Author Topic: Marcus Morris is 382th in the league in real plus and minus  (Read 18209 times)

Re: Marcus Morris is 382th in the league in real plus and minus
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
To be fair Morris is like 4x the player he was a couple months ago.  I didn’t like him either when the thread was started.  Now he looks awesome!

I think he looked fine for most of the season, especially once he got healthy.  For instance, in January he averaged 13 / 6 with a .556 TS%. Since this thread was started in early February, it has always seemed to ignore a bit of reality from my perspective.
But the 13/6 Morris is what he has been over his career so far...

It is. And 13/6 Morris is a really good player to have on your bench or as a part-time 5th starter.  I don’t understand those fans that don’t appreciate him.
All I'm saying is that what we observed in the second half of the season wasn't just returning to his usual level of production, it was a qualitative step up. Given that his long track record of, well, being a 13/6 guy that's "just decent", I'd be a bit wary of expecting the step up is going to last. But who knows, it might.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Re: Marcus Morris is 336th in the league in real plus and minus
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2018, 12:25:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think Marcus Morris is our problem.  He has not been quite as good as I hoped but it seems his injury is holding him back some.  He has been pretty good in January and February.  I see him settling in as a bench role alongside Smart and Rozier and helping the team down the stretch and in the playoffs.

I don't know or care whether real plus minus is a good stat or not.  Morris is what he is.

I wanted to go back and see what I had said on this topic.  For me, I trust what I see on the court much more than stats.  Stats are part of the picture also of course but only in the context of the actual play.

For most of the season, Morris was less than I expected but I still liked him.  Down the stretch and in the playoffs, he has been better than I expected.  I thought he would be a start but Stevens has found a nice role for him off the bench with him playing to close out the game.

He has assumed a real important veteran presence helping to stabilize an otherwise pretty young team.  He was a great find by Ainge.  We had to trade Bradley to clear space for Hayward.  Under those circumstances, this was a great trade.

Re: Marcus Morris is 336th in the league in real plus and minus
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2018, 12:46:59 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I don't think Marcus Morris is our problem.  He has not been quite as good as I hoped but it seems his injury is holding him back some.  He has been pretty good in January and February.  I see him settling in as a bench role alongside Smart and Rozier and helping the team down the stretch and in the playoffs.

I don't know or care whether real plus minus is a good stat or not.  Morris is what he is.

I wanted to go back and see what I had said on this topic.  For me, I trust what I see on the court much more than stats.  Stats are part of the picture also of course but only in the context of the actual play.

For most of the season, Morris was less than I expected but I still liked him.  Down the stretch and in the playoffs, he has been better than I expected.  I thought he would be a start but Stevens has found a nice role for him off the bench with him playing to close out the game.

He has assumed a real important veteran presence helping to stabilize an otherwise pretty young team.  He was a great find by Ainge.  We had to trade Bradley to clear space for Hayward.  Under those circumstances, this was a great trade.

Agreed.  I didn't expect this production when the trade happened.  I thought he was a guy for the 2nd unit.  He's a much better scorer then I imagined and he's bailed the C's out and hit tough shots down the stretch.  Good defensive player and I'm happy he's on this team.  He fits the identity and mentality of a hard working next man up player. 

« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2018, 03:34:08 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
There have been a lot of times he bails us out when the sets don't produce anything.

Yep! Some of the contested shots he has made against MIL have been ridiculous!

« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2018, 03:44:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Marcus Morris is better than Carmelo Anthony.

Let that sink in.

Now, before you respond, look at the numbers of each.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Carmelo+Anthony&player_id1_select=Carmelo+Anthony&player_id1=anthoca01&y1=2018&player_id2_hint=Marcus+Morris&player_id2_select=Marcus+Morris&y2=2018&player_id2=morrima03&idx=players

Every number per36 is higher other than blocks. He is more efficient. His shooting percentages are better. He is a better rebounder. He has few fouls. He is a better passer.

His offensive rating is better. His defensive rating is better. His free throw rate is better.

Now consider Morris' one-on-one defense against elite forwards like Giannis, Lebron, Simmons, and Durant. Now consider Morris' contract.

Marcus Morris is better than Carmelo Anthony. Marcus Morris is coming off our bench.

« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Hope he plays well vs. LeBron

« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2018, 10:08:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Every time this thread pops up I get annoyed at “382th”
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2018, 10:17:24 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker

Why?

« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2018, 10:18:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Let that sink in.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Carmelo+Anthony&player_id1_select=Carmelo+Anthony&player_id1=anthoca01&y1=2018&player_id2_hint=Marcus+Morris&player_id2_select=Marcus+Morris&y2=2018&player_id2=morrima03&idx=players

Every number per36 is higher other than blocks. He is more efficient. His shooting percentages are better. He is a better rebounder. He has few fouls. He is a better passer.

His offensive rating is better. His defensive rating is better. His free throw rate is better.

Now consider Morris' one-on-one defense against elite forwards like Giannis, Lebron, Simmons, and Durant. Now consider Morris' contract.

Marcus Morris is better than Carmelo Anthony. Marcus Morris is coming off our bench.

Huge supporter of Carmelo, but agree not to mention he's getting paid 28 mil. Yikes. OKC really shot themselves in the foot.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2018, 10:23:46 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Me too. But in fairness to the OP, the number was different at the beginning of the thread, so it was "336th."

Now, why the OP saw fit to change the number without changing the ordinal indicator is its own puzzle.

(Yes, I looked up the correct term, and it is "ordinal indicator.")

« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2018, 10:41:59 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Morris seemed horrible in the Sixers series.  He was an inaccurate gunner.

« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker

Let that sink in.

Huge supporter of Carmelo, but agree not to mention he's getting paid 28 mil. Yikes. OKC really shot themselves in the foot.

Yikes @ 28 M!!

« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2018, 05:44:10 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Me too. But in fairness to the OP, the number was different at the beginning of the thread, so it was "336th."

Now, why the OP saw fit to change the number without changing the ordinal indicator is its own puzzle.

(Yes, I looked up the correct term, and it is "ordinal indicator.")

TP for the research.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2018, 05:50:14 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
OK Marcus

« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
His defense on Lebron more than makes up for all his bad shots all season.