Author Topic: Kyrie Irving has some interesting ideas on the earth and aliens and such  (Read 12457 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving has some interesting ideas on the earth and aliens and such
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2017, 02:40:09 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
the only thing appalling here is that most of you need to ridicule others beliefs to validate your own "intelligence." Another sad showing of programmed minds here on CB.

But I wil say - the whole flat earth theory is puzzling. I just don't know who would benefit from lying about the earth being round. But if that is Kyries truth I respect that, and him as well for voicing it when he probably knows [dang] well this is the type of reaction he would receive.

One of the best attributes of science is that it's true whether you believe in it or not.

That is not quite true.  First, because prevailing scientific beliefs have been proven wrong at times in history.  There exist things we currently believe to be true that will likely be proven to not be fully true 100 years from now.  At best, science is true to the extent that humans have shown capable of understanding at this moment.

While thinking the Earth is flat might be objectively false, thinking the Earth is a sphere might not be objectively true.  It's just the best that we are capable of understanding it right now.  It very well might be a hypersphere or some higher dimensional shape that we aren't capable of understanding.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2017, 02:46:30 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I tried to start a thread about how it irks me that players always cite 'God' for their success. That bothers me, in the standard way, as a rational agnostic. I was just curious to test the vibe on CB, and I remember most comments were 'doesn't bother me' or 'leave guys' beliefs alone'

To me, flat-earthers and religious text adherents are cut from the same cloth. But At least flat-earthers don't use the belief to buttress their political dogma and other fraudulent objectives. It just goes to show how incredibly willing the human mind is to accept an interpretation of reality based on substantially less evidence than an alternative interpretation. The willingness scares me more than anything in the world - more than immense violence, poverty, and even my own death.

P.s Does Kyrie revolve around LeBron, or vice versa. Think about it man, like, whoa..

Your disdain for religious people sounds more like a "you" problem than a "them" problem.

There are both intelligent and ignorant people of all beliefs, or lack thereof.

Kyrie apparently is an ignorant person.  I'm not sure what religion has to do with it, or why you bothered to unnecessarily bring it up.

I'm wondering if you might be one of the ignorant people too, possibly intolerant as well.

You've clearly misunderstood my point.

But since you bring it up, why is Kyrie 'ignorant' and Father O'Leary not. The basis for making a distinction is unclear to me.

Okay, fine, I've misunderstood your point.  I take it you didn't actually mean to disparage religious people.  My mistake.

I'm assuming "Father O'Leary" is a fictional person to prove a point here.

To answer your question, even if we assume there is no proof of any God or 'creation event', a lack of evidence does not disprove something.  That is very different than there being actual, irrefutable evidence to disprove something (i.e. the Earth being flat).  I would think someone who understands the scientific method could appreciate this distinction.

Relieved that we are back to normal conversation.

Yes, absolutely meant no disrespect to the (probably hundreds!) of wonderful Father O'Learys out in the world!

Your point about reasoning is quite valid, but I wasn't talking about God. I was talking about adherence to religious texts' assumed authority on the matter (which is 99.999% of the world's religious adherent's primary basis for a belief in whichever God they've been dealt, or on the rarer occasions, chosen).

These are dogmatic notions of God, which precisely like the earth's shape, can be very easily debunked by the simplest of scientific enquiry.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
the only thing appalling here is that most of you need to ridicule others beliefs to validate your own "intelligence." Another sad showing of programmed minds here on CB.

But I wil say - the whole flat earth theory is puzzling. I just don't know who would benefit from lying about the earth being round. But if that is Kyries truth I respect that, and him as well for voicing it when he probably knows [dang] well this is the type of reaction he would receive.

One of the best attributes of science is that it's true whether you believe in it or not.

That is not quite true.  First, because prevailing scientific beliefs have been proven wrong at times in history.  There exist things we currently believe to be true that will likely be proven to not be fully true 100 years from now.  At best, science is true to the extent that humans have shown capable of understanding at this moment.

While thinking the Earth is flat might be objectively false, thinking the Earth is a sphere might not be objectively true.  It's just the best that we are capable of understanding it right now.  It very well might be a hypersphere or some higher dimensional shape that we aren't capable of understanding.

What do you mean by 'prevailing scientific beliefs' (setting aside for a moment that science requires no belief, rather it is a demonstration). One gets the sense that pythagoras' theorem will not be getting debunked anytime soon.

Have you got any good examples? I don't mean to sound dismissive by the way, genuinely curious and in search of bar chat.

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2017, 03:00:11 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
When hearing this a few days ago I thought it was a gag, and payed no attention to it.

I guess just because a guy can dribble, and shoot a basketball better than most in the world, doesn't make him a bright and intelligent person.

Now you know why teams that have several "star" players struggle to win consistently. Put 3 Kyrie's on a basketball club and they'll struggle to even find the exits. No wonder why Lebron wants additional help.

Turns out it was just a gag. It wont stop people from showing how much they love to put down others though. I find that more interesting than anything.
It wasn't a gag.

I don't think you can say that categorically from his clarifying comments.

Kyrie's point about the media is a good one though: War in Yemen? No Cleveland's Point Guard just said something about Chemtrails!!

Although I just read an article that argued that that line was dishonest..

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2017, 03:13:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It feels like Kyrie is trolling everyone. I can't imagine someone actually really believing the earth is flat at this point.  It isn't an issue that has multiple supportable theories.  We have already proven it.  It isn't a conspiracy theory.  I think Kyrie is quietly having a big laugh.
I couldn't imagine we'd have a president that cites InfoWars as an authority on news, and yet here we are.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
When hearing this a few days ago I thought it was a gag, and payed no attention to it.

I guess just because a guy can dribble, and shoot a basketball better than most in the world, doesn't make him a bright and intelligent person.

Now you know why teams that have several "star" players struggle to win consistently. Put 3 Kyrie's on a basketball club and they'll struggle to even find the exits. No wonder why Lebron wants additional help.

Turns out it was just a gag. It wont stop people from showing how much they love to put down others though. I find that more interesting than anything.
It wasn't a gag.

Kyrie's point about the media is a good one though: War in Yemen? No Cleveland's Point Guard just said something about Chemtrails!!

I don't think it was a gag, since he followed it up in a subsequent with:
'
"I think people should do their own research, man," Irving told ESPN. "Hopefully they'll either back my belief or they'll throw it in the water. But I think it's interesting for people to find out on their own.

"I've seen a lot of things that my educational system has said that was real that turned out to be completely fake. I don't mind going against the grain in terms of my thoughts."

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I saw this, laughed a little, and moved on.

I do have one question though...

If the Earth is flat, what happens when you reach the edge?  Can you fall off or does it just keep going and going forever?  If it does keep going how could you conclude that it is flat?

Thankfully these questions don't need to be answered, but I would love it if someone asked him similar follow up questions.  The response could be gold!

Apparently, we could fall off, but a combination of a 150 foot Antarctic ice wall and NASA monitors.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2017, 04:58:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

It wasn't a gag.

'
"I think people should do their own research, man," Irving told ESPN. "Hopefully they'll either back my belief or they'll throw it in the water. But I think it's interesting for people to find out on their own.

"I've seen a lot of things that my educational system has said that was real that turned out to be completely fake. I don't mind going against the grain in terms of my thoughts."
Dray and Lebron backing him up makes me think this must some a little joke the all-stars have.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It wasn't a gag.

'

Dray and Lebron backing him up makes me think this must some a little joke the all-stars have.

I think it's the case of a well-regarded player saying something really dumb, and his friends standing up for him.

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

What do you mean by 'prevailing scientific beliefs' (setting aside for a moment that science requires no belief, rather it is a demonstration). One gets the sense that pythagoras' theorem will not be getting debunked anytime soon.

Have you got any good examples? I don't mean to sound dismissive by the way, genuinely curious and in search of bar chat.
Examples would be like the geocentric theory and the idea that planets traveled in circles rather than ellipses which were considered scientific "truths" until Kepler and Copernicus proved otherwise. We have scientists at CERN that could possibly be close (within decades at least) of finding holes in Einstein's relatively.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2017, 05:56:40 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I wonder what shape Derrick Rose thinks the earth is.

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2017, 07:38:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Then how do you account for those who have seen earth from space.

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_329.html

Keep talking please, I need a good laugh.  I get the jist of what your saying but science is not wrong in this case.   We understand it just fine.   Why defend lunacy?

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Examples would be like the geocentric theory and the idea that planets traveled in circles rather than ellipses which were considered scientific "truths" until Kepler and Copernicus proved otherwise. We have scientists at CERN that could possibly be close (within decades at least) of finding holes in Einstein's relatively.

I think this is a slight strawman. You are claiming that there have been scientific "truths" debunked, but there really havent. That is a non-scientist conception. Science doesnt yield "truths," it yields "most likely theories based on current available evidence with likelihood of the validity of the theory depending on strength fo evidence and subject to refinement in the future."

I mean, Newton didnt discover "truths." He formulated theories that are, and have been, highly reproducible. Those theories for how the universe works have been refined, frequently. So have einstein's, and they continue to be. But they arent "truths" that are now "wrong." Its not like structures built based on newtonian physics suddenly collapsed when einstein formulated his theories. Just refinement, constantly, with each new generation.

Same for your planetary example. Its not like scientists are like "sun around earth. Done, end of discussion." Then "eartg around sun in circles. Done. End of discussion." Its more like "here are the observations i have made, here is the math i went through, these observations i think would be explained by the earth orbiting the sun in a circle." Then someone else syaing "well if the earth orbited the sun in a circle, we'd expect to see v, w, x, but im seeing w, x, y, which would be better explained by a slighy elliptical orbit."

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2017, 08:57:32 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

I think this is a slight strawman. You are claiming that there have been scientific "truths" debunked, but there really havent. That is a non-scientist conception. Science doesnt yield "truths," it yields "most likely theories based on current available evidence with likelihood of the validity of the theory depending on strength fo evidence and subject to refinement in the future."

I mean, Newton didnt discover "truths." He formulated theories that are, and have been, highly reproducible. Those theories for how the universe works have been refined, frequently. So have einstein's, and they continue to be. But they arent "truths" that are now "wrong." Its not like structures built based on newtonian physics suddenly collapsed when einstein formulated his theories. Just refinement, constantly, with each new generation.

Same for your planetary example. Its not like scientists are like "sun around earth. Done, end of discussion." Then "eartg around sun in circles. Done. End of discussion." Its more like "here are the observations i have made, here is the math i went through, these observations i think would be explained by the earth orbiting the sun in a circle." Then someone else syaing "well if the earth orbited the sun in a circle, we'd expect to see v, w, x, but im seeing w, x, y, which would be better explained by a slighy elliptical orbit."

And furthermore, as the theory gets more "reproducable", the confidence with which one can say they are getting closer to a truth can grow ever so slightly with each refinement of how the theory interacts with different and unexpected envrionments.

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2017, 10:41:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It feels like Kyrie is trolling everyone.  I can't imagine someone actually really believing the earth is flat at this point.  It isn't an issue that has multiple supportable theories.  We have already proven it.  It isn't a conspiracy theory.  I think Kyrie is quietly having a big laugh.
Yeah I read the articles and like Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., but then I actually heard him talking about later and it seems like he is trolling pretty hard to make a point about not believing everything you read and hear.  That you should do your own investigation, etc.  And you may be thinking, well why not just say that and the answer is because if he said that it wouldn't have been news all over the place, like this is. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip