Author Topic: Trade Rumor: Cle-Ind  (Read 9349 times)

Trade Rumor: Cle-Ind
« on: May 23, 2008, 12:51:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Found this little tidbit hidden at the end of today's Chad Ford article at ESPN.com:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Draf****ch-080523&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dford_chad%26page%3dDraf****ch-080523

Trade rumors keep coming hot and heavy, though most of them are aren't worth repeating.

But here's one intriguing one I heard today: The Cleveland Cavaliers could trade Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Anderson Varejao and the No. 19 pick to Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal.

It's an interesting idea, but when I called team sources to find out if there was any truth to it, they shot it down as bogus.

Still, I'd watch both teams closely. I think the Pacers will move O'Neal this summer if they can, and I think the Cavs are definitely going to try and strengthen the supporting cast this summer for LeBron's sake. A healthy O'Neal could be a big boon for the Cavs, and head coach Mike Brown, formerly with the Pacers, should know how to get the best out of him.

Interesting that that someone feels(maybe Cleveland) an injured, disinterested, diminishing skills Jermaine O'Neal would suit Cleveland better than a top 20 draft pick, Z, and Sideshow Bob. I can see Indiana wanting to unload O'Neal on someone, by why the heck would Cleveland dump Z and AV and a pick for that little?

If this rumor has any truth to it and actually happens Indiana would start looking pretty good with a revamped front line and two picks at 11 and 19. They would easily be the winner of this trade.

If Cleveland is looking to unload Z I'm sure we could make room somehow? ;) ;D

Re: Trade Rumor: Cle-Ind
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 01:33:09 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Found this little tidbit hidden at the end of today's Chad Ford article at ESPN.com:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Draf****ch-080523&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dford_chad%26page%3dDraf****ch-080523

Trade rumors keep coming hot and heavy, though most of them are aren't worth repeating.

But here's one intriguing one I heard today: The Cleveland Cavaliers could trade Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Anderson Varejao and the No. 19 pick to Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal.

It's an interesting idea, but when I called team sources to find out if there was any truth to it, they shot it down as bogus.

Still, I'd watch both teams closely. I think the Pacers will move O'Neal this summer if they can, and I think the Cavs are definitely going to try and strengthen the supporting cast this summer for LeBron's sake. A healthy O'Neal could be a big boon for the Cavs, and head coach Mike Brown, formerly with the Pacers, should know how to get the best out of him.

Interesting that that someone feels(maybe Cleveland) an injured, disinterested, diminishing skills Jermaine O'Neal would suit Cleveland better than a top 20 draft pick, Z, and Sideshow Bob. I can see Indiana wanting to unload O'Neal on someone, by why the heck would Cleveland dump Z and AV and a pick for that little?

If this rumor has any truth to it and actually happens Indiana would start looking pretty good with a revamped front line and two picks at 11 and 19. They would easily be the winner of this trade.

With you all the way, Nick.  Seems like a helluva risk on Cleveland's part.  Then again, perhaps we should be accustomed by now to the fact that Danny Ferry specializes in making moves solely for the sake of appearing to be doing something  ???

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 01:44:01 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

With you all the way, Nick.  Seems like a helluva risk on Cleveland's part.  Then again, perhaps we should be accustomed by now to the fact that Danny Ferry specializes in making moves solely for the sake of appearing to be doing something  ???

-sw

But imagine the possible reward.  What if he can be a 20/10 guy again.  He's still a good defender.  Lebron and JO would be quite the duo.  I like this trade for Cleveland.  They are not gonna win with their current team and if this trade doesn't work out then they have a hell of an expiring contract to trade the next year.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 01:52:08 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Is JO that much of an upgrade over Z? I mean, JO has been relegated to a jump shooting role as he stays out of the paint for the most part. I'd say Z is much more consistent shooter than JO. Defensively, JO is better shot blocker, but it's not a big upgrade. At best, I see JO averging a 14/8 if he goes to Cleveland.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 02:33:32 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Is JO that much of an upgrade over Z? I mean, JO has been relegated to a jump shooting role as he stays out of the paint for the most part. I'd say Z is much more consistent shooter than JO. Defensively, JO is better shot blocker, but it's not a big upgrade. At best, I see JO averging a 14/8 if he goes to Cleveland.

Also O'neal's always hurt and plays soft. O'neil use to be a good defender and shot blocker, but that was 2 years ago. Big Z takes up space and can stick the open J. I don't think I'd trade big Z straight up for O'neil at this point in O'neils career.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 02:50:57 PM »

Offline Bleedgreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
This is a ridiculous trade fo rCLE to make. Puttin J.O. and Big Ben together in the paint will be a cluster. The beauty of Z is that he spreads the floor when he's out there because defenders have to respect his jump shot. I just don't see this happening, at least not this version.
As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game.
-Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29

Also O'neal's always hurt and plays soft. O'neil use to be a good defender and shot blocker, but that was 2 years ago. Big Z takes up space and can stick the open J. I don't think I'd trade big Z straight up for O'neil at this point in O'neils career.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd trade them straight up either. But then adding A. Verejo and the pick is WAY too much. I might do Z, AV 19th pick for JO and the 11th tho, but only if I thought I could get another backup big man. How long is AV signed for at this point?

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 03:04:19 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
if clevland did this trade, they should stamp "going to NYC" on the back of bron brons jersey next year lol ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 03:11:44 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
That's too much for O'Neal, and even if it were not, Varejao can't be traded until next December, and O'Neal can't be traded at all unless he exercises a termination option, since he's in the next to last year of his deal.

Bogus rumor.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 03:18:28 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
if clevland did this trade, they should stamp "going to NYC" on the back of bron brons jersey next year lol ;D

TP, crownsy.  Good stuff.  Though Jay-Z might not be so thrilled about that.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 03:21:47 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Chris Webber anyone?

O'Neal's career is looking alot like Webber's to me.  It was a few years ago when the Pacers were the top teams in the East and O'Neal was the major reason why, but O'Neal has had 4 straight injury/suspension plagued seasons with declining stats across the board.   I would not trade for player with the hope he's magically going to post the same numbers he did 5 years ago.  If it was one injury plagued season it would be one thing, but we're talking several here.  O'Neal is not just going to be able to turn back the clock put up big numbers and stay injury free.  Those injuries rob you of a lot, just ask Chris Webber. 

Year     Games    MPG     FG%    RPG    APG    PPG
04-05     44            34.8    45.2%     8.8    1.9     24.3
05-06     51            35.3    47.2%     9.3    2.6     20.1
06-07     69            35.6    43.6%     9.6    2.4     19.4
07-08     42            28.7    43.9%     6.7    2.2     13.6

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 03:36:26 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I'm intrigued by the though of JO in Cleveland.  He wouldn't have to lead the team, the fact that he IS a jumpshooter means that he's not clogging the paint and the other team needs to respect his shooting.  But, I don't see him being an improvement over Z.  At this point, he's a shorter, more injury-proned replacement.

The big man that Cleveland DOES need to unload, if at all possible, is Ben Wallace.  He's just not a good enough rebounder and defender today to justify how much harder his being on the court makes like for BronBron.  There's no point in surrounding BronBron with shooters like World if you're also going to have Wallace on the court, since they can still double-team off of him.  Problem is, I can't see any reason that Indiana would take him on, unless they could also unload Tinsley.

Would that make any sense?  Indiana dumps JO and Tinsley, gets out of their contracs.  Cleveland dumps Big Ben, Eric Snow, and gives Indy maybe Boobie Gibson and/or a draft pick.  Salaries for next year seem to be within 25%.  Indiana saves some $$; Wallace's contract sucks but only has two years left, and Snow is expiring.  JO's also two years, but Tinsley has three years remaining.  Tinsley has zero value in the league, but if he COULD stay healthy, he's OK. 

Indy saves some money, has an expiring contract to use in twelve months (a la trading Raef for Theo last year), and gets to unload Tinsley, who just needs to go.  Cleveland has a frontcourt of JO and Big Z, and 40 games of Tinsley.

Maybe Cleveland needs to throw something else in there...

And, Cleveland gets to continue their attempt to corner the market on everyone else's rejects.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I think Cleveland should do it. Instead of the lateral moves they have been making, it's time to start making negative ones. Honestly this would be a very bad decision, and all but cement Lebron leaving.

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 04:49:05 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
If there is any truth behind this rumor. It will be dumb move by Cleveland. I would rather have Big Z than O'neal. Adding Varejao and the 19th pick to the trade doesn't help the Cavs either.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 04:51:02 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
horrible trade for cleveland
sort of trade that would cost a gm his job
did love the side show bob reference  :D