Author Topic: Team USA V Turkey, 9-12  (Read 10517 times)

Re: Team USA V Turkey, 9-12
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 03:31:37 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Kevin Durant is on fire...and the Patriots are smokin' my Bengals -- we only have 17 points in the 4th...lol.  :-[

let's go Ocho-Cinco!!!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:37:28 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Erden looked pretty bad out there.  Bad hands, poor awareness, decent to mediocre defensively (can move his feet but too often in the wrong place).

Turkey should go back to the Asik/Ilyasova frontcourt.  Both make their pick and roll much more dangerous.  Too much time for Erden, Gonlom and Savvas (have no idea how to spell them, just going off the announcer).

Ilyasova has really impressed me. Good passer, smart player, versatile offensive big.  Mediocre defensively, but his rebounding ability mitigates that.

As for the USA, we have so many physical advantages, I have a hard time rooting for us.  Durant's single-handedly destroying the zone and making up for our irritating playground offensive approach.

The difference between Rose and Westbrook is interesting.  Both are dynamic off the dribble and lightyears beyond the competition athletically, both have terrible passing habits (hucking wild kickout passes after jumping in the air on the drive), both have a very tough time turning down open but low % shots, and both tend to dribble into trouble, but Westbrook distances himself with his defensive tenacity and ferocious work on the boards, while Rose tends to disappear on D and on O when off-the-ball.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
Durant is just eviscerating Turkey. 

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 03:50:07 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Wow - the rest of team USA missing everything, KD on fire!

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 03:53:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Hate to praise a Laker but the announcers are right - Odom's been playing very well.  His game is well-suited for international play.

USA is getting close to closing Turkey out, but they can't keep relying on Durant for all the scoring. 

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 04:03:27 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Nice little move by Erden

followed by a bad one.

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 04:05:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Ok - I think Erdin is a keeper.

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
Wow.  Erden just shut down Durant one on one.  Those quick feet are intriguing, but man is he raw.

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Good job USA!

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 04:35:26 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Congrats USA.

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 04:50:21 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Congratulations to Mike Krzyzewski for being the first international coach to win olympic gold and gold (first-place) in the FIBA World Championships. All that, plus a NCAA tournament win for Duke seems to demonstrate that 'Coach K' is one of the greatest basketball coaches in US history.

I found it interesting that during halftime when the US was already leading by double-digits they interviewed Krzyzewski and asked him if he thought that being a college coach might effect his ability to achieve success coaching professional athletes; most of the players he works with during his regular job aren't being paid much more than scholarship money while they are playing for him.

I've always wondered if Mike Krzyzewski would be a good fit as an NBA coach like Larry Brown. Could you imagine him coaching the Celtics if Doc chose to take a break from coaching the NBA to watch his son play college basketball? I mean it's a long-shot that he would leave the Duke organization and the legacy he has built there, however he certainly wouldn't be the first college coach to try his hand at the pros.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:43:01 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 04:52:02 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
All-hail USA. Great Job. What can i say about K-D that haven't been said already. BEAST!

Told you Semih wasn't that bad. He won't be a star but will be serviceable player in the NBA.

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Erden seems to have a bit of an attitude which could be good; but hope he is teachable, because he is still very raw and unfocused. He is definitely a defensive presence; but seems to miss assignments at times.

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 06:22:53 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Tourney was very fun. A lot of close games and a good amount of rowdy crowds. Durant looked to be a good level above everyone else and saved some of his teammates from some embarrassment: I think a lot of fingers would be pointed at Derrick Rose's odd implosion that seemed to start in the knockout rounds.

Rooting for KD added a little fuel to the championship in 08 or 15 years of KD discussion for me personally. I don't see how anyone could dislike him.

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
Coach K's ability to get young NBA stars to buy into 40 minutes of pressure D and management's ability to get him the right players for that strategy are to be commended.  But did they have to make winning basketball look so ugly?  They basically just junked up the skilled but slower offensive players from Europe and turned these games into track meets and 3-pt shooting contests.   It looked like a video game.

The disparity in athleticism in these contests removes a lot of skill from the equation and takes a lot of the joy out of basketball.

It's a shame Pau missed the tourney and the more athletic/dynamic Spaniards didn't make the final game.  Would have made for much more entertaining basketball.