Author Topic: Team USA needs Rondo (Dime Mag)  (Read 7649 times)

Team USA needs Rondo (Dime Mag)
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:39:16 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
http://dimemag.com/2010/09/team-usa-needs-rajon-rondo/

Although Team USA has rolled to a sterling 5-0 record in at the 2010 FIBA World Championships, it’s hard to feel completely comfortable with the Americans’ play. In their toughest test, a two-point victory over Brazil, the group managed just nine points in the fourth quarter. A major cause for concern has been the play in the backcourt, causing me to wonder if Team USA could have used the services of Rajon Rondo.

While no one knows the complete story surrounding Rondo’s departure from Team USA, we do know that they’re in need of him now. In retrospect, the knocks on Rondo during tryouts now seem silly. Under the assumption that Coach K understood the vast mysteries of “International Basketball” (after all, he somehow beat Spain with Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, LeBron James and Dwight Howard on the court), many went along with the belief that Rondo was just not right for FIBA play. The common criticisms justifying his departure were that he couldn’t shoot and didn’t make free throws.

Under closer examination, these criticism don’t seem consequential. Aside from Chauncey Billups, the USA guards have only shot a combined 29 free throws over five games. And despite his lack of pure shooting ability, Rondo’s stroke is not significantly worse than that of Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook, the two players he was competing against for a point guard spot. (Note: In 2010, Rose shot 27 percent, Westbrook 22 percent and Rondo 21 percent from three. I’m not sure you feel the need to fly out at any of these bricklayers). Incidentally, Rondo shot the higher percentage from the field than both Rose and Westbrook.

Meanwhile, Babysitter Billups, who many regarded as an excellent selection because of his ability to play both guard positions, has served as a steadying (if unremarkable) force. His strength and savvy has gotten him to the line a team-leading 18 times, but he no longer has the jets to pressure opposing guards and has been able to knock down only four of his 19 three-point attempts. While he provides a sense of leadership coveted by USA Basketball, he’s looked as uncomfortable as almost anyone with the international game while in Turkey.

What’s so perplexing about the questioning of Rondo’s ability to excel in the FIBA setting is that Rondo is essentially a better version of Ricky Rubio. A flashy penetrator and master of the pick-and-roll, it’s hard to imagine Rondo’s vision and ability to break down defenses with sharp passing or a lighting first-step would be lost in translation.

Although international play has a reputation for being more dependent on outside shooting, the fact is that there are plenty of point guards who excel without being a deep threat. In fact, because international big men are more comfortable shooting away from the basket, it’s more important that the point guard be able to penetrate and create than make the shot himself. There are only a handful of players in the entire world that are as adept at finding driving creases and kick out angles as Rajon Rondo is.

Of the guards Team USA did select, none are averaging more than three assists per game and Rose (the starting point guard) has as many turnovers as he does assists. Aside from these recorded mistakes, Rose has consistently played with shoot-first mentality, averaging a paltry 3.5 assists/36 minutes of run. Against Brazil, Rose killed a number of fourth quarter possessions by going one-on-one (or three) instead of creating ball movement and open looks for his teammates.

Westbrook has shown better vision than Rose at times, but has operated in limited minutes. His defense and electrifying drives have been effective, but he thrives on full court mayhem rather than the organization of FIBA half court basketball. As a result, he is less of an asset in close games that slow to a snail’s pace in the fourth quarter.

Over the last week it’s become clear that the attributes Rondo has in excess – ball-handling, the ability to decipher defenses and floor leadership – are in short supply on Team USA. Regardless of the reason he was left off the team, it’s hard to justify his absence using his history as a player, or the play of his peers in Turkey

Re: Team USA needs Rondo (Dime Mag)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:58:03 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Very cool article.  TP for posting it.  I really wish Rondo had continued on with Team USA and I do think he would have been a great asset for that squad.  Plus I wanted an offseason full of Rajon to Durant highlights...

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
I'm kind of torn.

On the one hand I think it would have been a great experience for him to mature and be around some top pros.

The big downside of course is the risk of injury.

Having said that I think that Coack K wanted to use him as a defender and put the ball handling duties in billups' hands, which makes me think he wouldn't have learnt a lot.

I do agree however that Westbrook and Rose are not much better shooters than rondo, and he is the best, (even better than Rose) at taking it to the hoop and finishing with english off the glass.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:14:47 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
If Rondo was on the team, and *if* they underperformed....   you know exactly where the blame would go, even if underserved.  Same as Pierce unfairly took virtually all of the criticism for the '02 US National Team; PP deserved SOME blame, but it wasn't all on him.  If Rondo was still on this squad and *if* they didn't win, you just know everyone would look squarely at the kid with the bad jumper and extend their index finger in his direction ...  even if he did everything else right, if the team failed they'd blame the point guard who can't shoot.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:30:15 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I feel Westbrook's pull-up 13 foot jumpers are better than any midrange game that Rondo has, so I disagree with that part of the analysis. None of those 3 can hit from 3 in the NBA, but the line is considerable shorter in this tournament so use of NBA 3pt stats is misguided.

I do think Rondo would help us get into our offense and get people better shots. Based on how things have been playing out, it seems Curry has been extraneous. On the other hand, it is helpful to have guys like Curry who are happy to be buried on the bench.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 01:28:29 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
I will say that any comments I made about Rondo and Team USA were  not meant to be a knock on him.

I just knew that USA basketball would treat him this way.  He would have been a huge asset to the team.

Rose IMO will turn out to be a poor mans Iverson in the near furture.  The Bulls will bring in a distributor to play with him while he tries to be the next D Wade.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 04:47:02 AM »

Offline Papatrichs

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
A vindication for Rondo perhaps? At least our man is Man enough to keep his mouth shut in all of this and let the USA Team's play speaks for it self.

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rondo was the best defensive guard on that team.

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 09:55:34 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I feel Westbrook's pull-up 13 foot jumpers are better than any midrange game that Rondo has, so I disagree with that part of the analysis. None of those 3 can hit from 3 in the NBA, but the line is considerable shorter in this tournament so use of NBA 3pt stats is misguided.

Russell hit about 34% of his 10-15 foot shots last year, Rondo hit about 47% from that range.

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 10:05:56 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Irrelevant under the circumstances - but in the only close game so far (vs Brazil), Rondo's ft shooting "could have" been the difference between winning and losing.

Of course, if Coach K had Rondo and had chosen to play Love and Gordon more minutes, fts probably wouldn't have mattered.

Terrible coaching job in a 3 day back-to-back...

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Irrelevant under the circumstances - but in the only close game so far (vs Brazil), Rondo's ft shooting "could have" been the difference between winning and losing.

Assuming, of course, that better ball movement wouldn't have led to more than 9 points in the 4th.

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 11:25:32 AM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I'm honestly still thinking that the Celtics will trade Marquis along with Nate Robinson. Wafer is going to be outstanding and Delonte is definitely now a permanent Celtic forever. Bradley may be kept also. That leaves no room for Nate.

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I'm honestly still thinking that the Celtics will trade Marquis along with Nate Robinson. Wafer is going to be outstanding and Delonte is definitely now a permanent Celtic forever. Bradley may be kept also. That leaves no room for Nate.
??? What?

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
??? What?

Seconded, possibly for different reasons.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 12:51:31 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
What's with he trade talks ? Wrong thread?

I hope USA wins but it would also be funny if the stats made it seem like they lost because  of cutting Rajon.