Author Topic: Your Quasi-Realistic Dream Trade Deadline  (Read 15949 times)

Re: Your Quasi-Realistic Dream Trade Deadline
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2021, 01:18:17 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I wonder what moves are out there to accumulate future firsts. If there is a way to get Collins using just Kanter’s TPE, that would be my route. I wonder if anyone on the roster other than Brown, Tatum, or Smart would net us picks that we could move to Atlanta. Theis? Thompson? Pritchard? Langford? Any quasi-playoff team that can use them to make a push?

Dallas I could see shopping picks for immediate help for Doncic. Not sure exactly what help they are looking for, though.

Indy could use a third big after Sabonis/Turner (or did we burn that bridge with the Hayward debacle?).

I doubt Toronto would do a deal with us, but they are looking for a big.

Phoenix? San Antonio? Golden State? New Orleans?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2021, 01:19:59 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I wonder what moves are out there to accumulate future firsts. If there is a way to get Collins using just Kanter’s TPE, that would be my route. I wonder if anyone on the roster other than Brown, Tatum, or Smart would net us picks that we could move to Atlanta. Theis? Thompson? Pritchard? Langford? Any quasi-playoff team that can use them to make a push?

Dallas I could see shopping picks for immediate help for Doncic. Not sure exactly what help they are looking for, though.

Indy could use a third big after Sabonis/Turner (or did we burn that bridge with the Hayward debacle?).

I think Collins is a dream that is not going to happen.

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2021, 01:23:34 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Semi realistic but kinda of dream scenario:

Celtics in:
A.Gordon, Fournier and  T. Ross

Orlando in:
Kemba, Langford and Nesmith + BOS 21 FRP

We got the 2/3/4 positions covered between the orlando's trio and the Js. PP and MS focus solely on playing the point guard position with Smart occasionally at the 3 or 4. Do not play Smart at the 2 as this will be Brown's or Fournier's or Ross' duty.

Orlando "rebuilds" on the fly plus still have 2 all stars and 2 picks coming in from a deep draft and two promising wings to develop which they really need.

Then in the offseason when Atlanta are faced with maxing Collins their asking price will come down significantly for a sign and trade. I would think at that point Gordon plus a lightly protected pick will be enough to get Collins in a S&T utilizing the TPE we will still have.
If you get Collins through that route then it's OK but without getting Collins in the offseason it's pretty bad. It's basically Kemba and two 1st for Aaron Gordon and Ross. Rather keep Kemba and try to develop Nesmith. Then do a three way deal in off season to ensure you get Collins.
Gordon is probably worth 2 FRPs. Then Kemba for Ross and Fournier is hard to gauge. Hard to say who is more useful at this point of their careers. Orlando only does it because of name recognition and getting prospects right away instead of waiting to tank. We also get added flexibility to use the TPE in a S&T (assuming we are sending out Gordon’s expiring ) ... something that will not be possible next year if Kemba is on the team.

It is an interesting trade idea.  Unless Orlando really like Kemba, not sure they would do this.  I wonder if it would be easier to sell if you cut it down to:

Kemba + either Nesmith or Langford (Orlando Picks)

for

Gordon + either Ross or Fournier (again, Orlando Picks)

Either way, what you are doing is trading one top end talent for more depth spread over two players.  It seems like reasonable fair value to me, it just depends on what you think you have in Kemba.  Orlando gets one young player, we get to keep one.

Maybe you revisit this in say 4 weeks.  At that time, Kemba will have more of an established play trend and Gordon will be back from injury.  If Kemba continues to improve over the 4 weeks, maybe Orlando does this.

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2021, 01:58:00 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

The only players that are worth a first are Pritchard and Theis in the right situation.
Teams that would be interested in Pritchard wouldn’t trade their picks because they are most likely rebuilding.
I can see Theis fetching a 2022 protected first rounder from Charlotte or Toronto.
Charlotte are starting to believe in themselves and maybe Danny can take advantage... raptors might be desperate for big Men help and cheap.
Dallas have no picks to trade and Indy - I think that bridge is burned unless Danny makes big concessions or discounts ...

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2021, 02:23:26 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I know this will come as a surprise to many of you but smart is more valuable to this team than he would be to another team.

There are no teams out there saying - if we had smart we'd be over the hump.

On top of that there are no moves out there to improve this team dramatically, we squandered every 3rd piece we had, that trade exception isn't everything.

We have no assets, if we move tatum or brown it'll just be a sideways move.

If I'm wrong tell me how we get better? Waiting for young guys? It's basically our only option at this point. But keep in mind by the time we find out what they actually are tatum and or brown may want out by that time.

Big gamble by danny imo.
Overly dramatic . But yea if the rookie contracts don’t show more than marginal improvement Danny will have to make trades. It’s not a good sign that those young guys can’t get consistent playing time. Even Pritchard has had a rough stretch. Hard to say if it’s a gamble but Danny’s love with draft picks has run its course and people are getting impatient

Lol it's not "overly dramatic", it's reality.

What you said is more fantasy than anything. "If the young guys don't improve danny's going to have to make trades".

Ok, who is he trading? If the young guys don't improve who are we trading? Outside of brown and tatum there are no players here worth anything and we'll get even less back in return.

This is reality, sounds and looks to me this is the start of another rebuild.

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2021, 02:25:28 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

The only players that are worth a first are Pritchard and Theis in the right situation.
Teams that would be interested in Pritchard wouldn’t trade their picks because they are most likely rebuilding.
I can see Theis fetching a 2022 protected first rounder from Charlotte or Toronto.
Charlotte are starting to believe in themselves and maybe Danny can take advantage... raptors might be desperate for big Men help and cheap.
Dallas have no picks to trade and Indy - I think that bridge is burned unless Danny makes big concessions or discounts ...

Pritchard and theis together wouldn't get you a 1st rnd pick.

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2021, 03:09:25 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Aaron Gordon is a decent player.  But if we are going to look for that 3rd star it's better to go for Vucevic.

capwise this trade works:
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yc9pemfj

It hurts to lose Smart but we also get to dump Thompson.  Langford is just a talent sweetner and I'm sure we'd probably have to throw in two reasonably protected 1st round picks as well.  Our 1st round picks are not going to be high with a trio of Tatum, Brown, and Vucevic.  So this should improve our team significantly.

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2021, 03:18:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Going to do one with an initial quite realistic deal (IMO) and then follow it up with something a bit crazy that I wouldn't mind seeing.

Trade 1: https://tradenba.com/trades/hoUEXq--q

Boston sends: Tristan Thompson, Romeo Langford, 2022 2nd

Memphis sends: Jonas Valanciunas

Why for Boston: Significant upgrade at the 5 spot. JV would be what Baynes was here if Baynes was better at everything. Brings that long-missed physicality.

Why for Memphis: Get a young wing prospect to add to their nicely growing youth movement, and get a solid tradeable contract in Thompson for the future.

Trade 2: https://tradenba.com/trades/Cj6eehWAJ

Boston trades: Kemba Walker, Carsen Edwards
Boston receives: Aaron Gordon, Terrence Ross, Avery Bradley, Mo Harkless

Orlando trades: Aaron Gordon, Terrence Ross
Orlando receives: Andre Iguodala, Kendrick Nunn, Precious Achiuwa, Carsen Edwards, 2024 top-8 protected Miami 1st

Miami trades: Andre Iguodala, Kendrick Nunn, Precious Achiuwa, Mo Harkless, Avery Bradley, 2024 top-8 protected Miami 1st
Miami receives: Kemba Walker

Why for Boston: Load up on versatile players capable of filling numerous roles, some who can start in certain lineups and some who know their bench role. Would give us a really deep team.

Why for Orlando: Get some prospects (Achiuwa, Nunn & Edwards) as well as getting a future pick that could well transfer given Miami's age profile. Only hindrance is Iggy's salary, but it's similar to what they would pay Ross anyway.

Why for Miami: They form their big 3 to try and cash in now. Something is clearly not working too well there so far this season, but given how close they were to winning it all last year I could see them wanting to give it a crack now with a core of Bam-Butler-Kemba-Dragic-Herro-Robinson.

That would leave us with:
Marcus Smart - Payton Pritchard - Jeff Teague
Jaylen Brown - Avery Bradley - Javonte Green
Jayson Tatum - Terrence Ross - Aaron Nesmith
Aaron Gordon - Grant Williams - Mo Harkless
Jonas Valanciunas - Daniel Theis - Robert Williams

I would find that team so easy to root for.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2021, 04:17:21 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Dream crusher!

I’m doing my best not to concoct an 11-team, 45-player trade that makes us markedly better and 10 teams significantly worse.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2021, 04:28:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Dream crusher!

I’m doing my best not to concoct an 11-team, 45-player trade that makes us markedly better and 10 teams significantly worse.
But those are so fun!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2021, 05:15:19 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
NBARank, for example, has Smart at 37 and Collins at 84, so there are mixed opinions on this (as there should be since this is a subjective discussion).

Smart + 4 picks for Collins is a haul. Although I highly value elite defense and others may value height and athleticism. I think you get him for Smart + 1 pick for the upside. He'd pair nicely with Trae. I don't think Danny would do it though, but *shrug*.

As for my comment about 20/8 being a dime a dozen, there's also folks like Capela, Sabonis, Randle, Harris, Murray, Harrell, Johnson who are around that mark on top of Vucevic, Valencunias and Drummond. It's just not particularly impressive for a starting big man to get 8 boards a game. You're kind of just there. It's harder to find a Smart than a Collins.

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2021, 05:28:30 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I don't get all of the questioning of Collins' talent level. Needing to sign him to a max contract right away is the only legitimate concern, if the price in a trade is reasonable.

The guy put up 22/11 in his age 22 season, while nearly hitting 60/40/80 splits. He did this on less than 15 FGA. Now look at KAT's 3rd season with the same usage. They are nearly identical.

Yet I see threads questioning whether he's good enough as a 3rd option. If anything he's right there with Brown and Tatum offensively.

A lineup of:
Smart / Brown / Tatum / Collins / RWill
6th: Walker
Depth: PPP, Theis, TT

...Would be a massive upgrade in talent. That's a seriously scary starting lineup. Nobody is going to be able to effectively guard Tatum & Brown with an elite scoring big like Collins out there.

Risky, sure, but a total slam dunk on talent if you give up thing like Nesmith, Langford, and draft picks to get him.

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2021, 05:41:35 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
- Trade Thompson + Edwards to the Bulls for Satoransky.

The C's need more shooting and passing. Satoransky fits the bill. He has a shooting split of 53.6-48.7-89.7 this season while averaging 4.4 assists and only 1.5 t/o per game. He's a high BBIQ combo guard who thrives in the half court. He's also 6'7" which means he'd be a nice fit in our switch-heavy defensive scheme.

- Trade Kemba for Barnes + expiring(s). I bet the Kings would have zero interest in Kemba. Chances are it would have to be a 3-way.

The C's would save $15,732,109 next season, which would help us use the full TPE and still keep our payroll under control.

- Cut Teague, Green and eat their salary.
- Sign Otto Porter via the buyout market.

Depth chart during the regular season
PG: Smart - Pritchard - Ntilikina
SG: Brown - Satoransky - Romeo
SF: Barnes - Porter - Nesmith
PF: Tatum - Semi - Grant
C: Theis - Timelord - Noel

Playoff rotation
PG: Smart (36) - Satoransky (12)
SG: Brown (36) - Satoransky (12)
SF: Barnes (24)- Porter (24)
PF: Tatum (36) - Barnes (12)
C: Theis (24) - Timelord (16) - Noel (8 )

P.S. Alternatively, I'd love us to go after Chris Boucher!

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2021, 08:09:40 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Don't trade Kemba.
Don't trade Thompson.
Don't trade Smart.

If we go for Vucevic, I would want Theis or Timelord involved. Vuc would be the undisputed starter and Thompson is well suited to the back up.

If we go for Grant only trade 1 of Nesmith and Langford not both. If Smart is involved its close to a lateral move.

No interest in trading Kemba. I'm glad he's our point guard and he's back to looking healthy. We will need his scoring in the Brooklyn matchup.

Would be fine if we held pat. The roster if finally starting to gel and we are better than our record. Brown and Tatum are well respected in the league and 1 more playoff run will reveal exactly what this team needs in the offseason.

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2021, 08:33:55 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Houston, OKC and NO, none of which are serious contenders, all have an insanely large collection of picks. If you want picks, you probably need to deal with them. I would think they would all give up one for Pritchard. I'd hate to lose him unless it brought in a quality starter that fit the team's needs and playing style well.