Author Topic: On the positive side, can't wait to see a Brown/Smart starting backcourt.  (Read 6584 times)

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Very excited about this. I'd like to start Horford at PF though and have Hayward be our sixth man-we really need to start using the size we have aside from acquiring it.

agreed.

We need to track down a capable starting center to pair with Al/ (Vooch?)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Very excited about this. I'd like to start Horford at PF though and have Hayward be our sixth man-we really need to start using the size we have aside from acquiring it.

agreed.

Did you watch Toronto-Orlando playoffs?

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
So with much of the news not going the Celtics way, it made me think who is left and something got me very excited. If everything falls into place it appears our starting backcourt could be Marcus Smart at point and Jaylen Brown at the 2.

These guys, to me, didn't play a ton with each other last year. In fact, as a two man group, they were only the 25th highest grouping in minutes played together.

But, they could be the starting guard combo for us this year and play a bunch more minutes together. If they play to their defensive capabilities, this could be a terrorizing defensive backcourt.

They can switch everything. They can outmuscle just about every backcourt in the league. If Brown shoots like he did from Xmas on and Smart shoots like he did all last year, they will be very productive from three. And most importantly, they will set the defensive tone for the rest of the team.

The Celtics will need to grow some scorers from amongst Hayward, Tatum and Brown, but where I think next year's team will need to make their mark, is on defense. And I think a backcourt of Smart and Brown, with Horford and Baynes up front, will create that identity.

Once Jaylen ratcheted up his defense in the playoffs, I couldn't wait for Smart to return to see the damage the duo could do. Unfortunately, Smart didn't return like the Smart we know and the team rolled over in the second half of both games Smart played in, so that never happened.

But I do believe both guys could make All-Defense teams next year and if so, won't that be a great thing to watch?
I recall you were pretty negative about Smart in his contract year. Am surprised you now are excited to see him starting next season. What’s changed? His improved J? Personally I think he should return to the bench and be 6th man.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
On the positive side, can't wait to see a Brown/Smart starting backcourt.

Outside of small arms fire, what would stop opponents from pressing a lineup of

Brown
Smart
Tatum
Horford
C

into oblivion?
You mean other than the fact that full time pressing doesn't happen in the NBA anymore or the fact Horford might be the best big at bringing up the ball in the league?

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Wow... I hadn't even considered that Smart could be the starting point guard for this team.  This nightmare just won't end. 

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
So with much of the news not going the Celtics way, it made me think who is left and something got me very excited. If everything falls into place it appears our starting backcourt could be Marcus Smart at point and Jaylen Brown at the 2.

These guys, to me, didn't play a ton with each other last year. In fact, as a two man group, they were only the 25th highest grouping in minutes played together.

But, they could be the starting guard combo for us this year and play a bunch more minutes together. If they play to their defensive capabilities, this could be a terrorizing defensive backcourt.

They can switch everything. They can outmuscle just about every backcourt in the league. If Brown shoots like he did from Xmas on and Smart shoots like he did all last year, they will be very productive from three. And most importantly, they will set the defensive tone for the rest of the team.

The Celtics will need to grow some scorers from amongst Hayward, Tatum and Brown, but where I think next year's team will need to make their mark, is on defense. And I think a backcourt of Smart and Brown, with Horford and Baynes up front, will create that identity.

Once Jaylen ratcheted up his defense in the playoffs, I couldn't wait for Smart to return to see the damage the duo could do. Unfortunately, Smart didn't return like the Smart we know and the team rolled over in the second half of both games Smart played in, so that never happened.

But I do believe both guys could make All-Defense teams next year and if so, won't that be a great thing to watch?
I recall you were pretty negative about Smart in his contract year. Am surprised you now are excited to see him starting next season. What’s changed? His improved J? Personally I think he should return to the bench and be 6th man.
Pretty much his improved shooting and better decision making regarding when to shoot. He definitely matured some last year. I always loved his defense and thought he wasn't a bad passer, it's just he loved to shoot even though he was God awful at it and made a lot of really bad decisions in the half court.

Besides, at this point, I am not sure any other realistic PG options are all that much better than he is, certainly Rozier isn't. And I am not in love with the starting PG options available to the Celtics. So may as well get excited about what he will bring to the team.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Pretty much his improved shooting and better decision making regarding when to shoot. He definitely matured some last year. I always loved his defense and thought he wasn't a bad passer, it's just he loved to shoot even though he was God awful at it and made a lot of really bad decisions in the half court.

Besides, at this point, I am not sure any other realistic PG options are all that much better than he is, certainly Rozier isn't. And I am not in love with the starting PG options available to the Celtics. So may as well get excited about what he will bring to the team.

Fair enough. Agree with the need for optimism. TP for that Nick. Need more of it on this board.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Fair enough. Agree with the need for optimism. TP for that Nick. Need more of it on this board.
Back atcha, my friend.

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

Brown
Smart
Tatum
Horford
C

into oblivion?
You mean other than the fact that full time pressing doesn't happen in the NBA anymore or the fact Horford might be the best big at bringing up the ball in the league?

No, I mean other than the fact that the theoretical starting 5 would have no ball handling skills to avoid even average defending backcourts from creating turnovers almost at will.  Horford's not going to be escaping the press if there's nobody capable for him to pass the ball to.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Brown
Smart
Tatum
Horford
C

into oblivion?

No, I mean other than the fact that the theoretical starting 5 would have no ball handling skills to avoid even average defending backcourts from creating turnovers almost at will.  Horford's not going to be escaping the press if there's nobody capable for him to pass the ball to.
And yet since no one presses the ball anymore, it doesn't really matter. The NBA isn't the NCAA. Teams don't press in the NBA.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Brown
Smart
Tatum
Horford
C

into oblivion?
It’s nba that’s what.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

agreed.

Did you watch Toronto-Orlando playoffs?

yeah, there was more to that series than Vooches play, you understand that right?

That no one did anything and that Toronto Gameplaned to swarm Vooch? And that no one stepped up on Orlando, and that Orlando was 100% outclassed in every aspect of that series right?

Or do you just want to blame it all exclusively on Vooch.  Maybe if Orlando had Hayward they would have swept Toronto.

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

Brown
Smart
Tatum
Horford
C

into oblivion?

And yet since no one presses the ball anymore, it doesn't really matter.

I always love this sort of answer.  It's a complete non-answer framed as wisdom from on high. 

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Brown
Smart
Tatum
Horford
C

into oblivion?

And yet since no one presses the ball anymore, it doesn't really matter.

I always love this sort of answer.  It's a complete non-answer framed as wisdom from on high.
Oh, it's a wise answer, just one you don't like because you are asking a hypothetical question about what would happen in a reality that doesn't exist.

Teams don't press anymore because pro teams are too good at breaking it through the pass and making teams regret doing it by beating the press for easy uncontested shots.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Smart is fine at PG (solid setup guard) but he needs more help from his two wings in terms of secondary ball-handling and playing. Tatum and Jaylen leave a lot to be desired in those areas.

That puts more pressure on the PG to do more with the ball and Smart is unable to handle that extra offensive load. He needs his wings to help share the load.

Matters would be made even worse by a limited offensive player like Baynes clogging things up.

Tatum and Brown are still very, very young players and so far have been asked to remain disciplined secondary scorers. There are a number of explosive NBA scorers that played lesser roles their first few years. Neither guy is a great iso/dribble drive player, but both have the basic tools to be great at it. They both need to tighten their handle, recognize rotations more quickly and develop reliable counter moves.

You get from here to there by reps. They are advanced enough to start taking on the responsibility, and the team needs them to make that leap. Its time to turn over the keys to the car. It will probably take the better part of a season for them to start playing that way efficiently, but we are going where they can take us, so we might as well commit to it.