Author Topic: Your Quasi-Realistic Dream Trade Deadline  (Read 15939 times)

Your Quasi-Realistic Dream Trade Deadline
« on: February 17, 2021, 03:24:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If things went close to perfectly, but realistically, what would the trade deadline and buyout season look like?

Trade (stop me if you’ve heard this one before):

In: Collins, Dunn, Redick
Out:  Smart, Timelord, two #1s, two #2s

(NOP gets Snell from ATL and #2s from us)

Buyout:  Otto Porter

Theis / Thompson
Collins / Williams / Semi
Tatum / Porter
Brown / Redick
Kemba / Dunn / Pritchard

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Your Quasi-Realistic Dream Trade Deadline
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 03:37:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Thad Young from Chicago into TPE.  GWill, Edwards (or Teague) and 2 seconds to Chicago.  (a more realistic deal than the one for Collins IMO)

JJ Reddick from NO into TPE.  Teague (or Edwards), Green and 2 seconds to NO.   NO hopefully wants the salary relief. 

C's grab someone who doesn't completely suck out of the buyout market for vet min.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 04:04:22 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Love the title. Mine looks like this:

Trade 1: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yanay7xy

Chicago sends a pick to Toronto in the deal.

Trade 2: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yddqt6ch

Trade 3: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydz9ywnk

Cs send ATL a 2023 1st Rounder (Top 10 Protected) in the deal

Trade 4: Celtics send portion of Hayward TPE and 2021 1st Round Pick to Dallas for Tim Hardaway Jr.

Non Trade: Cs sign Cheik Diallo back from Russia on a multi-year, non-guaranteed contract.

Non Trade: Cs waive Snell to open spot for TBD buyout player

In: Lowry, Collins, Ross, Hardaway Jr., Diallo, Buyout Player (TBD)
Out: Walker, Smart, G Williams, Thompson, Langford, '21 1st Rounder, '23 1st Rounder

Cs match offer sheet to Collins / re-sign Hardaway Jr. over the summer after they win the title. Lowry and Cs likely mutually agree to part ways.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:09:23 PM by todd_days_41 »

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 05:00:15 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Trade 1

Thad Young in Grant Williams, TPE, 1st round pick out.

Celtics get a veteran wing player to come in off the bench, Chicago receives a young player and future asset for their rebuild. Young does not fit in with the Bulls timeline.

Trade 2

Al Horford and George Hill in Kemba, Edwards, Greene  and 1st round pick out.

Celtics get a legitimate Center in Horford who is a better shooter, Passer, and defender than Theis or Thompson. Al Knows Brads system and he would serve as a leader on the court and a glue guy which the Celtics need. There is not a good balance on this team in terms of young players to Vets. Horford may not be a defensive player of the year candidate anymore, but he’s still effective(PER +18), can space the floor and is not a one dimensional player like Kemba is. Horford’s contract is an overpay($27M next year), but it’s still a better deal than Walkers($36M next year).

George Hill would provide the C’s with another veteran player that can shoot the ball well and play both guard positions. Shoots the 3 ball at 38% and is a solid defender. The C’s currently have too many young, inconsistent players. These trades would balance out the roster both offensively and defensively to put the team in a position to win now.

New starting lineup:
Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis, Horford

Reserves:
Pritchard, Hill, Young, Semi, Timelord, Thompson

End of bench: Nesmith, Langford, Teague, Tacko, Waters
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:14:35 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 05:16:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My dream trade deadline would be that all 5 starters from the 2020 ECF are healthy and available to play for the stretch run.

As far as an actual trade ... honestly, I don't know.  It seems like guys like Thad Young and Harrison Barnes might be too hard to get because their teams are making a run at the play-in.  My go-to idea for a bit had been Thad Young and Garrett Temple from Chicago.

As for guys on hopeless teams, is Terrence Ross worth going after?  Evan Fournier?  Larry Nance, assuming he's healthy?

I would happily exchange any number of the following:

Nesmith
Langford
Grant
Javonte
Carsen

For a useful veteran role player locked up for multiple years.

I also think they probably need to trade a center -- any of them -- and get back a guy who can more naturally play the 3/4 and also spend some time as a small ball 5.  It's a problem that all three of the Celts' pure 5s deserve 15-20 minutes a night yet none of them is really good as a full time starter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 05:17:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’ll try and keep it quasi ;)

Trade 1: https://tradenba.com/trades/55oqrlKuF

Boston trades: Kemba Walker, 2021 OKC 1st

Dallas trades: Tim Hardaway, Jalen Brunson, Maxi Kleber

Why for Boston: Get an assortment of role players who can shoot to surround the Jays with.

Why for Dallas: Get the third star next to Luka & KP, have 3&D players like Richardson around them.

Trade 2: https://tradenba.com/trades/npzJOP212

Boston trades: Tristan Thompson, Romeo Langford, Carsen Edwards, 2022 1st, 2024 1st

Orlando trades: Nikola Vucevic

Why for Boston: Consolidate a role player, two prospects and two picks into a genuine All-Star big man who would thrive in our offence.

Why for Orlando: Get some significant money off the books, which they need with Fultz & Isaac’s deals, and get a wing prospect and picks, which they would value highly.

Buyout: Blake Griffin

Why for Boston: Get a veteran with playoff experience who could provide a great post player off the bench. Would complement TimeLord nicely.

Why for Blake: Gets the opportunity to redeem his value on a title contender, rather than going to somewhere like Brooklyn or LA to stand in the corner.

Would leave us with this team:

Payton Pritchard - Jalen Brunson - Jeff Teague
Marcus Smart - Tim Hardaway Jr. - Aaron Nesmith
Jaylen Brown - Semi Ojeleye - Javonte Green
Jayson Tatum - Blake Griffin - Grant Williams
Nikola Vucevic - Robert Williams - Maxi Kleber

Given the propensity for Griffin and Williams to get hurt Kleber would probably get some significant run for a 3rd string big.

That’s my dream, but in reality I’d be ecstatic with just one of these deals. Would definitely consider pursuing Collins instead of Vooch, just unsure what Atlanta would want.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 05:33:02 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

Why for Boston: Get an assortment of role players who can shoot to surround the Jays with.

Why for Dallas: Get the third star next to Luka & KP, have 3&D players like Richardson around them.

Boston trades: Tristan Thompson, Romeo Langford, Carsen Edwards, 2022 1st, 2024 1st

Why for Boston: Consolidate a role player, two prospects and two picks into a genuine All-Star big man who would thrive in our offence.

Why for Orlando: Get some significant money off the books, which they need with Fultz & Isaac’s deals, and get a wing prospect and picks, which they would value highly.

Why for Boston: Get a veteran with playoff experience who could provide a great post player off the bench. Would complement TimeLord nicely.

Why for Blake: Gets the opportunity to redeem his value on a title contender, rather than going to somewhere like Brooklyn or LA to stand in the corner.

Given the propensity for Griffin and Williams to get hurt Kleber would probably get some significant run for a 3rd string big.

That’s my dream, but in reality I’d be ecstatic with just one of these deals. Would definitely consider pursuing Collins instead of Vooch, just unsure what Atlanta would want.

I Would love to get Hardway Jr., but isn’t he an overall better player than Kemba at this point?  Offensively, defensively and he makes significantly less money. I don’t see why Dallas would want to make the deal.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:39:55 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 05:51:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I Would love to get Hardway Jr., but isn’t he an overall better player than Kemba at this point?  Offensively, defensively and he makes significantly less money. I don’t see why Dallas would want to make the deal.
Not really. Hardaway has scored better this year, but Kemba is a much better passer and a better rebounder (somehow). I’d say they’re probably similar levels on defence.

The thing Dallas would be banking on is Kemba returning to All-Star form. I’d say that’s a fair bet to make, given Kemba has really turned it around over his last 3 games and has actually looked like an All-Star again.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 07:42:03 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Luka is 21. KP is 25. Dallas will have $31M in cap space this summer. Why would they trash that flexibility for 2 more years of Kemba playing off the ball if / when he’s healthy? Seems a little far fetched.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 07:54:14 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
Love the title. Mine looks like this:

Trade 1: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yanay7xy

Chicago sends a pick to Toronto in the deal.

Trade 2: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yddqt6ch

Trade 3: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydz9ywnk

Cs send ATL a 2023 1st Rounder (Top 10 Protected) in the deal

Trade 4: Celtics send portion of Hayward TPE and 2021 1st Round Pick to Dallas for Tim Hardaway Jr.

Non Trade: Cs sign Cheik Diallo back from Russia on a multi-year, non-guaranteed contract.

Non Trade: Cs waive Snell to open spot for TBD buyout player

In: Lowry, Collins, Ross, Hardaway Jr., Diallo, Buyout Player (TBD)
Out: Walker, Smart, G Williams, Thompson, Langford, '21 1st Rounder, '23 1st Rounder

Cs match offer sheet to Collins / re-sign Hardaway Jr. over the summer after they win the title. Lowry and Cs likely mutually agree to part ways.

The “quasi-realistic” version of my brilliantly-conceived-yet-slightly-ambitious 4 trade plan removes the first deal, considering Toronto may not wish to part with Lowry — particularly to their division rival.

The result would be keeping Kemba but performing the rest, therefore:

In: Collins, Ross, Hardaway Jr., Diallo, Buyout Player (TBD)
Out: Smart, G Williams, Thompson, Langford, '21 1st Rounder, '23 1st Rounder

The issue is: The Cs would almost certainly need to find a home for Kemba over the summer.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 08:57:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I know his defense isn't great and his offense is more about iso play but give me

Zach LaVine
for
Pritchard, Green, two first (2021, 2023) and a swap first (2024).

Top 9 rotation
Walker, LaVine, Brown, Tatum, Theis
Smart, Semi, TL, TT

Deep bench
PG Edwards
SG Langford
SF Nesmith
Big GW

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 09:19:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

at what point did we get OKC's 1st rounder?  sure, if we can trade picks we don't own, I'd get really creative too.  Boston only has their own first rounders going forward

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 10:41:02 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
In: Horford, George Hill
Out: Teague, TT, Grant Williams, Green or Semi. Or, honestly, take your pick of our bench flotsam jetsam. Plus TPE.

Why OKC does it: They stink. This way they’ll stink more and offload Horford’s contract. Pick up some young rotation guys who could stay or go. TT has a good tradeable contract. Teague might get waived. OKC positions for a strong draft.

Why BOS does it: Horford fills a need today. His contract now is not the contract the Sixers signed him to. Today his contract is 3yrs/$70M ish. He’s a productive big who can pass, shoot and defend. He’s averaging 15/7/3.5 on 39% from 3... his career averages, basically. It’s a big contract but not a god-awful one. His last year is $14.5M guaranteed which means as soon as next season his deal becomes pretty tradeable. If Beal wants out, say, this summer, that’s a decent contract to match with - declines in size almost immediately and then it’s expiring. A Kemba/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Horford starting five with Theis, TL, Pritchard, George Hill, (hopefully) Langford and Nesmith off the bench is a contender in the East. And it’s a team with flexibility again in a year or two, with a good mix of tradeable contracts and young players to go with Tatum/Brown.

Thing is... I don’t think the big fish to pair with Tatum/Brown is really out there for us today. We could pull someone in with that TPE like Vucevic (whom I love).. maybe that gets us to the finals, but i have my doubts.

TP to Kevin O’Connor for talking up a Horford trade in a recent Simmons podcast.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 10:48:57 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
In: Horford, George Hill
Out: Teague, TT, Grant Williams, Green or Semi. Or, honestly, take your pick of our bench flotsam jetsam. Plus TPE.

Why OKC does it: They stink. This way they’ll stink more and offload Horford’s contract. Pick up some young rotation guys who could stay or go. TT has a good tradeable contract. Teague might get waived. OKC positions for a strong draft.

Why BOS does it: Horford fills a need today. His contract now is not the contract the Sixers signed him to. Today his contract is 3yrs/$70M ish. He’s a productive big who can pass, shoot and defend. He’s averaging 15/7/3.5 on 39% from 3... his career averages, basically. It’s a big contract but not a god-awful one. His last year is $14.5M guaranteed which means as soon as next season his deal becomes pretty tradeable. If Beal wants out, say, this summer, that’s a decent contract to match with - declines in size almost immediately and then it’s expiring. A Kemba/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Horford starting five with Theis, TL, Pritchard, George Hill, (hopefully) Langford and Nesmith off the bench is a contender in the East. And it’s a team with flexibility again in a year or two, with a good mix of tradeable contracts and young players to go with Tatum/Brown.

Thing is... I don’t think the big fish to pair with Tatum/Brown is really out there for us today. We could pull someone in with that TPE like Vucevic (whom I love).. maybe that gets us to the finals, but i have my doubts.

TP to Kevin O’Connor for talking up a Horford trade in a recent Simmons podcast.
you pointed all the reason why Horford is not a salary dump. OKC will demand a 1st rd pick or higher upside players like timelord and Nesmith
here is my variation of your trade that might work:
Celtics Out:
- Kemba, Timelord, Langford
Celtics in:
- Horford, Muscala, Hill + $33.4M TPE (kemba's salary)
no picks exchanged hopefully or a second rounder from us to OKC at most

Then follow it up with Rockets:
Celtics Out:
- Thompson, Carsen + Teague + BOS 21 FRP
Celtics in:
- E. Gordon, Cousins + Bucks 22 FRP

We open up an even larger TPE that expires next trade deadline + we roll forward our pick to 2022. next season we will be able to trade 5 FRPs + a TPE enough to absorb almost all contracts out there or a MAX sign and trade contract.
We give it a shot at the playoffs with a rotation of:
EG/MS/JB/JT/AH
reserves:
PP/SO/DT/DC   // MM if needed.
I like this rotation much better than what we have now.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 11:00:25 PM by NKY fan »

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 10:50:33 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

at what point did we get OKC's 1st rounder?  sure, if we can trade picks we don't own, I'd get really creative too.  Boston only has their own first rounders going forward
Gouki is in love with that okc pick. he posted about trading it yesterday too lol