Author Topic: Seriously, Who Needs Kawhi??  (Read 2552 times)

Re: Seriously, Who Needs Kawhi??
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 02:18:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If we can get to finals, and then compete well with Warriors, win or lose, no changes will be warranted.

If we get to the finals but get blown out by Warriors, and have no effective way to defend KD, then Danny has to consider trading for a KD defender. Is that Kawhi? I don’t know. Maybe others can tell us how he matches up defending KD. We know his history guarding Lebron. What about KD?

I thought Jaylen did decently guarding Durant in the few games he has guarded him. And his defense has only gotten better.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 02:21:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If we can get to finals, and then compete well with Warriors, win or lose, no changes will be warranted.

If we get to the finals but get blown out by Warriors, and have no effective way to defend KD, then Danny has to consider trading for a KD defender. Is that Kawhi? I don’t know. Maybe others can tell us how he matches up defending KD. We know his history guarding Lebron. What about KD?

I thought Jaylen did decently guarding Durant in the few games he has guarded him. And his defense has only gotten better.

The best defender I ever saw on KD was Tony Allen. He kept getting up into Durant and he did an excellent job. If we get that far, this year or next, I hope Brad gives Marcus Smart a tape of those KD vs Tony Allen games in the playoffs!

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73

Win or lose, next season we get Kyrie and Hayward back. Steph can't guard Kyrie, who is probably the second best lead guard in the league, right now, about to enter his prime.  Add in Hayward, and third year Brown and second year Tatum.  We could get swept and still not make any changes and compete with them next year.

We played 2 games against Golden State this year, both with Kyrie, won one by 5, lost one by 5.  No need to make any drastic changes.  Just no need.

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Jaylen had 22 and 20 in two games against GS this season. He was so good that Draymond Green was quoted saying Brown deserved a reserve spot in the All-Star game. At that time, it sounded a bit over the top.

There was a play during one of those games that I still remember because it was so astounding. Durant took one of his standard jab step jumpers, and Jaylen cleanly blocked the shot. I've never seen anyone else ever do that to him. Not Kawhi, not LeBron, not anyone.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 03:05:39 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton

Jaylen had 22 and 20 in two games against GS this season. He was so good that Draymond Green was quoted saying Brown deserved a reserve spot in the All-Star game. At that time, it sounded a bit over the top.

There was a play during one of those games that I still remember because it was so astounding. Durant took one of his standard jab step jumpers, and Jaylen cleanly blocked the shot. I've never seen anyone else ever do that to him. Not Kawhi, not LeBron, not anyone.

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly unfazed Jaylen Brown is.  I mean, he's 21 playing on the biggest stage against the players he idolized as a kid, the best in the world, and he's not the slightest bit in awe of them.  Its almost workmanlike. 

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 03:46:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

The best defender I ever saw on KD was Tony Allen. He kept getting up into Durant and he did an excellent job. If we get that far, this year or next, I hope Brad gives Marcus Smart a tape of those KD vs Tony Allen games in the playoffs!

TP. That's what I want to hear!

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 04:02:39 PM »

Offline mspring

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly unfazed Jaylen Brown is.  I mean, he's 21 playing on the biggest stage against the players he idolized as a kid, the best in the world, and he's not the slightest bit in awe of them.  Its almost workmanlike.

I remember when Jaylen blocked Durant's shot and I have never seen another player do that either!  I love Jayson Tatum and I love how Rozier has stepped up, but I feel like Jaylen has been flying under the radar some as far as national recognition. 

What he has done in only his second season to me has been incredible.  The main knock against him coming out of college was 1. His jump shot and 2. His decision making.  No one could deny his athleticism and defensive potential based on his athleticism, but they questioned his offensive ability, shooting and decision making.  Concerning his shooting, the improvements he has made since graduating from college are unbelievable.  Guys like the Greek Freak and Ben Simmons (although he has been in the league for less time) still have not developed their shot like Jaylen Brown already has.  In my opinion, they should be ashamed!  Ben Simmons was even quoted recently as saying he wouldn't alter his shooting form much.  Jaylen has shown an incredible work ethic and his shot is looking very good.  His decision making has vastly improved as well and he is already a very good defender.  I believe his upside is tremendous as is Jayson Tatum's.

This leads to my last point.  I believe we are in a very similar position to Golden State when they drafted Steph Curry, Draymond Green and Klay Thompson.  I remember thinking Golden State was crazy at the time when Minnesota was said to be offering Kevin Love for Klay Thompson and Golden State was not interested.  At the time I thought that was the missing piece Golden State needed as Kevin Love was a bigger name at that time.  Fast forward to what we know now about Klay Thompson and that was one of the shrewdest non moves the Warriors could have made.  They had confidence in players they drafted, kept them at lower salaries and brought in some key free agents to compliment them (Iguadola and Durant) and now a player like Klay has bought in to the Golden State way and wants to resign, even potentially at a lower than market rate. 

I believe we are in position to do the same with Smart, Rozier, Brown and Tatum when they become restricted free agents.  We are building a winning culture that I believe will make it hard for these players to want to leave.  We have invested in them, developed them and are adding key players around them, i.e. Kyrie and Hayward.  The future is bright!!!!

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 04:14:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The only thing that would stop me from making a trade for Kawhi would be that his injury is degenerative and it will effect his play and availability long term.

Now I would be willing to give up Tatum rather than Brown, salary filler(like maybe a S&T Smart) and any picks they want other than Sactown.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I wouldn't trade Brown or Tatum straight up for him---too many concerns-we have young GREAT players at decent money, with 3 MAX contracts on our books already--no way we give that up for a former all star, who will require $30+million a year.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton

Here's the difference with Tatum and Brown.  Danny needed to upgrade last years team.  He needed to upgrade Isaiah to Kyrie when the opportunity arose, and he needed to add a prime asset (according to report Nets pick or Jayson Tatum) to make that happen. 

He's now built a contender ahead of schedule (this would be the Brad effect).  He no longer needs to add to the team to be a contender, he already has one.  And that now puts him in the drivers seat.  He has a contender with Tatum and Brown that works with the cap and might for years to come.  So he doesn't need to move one to become a contender. 

And that makes for a dangerous man. 

He can name his price, sit tight, and if they pass, he's still fine. I'd imagine, short of getting AD to pair with Hayward and Kyrie, he probably won't offer Tatum or Brown, cause he doesn't have to.

Here's a take on this I wrote earlier on another thread.  I don't believe we need to worry about Danny trading either of these guys for Kawhi because his contender is already in place.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 04:57:35 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
You trade for Leonard because you upgrade from Morris to a finals MVP !

Kyrie is the most logical asset to move because he doesn’t fit our team system like IT.

If Leonard is healthy and you trade Kyrie + future first and filler (if needed) you do it.

I’m very comfortable with Hayward playing point or Tatum (after working on his handle) at the one.

Mismatch city baby.