Author Topic: Problems with the Forum?  (Read 16552 times)

Re: Problems with the Forum?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 09:59:16 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
These errors and the PDA layout showing up are byproducts of the MySQL query caching I mentioned. I'm about half done measuring and setting those and hope to get them wrapped up today.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
A note on the query caching. I have an adjustment to make this morning that may produce a temporary glitch. I shouldn't last for long though.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Adjustment complete. What I did in this case was change the type of database connector used by the query caching. There are three different ones. Which one works best varies from site to site, server to server. The last one appears to been the source of part of the errors that were generated. We'll see how the current does. If it also causes problems I'll revert the caching back to a basic sql connector.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 10:53:25 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
An update: one of the things I've been watching out for has been incompatibilities between the new query caching and software we run around here. Well, I found one right at the heart of the errors so many of you have received.

The problem was occurring in The SMF bridging software that connects the forums to the main site. I made some changes to how the bridge works and for now at least it seems the issue has gone away. Please keep reporting though if you continue to experience those or other errors again.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 01:18:26 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
An update: one of the things I've been watching out for has been incompatibilities between the new query caching and software we run around here. Well, I found one right at the heart of the errors so many of you have received.

The problem was occurring in The SMF bridging software that connects the forums to the main site. I made some changes to how the bridge works and for now at least it seems the issue has gone away. Please keep reporting though if you continue to experience those or other errors again.

Although I understood only half of the internet slang, it sounds like you`re working hard on the problems. Thanks for that, TP
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 02:52:37 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Just got to seperate failures...

After trying to log in it said this:

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

And after clicking the forum button it said this:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 86609 bytes) in /home/cbcom/public_html/components/com_smf/smf.class.php on line 341

Both problems were resolved by just hitting refresh, but thought i would post them anyway.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 03:01:31 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Thanks YH. I made another change to the forum bridge. Let's see now if this problem comes back.

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 05:18:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Just got a slightly different one, Bob:

500 Server Error
A misconfiguration on the server caused a hiccup. Check the server logs, fix the problem, then try again. URL: http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=17160.30

It went away upon refresh.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Just got a slightly different one, Bob:

500 Server Error
A misconfiguration on the server caused a hiccup. Check the server logs, fix the problem, then try again. URL: http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=17160.30

It went away upon refresh.
This is related to the same query handling I've been talking about. There will be oddball errors here and there until settings are optimized and any conflicts that may exist are eliminated. I'm looking at logs and other reports to discern what still remains to be done. Also, when I change things in the settings I've been discussing that may mean that as a result your browser is trying to connect to something that is no longer valid. If that occurs and then persists, I recommend once again, flushing cache and cookies.

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 10:38:41 AM »

Offline bballee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
For the past two days I have gotten an IE error (Cannot load page requested) anytime I try to access the main page (CelticsBlog.com).  I can go to the forums, sign in (obviously).  Any ideas on what is going on?

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I couldn't even get onto Celticsblog from my desktop this morning.  It's an older computer.  I am able to get in from my laptop, which has Windows Vista.

I would ask if anyone else is getting blocked just trying to get into the home page, but I guess those people wouldn't be able to read this.

Anyway, when I tried to get in from my desktop I received the error "Internet Explorer cannot open this page" or something like that.  I could only choose OK and then it closes the page.

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I couldn't even get onto Celticsblog from my desktop this morning.  It's an older computer.  I am able to get in from my laptop, which has Windows Vista.

I would ask if anyone else is getting blocked just trying to get into the home page, but I guess those people wouldn't be able to read this.

Anyway, when I tried to get in from my desktop I received the error "Internet Explorer cannot open this page" or something like that.  I could only choose OK and then it closes the page.

I was getting the same message last night, it was very saddening to not be able to keep up with the blog...I thought it was only me, so seeing this thread is cathartic, and yay Bob for fixing it!
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 12:28:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've just now been able to get on the site. I kept getting a message that read "Error: Internet Explorer can not open the site http://celticsblog.com" It occured after the Celticsblog banner downloaded onto the top of the page and boom the error message showed. It's been like that for about the last 15 hours or so.

Don't know what you did but I'm finally able to get on again.

Thanks Bob. TP4U.

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 01:01:22 PM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
I had the same prob!

I'm just glad it's up now!

I love this site!
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think the lesson for all of you experiencing IE errors is:  download Firefox. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions