Poll

Would you fire Trader Danny

Yes
18 (16.8%)
No
89 (83.2%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: Poll: Fire Ainge  (Read 10889 times)

Poll: Fire Ainge
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:41:40 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

No Jimmy Butler, No K.L. No A.D. no.Harden. what did he do with those assets. Nothing. See you Danny. You suck.

Re: Poll: Fire Ainge
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:51:34 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I guess Tatum and Brown are regarded as a failure of epic proportions. ;D

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 08:05:57 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Such a weak take. Thats the only thing he has going for him. The nets trade. He did jothing with all those assets.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:11:46 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I wouldn't fire him this year but I'd put him on a tight, short leash. I can't fault him for not getting Harden/Durant/AD/etc. But I can fault him for going after Kyrie, hanging onto Kyrie, overreacting and overpaying Kemba, and in the process giving away 8th overall pick that could have been Colin Sexton or Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:12:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Such a weak take. Thats the only thing he has going for him. The nets trade. He did jothing with all those assets.

I mean, Danny traded for a star and signed two guys to max contracts.  As Wyc suggested, if Kyrie doesn’t flake out we’ve probably got a team of Horford / Davis / Hayward / Brown / Kyrie right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 08:15:31 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

I mean, Danny traded for a star and signed two guys to max contracts.  As Wyc suggested, if Kyrie doesn’t flake out we’ve probably got a team of Horford / Davis / Hayward / Brown / Kyrie right now.

Davis was never, ever, ever, ever ever erve vervevrverevevrerve coming here

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 08:17:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yet, the entire NBA thought he was, including the Pelicans.  That’s why they didn’t trade him the deadline before.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

The Jays were both Nets picks and both draft picks were a gamble by Ainge. He was killed when he traded the #1 and the chance to pick a "surefire" star in Markelle Fultz for Tatum. Jaylen was widely considered a reach at the time - actually people were upset that pick wasn't packaged for Jimmy Butler. If he followed the overwhelming popular draft consensus at the time, we'd have Fultz and Kris Dunn.

If you're going to handwring over his misses, then you have to give him credit for the times he's gone against he grain and had it pan out.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 09:03:40 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Yout right about that. And u know what. Thats his fault too. He put all his chips in that basket and it was never going to happen.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 09:03:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ainge has:

-Drafted the best player in the draft two years in a row.
-Drafted the best guard defender in the league
-Signed the 2nd best and the best free agents on the market to years in a row
-Hired a college coach that is now considered one of the top coaches in the league
-Traded for Isaiah Thomas who gave the team an MVP worthy year
-Traded for Kyrie, who on the court is one of the best PGs in the league
-When Kyrie left signed a multi-time All-Star and an All-NBA player in Kemba
-Drafted some players that turned into excellent picks from #16 and lower in Rozier, Timelord and Pritchard.
- Got three teams to the ECFs 3 out of 4 years

Sure doesn't look like a resume that gets a guy fired.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 09:05:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

The Jays were both Nets picks and both draft picks were a gamble by Ainge. He was killed when he traded the #1 and the chance to pick a "surefire" star in Markelle Fultz for Tatum. Jaylen was widely considered a reach at the time - actually people were upset that pick wasn't packaged for Jimmy Butler. If he followed the overwhelming popular draft consensus at the time, we'd have Fultz and Kris Dunn.

If you're going to handwring over his misses, then you have to give him credit for the times he's gone against he grain and had it pan out.

Tatum.was a good move. Thats about it.

U would have drafted Jamal Murray and Caris levert #16 that year. Not Yabu.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 09:07:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is a bad take. Danny tried the max FA/trade route and injuries destroyed us. Yes, he could have traded the Jays away, but there were no guarantees. AD and Kawhi were very clear about wanting to leave after one season and I couldn't care less about Butler.

So, here we are. Our back-up plan? 22 and 24 year old all-stars signed to long-term deals. Sucks to be us  ::)

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 09:11:00 PM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
No way do you fire Danny. He'll get the job done.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 09:21:19 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
I voted yes, and I'll try and explain why.

Let me begin by saying that I think Danny has done a great job by and large. Even more so when evaluated against his peers.

He has done a great job with building a culture of winning that didn't exist here for years. He's made some outstanding trades, made some great draft picks and excellent signings. I could go on with his resume, but I don't think that's necessary on this board.

So, why would I "fire" him?

It's really as simple as this, I do not believe he is the best person for the job today and for the future.

Why?

At this point I think it's obvious that the Celtics future is tied to Brown and Tatum. And that is just a fantastic starting point. However I think we all could admit that they need help. Where is that help going to come from? Maybe free agency if they can use the TPE this off season. Maybe.

More likely is that help will have to come through the draft or trades. And this leads us into why I believe it's time to move onto another voice overseeing basketball OPS.

There is very little evidence that Danny currently possesses the skillset to acquire players from other teams via trade. There have been countless articles and quotes over the years about how Danny goes for the kill, and doesn't make fair trades.

The league doesn't trust him. And I'm not so sure that players do either. Combined with his mediocre drafting outside the high lottery, and it becomes really difficult to see a future where he acquires the supporting cast needed to put Tatum and Brown in the championship position we all hope they will be.

So it's time to move on.

Oh and just in case this question gets asked, yes, I do have a plan to replace him. There is a former Executive of the year that is currently unemployed. He has championship pedigree, and a notorious competitive streak just like Danny. He has a great reputation around the league, and some level of history with the Celtics.

I believe you may have heard of him, his name is...

Larry...freaking...Bird

8)
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 09:23:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Is Bird unemployed or retired?