Author Topic: Celtics (30-14) at Pelicans (17-29) Game #45 1/26/20  (Read 26456 times)

Re: Celtics (30-14) at Pelicans (17-29) Game #45 1/26/20
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2020, 08:55:29 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

I'm on the Hayward band wagon. As a 4th option he is doing well.

Not as a max guy.

At the time he definitely was, especially in such a weak FA class.. now I have to agree, definitely not a max guy but I think a bottom feeder or mid tier/mid to low market team would definitely give him a max if he were to his free agency this off season.
Would you guys resign him and what price would you think he would  have?

I probably would not resign him simply because we could use the money at more demanding positions like the 4 or 5. If we were to resign him i think 4 years $100 mil is fair for him in today's NBA. I'd also have a long conversation that he'd be coming back as a sixth man.

« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2020, 08:58:04 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Not as a max guy.

At the time he definitely was, especially in such a weak FA class.. now I have to agree, definitely not a max guy but I think a bottom feeder or mid tier/mid to low market team would definitely give him a max if he were to hit free agency this off season.

If Hayward leaves, we might have bigger things to worry about (other than not being able to replace a max salary slot on the roster). He would represent our 3rd max acquisition that would have left after finishing their contract (Horford, Kyrie). I don't necessarily think we have an image problem in BOS, but it would be concerning if our best players kept wanting to leave.

It will be interesting to see what happens this off-season. It would be great to get him on like a 4yr/$80M deal, but that is really only like a 3yr/$46M extension on top of the $34M option he already has. While that still seems like fair value, and it gives Hayward security, my guess is that he would at least be looking in that Horford/Jaylen range if he declines his option.

« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2020, 10:02:12 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
i really was emotionless about the game , not much caring one way or the other who won .  Kobe losing his life just dominated my thought process.

Same. This loss counts as much as any other, but I just couldn't build up any pseudo outrage about the result. Certain passings have a way of putting everything in focus. I thought the tributes were well done.
#JKJB

« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2020, 10:26:44 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Not as a max guy.

At the time he definitely was, especially in such a weak FA class.. now I have to agree, definitely not a max guy but I think a bottom feeder or mid tier/mid to low market team would definitely give him a max if he were to hit free agency this off season.

If Hayward leaves, we might have bigger things to worry about (other than not being able to replace a max salary slot on the roster). He would represent our 3rd max acquisition that would have left after finishing their contract (Horford, Kyrie). I don't necessarily think we have an image problem in BOS, but it would be concerning if our best players kept wanting to leave.

It will be interesting to see what happens this off-season. It would be great to get him on like a 4yr/$80M deal, but that is really only like a 3yr/$46M extension on top of the $34M option he already has. While that still seems like fair value, and it gives Hayward security, my guess is that he would at least be looking in that Horford/Jaylen range if he declines his option.
I think the main issues is that Danny doesn’t have a clear direction when he gets these “max” guys. He lured them with one thing but then his plan keeps changing... it’s the way he is. He hates being in all in mode like when we had the big three. He still refused to trade draft picks to bolster the aging rotation.
Now he has al kind of options and he’s loving it.
On the leaving of max players :
Danny lowballed Horford so there is one issue.
Danny would have offered the super max to Irving but :
He may not even deserve it and he’s having some mental issues that are better off being other teams problems.
On Hayward - ironically I think Danny will go to lengths to keep him. I can see him matching an overpaid contract offer from the hawks or Memphis ... maybe just to show the other free agents that high profile players want to play for the Celtics ..

« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2020, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Not as a max guy.

At the time he definitely was, especially in such a weak FA class.. now I have to agree, definitely not a max guy but I think a bottom feeder or mid tier/mid to low market team would definitely give him a max if he were to his free agency this off season.
Would you guys resign him and what price would you think he would  have?

I probably would not resign him simply because we could use the money at more demanding positions like the 4 or 5. If we were to resign him i think 4 years $100 mil is fair for him in today's NBA. I'd also have a long conversation that he'd be coming back as a sixth man.

Problem is, I don’t think C’s have salary cap space flexibility to make a splash, regardless if Hayward signs or not. If we don’t trade Hayward, the best course of action is to sign him again using bird rights.

It’s not the worst. Gordon Hayward is a pretty good player today. Of course, if he were a little more athletic (say, pre-injury levels), he’d be vying for an all star position imo. But in his current state (and I think this is gonna be as good as it gets), GH does a pretty good job out there..

Would I trade him? Yes. Mainly because I think we can get some help in other positions and I think having Tatum/Brown means our perimeter-based attack doesn’t lose much. Would I want to get rid of him? Definitely not.

- LilRip