Preferred Trade Target

Grant
22 (40%)
Vucevic
26 (47.3%)
Neither
7 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Preference Grant or Vucevic?  (Read 7884 times)

Re: Preference Grant or Vucevic?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2021, 05:44:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Grant probably makes more sense for playoff ball, but I think adding Vuc would immediately make a huge difference offensively and I think Brad's teams work better when there's a big who can operate out of the middle post and hit pick and pop jumpers consistently.

I have doubts that the Celts are going to have the best offer to make for either player. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2021, 06:02:48 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Are we assuming both would require the same package?  Something like Rob and a first at a starting point?

The Cs aren't trading Robert Williams. Very unlikely. Can't figure out why people keep tossing him around in trade proposals.

If the right player comes along, why wouldn’t you include Rob Williams. You have to give up something. Williams plays a position that Ainge wants to upgrade.

It would be nice to give up a Grant Williams or Theis instead, but it doesn’t work that way.

Another instance of Green Teamers overvaluing our guys and wanting to get superstars for pennies on the dollar.

Sure Rob Williams has shown moments of greatness recently, but he's also been extremely injury prone and a bench warmer for the majority of his professional career. If you can get a player of Vucevic's stature for him you do that in a heartbeat.
The SAME reason Todd doesn't want to include Rob is the same reason why he's being included in trade rumors; he has value.  Of course, this goes to my premise.  The moment a guy strings together a few games many fans don't want to trade the guy. 

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 06:39:52 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Are we assuming both would require the same package?  Something like Rob and a first at a starting point?

The Cs aren't trading Robert Williams. Very unlikely. Can't figure out why people keep tossing him around in trade proposals.

If the right player comes along, why wouldn’t you include Rob Williams. You have to give up something. Williams plays a position that Ainge wants to upgrade.

It would be nice to give up a Grant Williams or Theis instead, but it doesn’t work that way.

Another instance of Green Teamers overvaluing our guys and wanting to get superstars for pennies on the dollar.

Sure Rob Williams has shown moments of greatness recently, but he's also been extremely injury prone and a bench warmer for the majority of his professional career. If you can get a player of Vucevic's stature for him you do that in a heartbeat.
The SAME reason Todd doesn't want to include Rob is the same reason why he's being included in trade rumors; he has value.  Of course, this goes to my premise.  The moment a guy strings together a few games many fans don't want to trade the guy.

Yeah, I mean, lots of celtic fans didn't want to trade Al Jefferson for KG. Vucevic is no KG, but if the right player is available you have to give to get.

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2021, 06:53:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm not buying the Grant rumors even a little. Ainge likes to shop in the blue light section of Kmart.

If Vuc is the target I'll just close my eyes on the defensive end come playoffs.
Vucevic is not a bad defender though...?
Are you sure about that? I watch a bunch of Magic games. He has never struck me as a good defender at all and definitely not the type of defender that would work well in Brad's switch everything defense.

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 07:10:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If the team is dealing with the magic feel there is a better shot of

Smart and TT
for
Gordon and Fournier

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 07:16:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm not buying the Grant rumors even a little. Ainge likes to shop in the blue light section of Kmart.

If Vuc is the target I'll just close my eyes on the defensive end come playoffs.
Are you sure about that? I watch a bunch of Magic games. He has never struck me as a good defender at all and definitely not the type of defender that would work well in Brad's switch everything defense.
That's basically my point - he's not good, but he's not bad. People pigeonhole him as a bad defender because he's a Euro big when he's a really solid positional defender with great length, he just struggles on the perimeter. Given two of our big men already struggle at defending the perimeter (TT and TL) I don't see it as an issue
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2021, 07:40:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Vucevic for me although that may be out of ignorance as to how much Jerami Grant has improved. His stats look good but I cannot be bothered to watch that crappy Detroit team. I know what Vucevic brings to the table and I'd love to have him here.

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2021, 07:51:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Vucevic for me although that may be out of ignorance as to how much Jerami Grant has improved. His stats look good but I cannot be bothered to watch that crappy Detroit team. I know what Vucevic brings to the table and I'd love to have him here.
This is a very reasonable take, they are absolutely brutal to watch

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2021, 07:57:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

That's basically my point - he's not good, but he's not bad. People pigeonhole him as a bad defender because he's a Euro big when he's a really solid positional defender with great length, he just struggles on the perimeter. Given two of our big men already struggle at defending the perimeter (TT and TL) I don't see it as an issue
Yeah, but, Theis and Thompson are better positionally than Vuc. He really is more in the league of Kanter on defense than Thompson or Theis.

And I never judge a player by their color or nationality. Don't care if he is from Europe or St. Louis or Brazil or Asia or Australia. I don't see him as a good defender.

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2021, 08:04:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah, but, Theis and Thompson are better positionally than Vuc. He really is more in the league of Kanter on defense than Thompson or Theis.

And I never judge a player by their color or nationality. Don't care if he is from Europe or St. Louis or Brazil or Asia or Australia. I don't see him as a good defender.
I disagree with that pretty vehemently. I don't think Thompson is better positionally at all, and he's smaller and weaker to boot. I'd put Vucevic in the Valanciunas and Baynes category of defenders. Solid positional defenders who have strength, but are limited rim protectors and perimeter defenders.

Didn't mean to accuse you of anything, just a general thing I've noticed.

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2021, 08:07:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I disagree with that pretty vehemently. I don't think Thompson is better positionally at all, and he's smaller and weaker to boot. I'd put Vucevic in the Valanciunas and Baynes category of defenders. Solid positional defenders who have strength, but are limited rim protectors and perimeter defenders.

Didn't mean to accuse you of anything, just a general thing I've noticed.
We will have to agree to disagree. I see one or more Magic games a week(local team) and I am just not seeing what you are describing in Vucevic.

TP for the discussion.

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2021, 09:35:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I've said it before, assuming we could also lose 1 of Thompson or Theis in the offseason, Vucevic would be an ideal target for the TPE in the offseason.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2021, 03:47:01 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I feel that Grant would fit in much better as a third string option on our team than Vuc would. Vuc is probably the better player though.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2021, 05:15:16 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Jerami Grant is one of the closest examples of a blue chip asset since 2013 Chandler Parsons. Back then Parsons was arguably the second best best player on the Rockets but locked into another 2 years of his second round pick rookie contract.

Parsons was a hot commodity for any contender looking to add size and shooting on the wing without going over the cap.

Grant makes much more than Parson did back then but with 2 remaining years on a contract that he has so far outperformed, he is an ideal cost controlled wing to stick next to Jaylen and Tatum for the foreseeable future.

I think Vucevic is a better player at a greater position of need but Grant has the potential to negate the loss of Hayward and possibly even improve on him. Hayward faced constant uncertainty of his role, was on a different age curvethan the 2 best players, and dealt with resentment for his contract. Grant however would be joining his 2 peers Tatum and Brown to fill a defined role that he's well suited toward on a fair deal.

I like Vuc but Grant might be the play.

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2021, 09:07:00 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Grant for me. He seems like a great fit with our switch everything defense.

That said, how do we even match salaries? What kind of value are we giving up so that Detroit bites? Pritchard + Theis + TPE + picks?
- LilRip