Author Topic: USA playing Russia  (Read 6943 times)

USA playing Russia
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
NOW on ESPN
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Re: USA playing Russia
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:34:22 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Looks to be a dangerous game.  Win or go home....and the Russians are playing good team ball, and Defense!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:57:13 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
It used to be that USA would beat everyone by 40 points.  Then some teams would play around the 10-15 margin.  Then there were a few close games and eventually USA lost a couple to some of the best teams playing like their lives dependended on it.  Now USA is struggling against even a little above mediocre teams like Russia, Brazil and Croatia.  I actually likem that better.  It resembles a more even and realistic game like scenario.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
I think it is a combination of the US not sending the A team to the worlds, and the rest of the world catching up as far as basketball is concerned.   Just like the US is catching up as far as soccer is concerned.  Not there yet...but competitive...

Look at all the international stars now in the NBA.  The popularity of the sport has a lot to do with it, and whether or not you like Stern, he has done a good job globalizing basketball.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
This is the first of our games I'm watching. The team seems a bit disjointed. They don't seem to have built much more chemistry from the last scrimmage I saw.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:23:04 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
This ESPN3 broadcast is actually pretty good.  I like the announcing crew, even though some of the camera angles leave something to be desired (that Westbrook dunk, for instance). 

I really like what I've seen from Iguodala today.  He plays well as a power forward in international ball - better around the basket than I thought he was.

Westbrook is taking over right now.

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 12:24:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Russia is starting to press...USA can put the game away over the next 5 minutes or so.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The commentators are lulling me to sleep ... dull and boring.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Russia are a weak team ... this is a poor game of basketball.

USA's ability to force turnovers should see them win this tournament handedly enough.

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:33:23 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
The commentators are lulling me to sleep ... dull and boring.

I think they're pretty good.  They're informative, they know the game, they know the teams, and they don't seem to have an obvious bias.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 12:57:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Durant is pretty special
Yup

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
Durant is pretty special

more than that... he's the best scorer in the game. He's still to develope clutchness, but he's the main reason to watch team USA.

The game was over when they called Mozgov's 4th when he clearly blocked a shot. The Russian team doesn't have the players to stay in the game with team USA. Argentina (if they beat Lithuanians) will be tougher to beat. As much as I'd like to see Serbia and Argentina rematching the 2002 finals, I think Turkey and USA will play the final game. It will be fun to watch. Good luck

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 01:28:05 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
Durant is pretty special

more than that... he's the best scorer in the game. He's still to develope clutchness, but he's the main reason to watch team USA.

The game was over when they called Mozgov's 4th when he clearly blocked a shot. The Russian team doesn't have the players to stay in the game with team USA. Argentina (if they beat Lithuanians) will be tougher to beat. As much as I'd like to see Serbia and Argentina rematching the 2002 finals, I think Turkey and USA will play the final game. It will be fun to watch. Good luck

What, you mean the play where Mosgov jumped into Rose to contest the shot?  He didn't foul with his hands; he fouled with his body.  I thought that was a good call, in a game where the refs were inconsistent at best.

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 08:16:09 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
Durant is pretty special

What, you mean the play where Mosgov jumped into Rose to contest the shot?  He didn't foul with his hands; he fouled with his body.  I thought that was a good call, in a game where the refs were inconsistent at best.

yup, the refs were consistently inconsistent, but I can't see where's the foul. It's in the 8:15 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwpmSkTN1AM

By the way, Mozgov was blocked by Durant (5:50 mark) in a very similar fashion --> clean block.

And no, team USA doesn't need the refs to blow out Russia. Travel should be called, and hard defenses should be allowed both ways.

Peace

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 01:12:07 AM »

Offline grace02

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
After three preseason games, Kobe kobe bryant jerseysBryant was 4-for-28 on the ground. Bryantkobe bryant jerseys was slow to regain his usual form after surgery MVP caliber pre-season on his right knee. Los Angeles Daily News reports Lakers coach Phil Jackson plans to play his superstakobe bryant jerseysr guard as much as 24 minutes in a friendly match this evening. Denver Nuggets will play the Los Angeles Lakers at Staples Center on Saturday night.