expect PJ to get some 4th quarter run in the DET series, which would be a major difference from how he was being used before my post.

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 12:26:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Just to be clear, I am not advocating that PJ play 30 minutes and BBD/Powe play 5 or less. Doc has to keep playing those two a good 5-12 minutes per game. They are younger and bring different things to the table.

However, I fully expect PJ to get some 4th quarter run in the DET series, which would be a major difference from how he was being used before my post.

I expect PJ to be the fourth big in this series once again. Perk, KG then either Powe or BBD. Likely Powe. PJ's number will be called late only if the above are struggling or if PJ is playing particularly well. Similar rotation for PJ as before.

So will those of two be struggling at some point in the fourth? Recent form says most likely so we probably see PJ in the 4th.

I hope PJ does get a good opportunity to play against Detroit. He beat them up pretty badly last year in the playoffs while with the Bulls, Chicago didn't win a game in that series until they pumped up PJ's minutes. He matches up well with McDyess, Maxiell and co.

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 12:40:43 PM »

Offline ZoSo

• Xavier Tillman
I expect PJ to be the fourth big in this series once again. Perk, KG then either Powe or BBD. Likely Powe. PJ's number will be called late only if the above are struggling or if PJ is playing particularly well. Similar rotation for PJ as before.

So will those of two be struggling at some point in the fourth? Recent form says most likely so we probably see PJ in the 4th.

I hope PJ does get a good opportunity to play against Detroit. He beat them up pretty badly last year in the playoffs while with the Bulls, Chicago didn't win a game in that series until they pumped up PJ's minutes. He matches up well with McDyess, Maxiell and co.

We shall see.

I like Powe and BBD. In fact, unlike most here, I like BBD better. First defensive sequence out of the shoot yesterday, Powe got confused and left AV wide open for a driving layup. He missed another defensive assignment shortly thereafter.

On your point, it is entirely possible that BBD could be coming up big late in the third and into the fourth, which might make it difficult for PJ to get in.

But the more I think about it, the more I think that yesterday's game might have been a sign of things to come. Giving the ball to Pierce on O and getting their most consistent big not wearing #5 some increased PT, especially when it counts in the fourth.

Sheed, Maxiell, and McDyess.

Sounds like a PJ counter to me.