Author Topic: Kyrie Irving has some interesting ideas on the earth and aliens and such  (Read 12452 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving has some interesting ideas on the earth and aliens and such
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
the only thing appalling here is that most of you need to ridicule others beliefs to validate your own "intelligence." Another sad showing of programmed minds here on CB.

But I wil say - the whole flat earth theory is puzzling. I just don't know who would benefit from lying about the earth being round. But if that is Kyries truth I respect that, and him as well for voicing it when he probably knows [dang] well this is the type of reaction he would receive.

There's an objective truth. Respecting "alternative facts" doesn't make someone more tolerant. It often makes them ignorant or an enabler.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
the only thing appalling here is that most of you need to ridicule others beliefs to validate your own "intelligence." Another sad showing of programmed minds here on CB.

But I wil say - the whole flat earth theory is puzzling. I just don't know who would benefit from lying about the earth being round. But if that is Kyries truth I respect that, and him as well for voicing it when he probably knows [dang] well this is the type of reaction he would receive.

One of the best attributes of science is that it's true whether you believe in it or not.
Right because being childish is better than being willfully ignorant.  Both are lame.

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Only the finest education from our public school system.
He went to private high school then Duke

He did not 'go' to Duke. He played at Duke.

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

One of the best attributes of science is that it's true whether you believe in it or not.

That's a dangerous perspective. Mainstream science is all about defending the belief system that this world and everything in it was created by accident, and that what humans can see as visual light is all there is.

This is dead opposite of what "mainstream" science actually supports. This kind of image usually starts popping up in textbooks around 4th grade or so:

Ether.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
When hearing this a few days ago I thought it was a gag, and payed no attention to it.

I guess just because a guy can dribble, and shoot a basketball better than most in the world, doesn't make him a bright and intelligent person.

Now you know why teams that have several "star" players struggle to win consistently. Put 3 Kyrie's on a basketball club and they'll struggle to even find the exits. No wonder why Lebron wants additional help.

Turns out it was just a gag. It wont stop people from showing how much they love to put down others though. I find that more interesting than anything.

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
I tried to start a thread about how it irks me that players always cite 'God' for their success. That bothers me, in the standard way, as a rational agnostic. I was just curious to test the vibe on CB, and I remember most comments were 'doesn't bother me' or 'leave guys' beliefs alone'

To me, flat-earthers and religious text adherents are cut from the same cloth. But At least flat-earthers don't use the belief to buttress their political dogma and other fraudulent objectives. It just goes to show how incredibly willing the human mind is to accept an interpretation of reality based on substantially less evidence than an alternative interpretation. The willingness scares me more than anything in the world - more than immense violence, poverty, and even my own death.

P.s Does Kyrie revolve around LeBron, or vice versa. Think about it man, like, whoa..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:56:47 PM by trickybilly »

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I tried to start a thread about how it irks me that players always cite 'God' for their success. That bothers me, in the standard way, as a rational agnostic. I was just curious to test the vibe on CB, and I remember most comments were 'doesn't bother me' or 'leave guys' beliefs alone'

To me, flat-earthers and religious text adherents are cut from the same cloth. But At least flat-earthers don't use the belief to buttress their political dogma and other fraudulent objectives. It just goes to show how incredibly willing the human mind is to accept an interpretation of reality based on substantially less evidence than an alternative interpretation. The willingness scares me more than anything in the world - more than immense violence, poverty, and even my own death.

P.s Does Kyrie revolve around LeBron, or vice versa. Think about it man, like, whoa..

Your gripes sound personal my man.

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2017, 02:02:46 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
When hearing this a few days ago I thought it was a gag, and payed no attention to it.

I guess just because a guy can dribble, and shoot a basketball better than most in the world, doesn't make him a bright and intelligent person.

Now you know why teams that have several "star" players struggle to win consistently. Put 3 Kyrie's on a basketball club and they'll struggle to even find the exits. No wonder why Lebron wants additional help.

Turns out it was just a gag. It wont stop people from showing how much they love to put down others though. I find that more interesting than anything.
It wasn't a gag.

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Your disdain for religious people sounds more like a "you" problem than a "them" problem.

There are both intelligent and ignorant people of all beliefs, or lack thereof.

Kyrie apparently is an ignorant person.  I'm not sure what religion has to do with it, or why you bothered to unnecessarily bring it up.

I'm wondering if you might be one of the ignorant people too, possibly intolerant as well.

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2017, 02:11:44 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

Your gripes sound personal my man.

Not quite sure what you mean... Erm.. All gripes are personal in that the gripe feeler is usually the one sounding off..

Unless you mean that it sounds like I don't like Kyrie, which is not true at all. He seems like a good dude.

But fundamentally, my gripe is conceptual - one of competing reasoning strategies - not personal.

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

Your disdain for religious people sounds more like a "you" problem than a "them" problem.

Kyrie apparently is an ignorant person.  I'm not sure what religion has to do with it, or why you bothered to unnecessarily bring it up.

I'm wondering if you might be one of the ignorant people too, possibly intolerant as well.

You've clearly misunderstood my point.

But since you bring it up, why is Kyrie 'ignorant' and Father O'Leary not. The basis for making a distinction is unclear to me.

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

But since you bring it up, why is Kyrie 'ignorant' and Father O'Leary not. The basis for making a distinction is unclear to me.
I can see where this line of questioning is leading...straight to a locked thread.

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2017, 02:33:41 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Okay, fine, I've misunderstood your point.  I take it you didn't actually mean to disparage religious people.  My mistake.

I'm assuming "Father O'Leary" is a fictional person to prove a point here.

To answer your question, even if we assume there is no proof of any God or 'creation event', a lack of evidence does not disprove something.  That is very different than there being actual, irrefutable evidence to disprove something (i.e. the Earth being flat).  I would think someone who understands the scientific method could appreciate this distinction.

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2017, 02:36:30 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

I can see where this line of questioning is leading...straight to a locked thread.

I was just wanting to talk reasoning strategies! Not God per se!

And if someone queries whether I'm ignorant or "intolerant" (whatever that means), I feel I have the right to inquire on what basis that suspicion was aroused..

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2017, 02:38:51 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It feels like Kyrie is trolling everyone.  I can't imagine someone actually really believing the earth is flat at this point.  It isn't an issue that has multiple supportable theories.  We have already proven it.  It isn't a conspiracy theory.  I think Kyrie is quietly having a big laugh.