Author Topic: Why is Nesmith glued to the bench?  (Read 18717 times)

Re: Why is Nesmith glued to the bench?
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2021, 07:32:44 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Cause, BRICKS
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2021, 12:32:14 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I can confidently say that Nesmith is better than the following players right now:

Waters
Green
Teague

With that said, why are Green and Teague playing over him in ANY scenario? How can Stevens justify that?

Green is a bonehead on offense and defense and Teague gets destroyed defensively. There's no way that Nesmith is worse than either of these guys.

Langford got meaningful minutes last year because he's pretty good on defense but Langford showed NOTHING on offense. To me it's clear that Stevens absolutely values defense over offense. If that's the case i'm not sure why Ainge drafted offensive players.
Waters and Teague don’t even play the same position. Those guys are guards so that is a moot point. Javonte played early on in the season but has seen pretty limited playing tome recently.

Sometimes it just takes time for rookies to find the floor. JB was basically red shirted his entire rookie season until late season/playoffs. He was a #3 pick. Just because Nesmith was a #14 pick doesn’t mean he deserves playing time. Playing time is earned and if Nesmith wasn’t able to make the sacrifices to do what he could to get on the court, then he shouldn’t have been playing. That being said, as the season progresses, I’m sure we’ll see more of him.

Stevens doesn't play guys based on positions. I've seen him roll out a Grant Williams, Daniel Theis, Tristan Thompson lineup. I've also seen a Pritchard, Edwards, Waters lineup.

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2021, 01:02:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I've stated this numerous times, worth stating once more:

Nesmith has to take it to the cup. He can't live and die  by the 3 point shot. He is athletic enough, has a decent enough handle, to make plays. It puts too much pressure on him to just chuck 3s.

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2021, 04:16:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've stated this numerous times, worth stating once more:

Nesmith has to take it to the cup. He can't live and die  by the 3 point shot. He is athletic enough, has a decent enough handle, to make plays. It puts too much pressure on him to just chuck 3s.
I wonder if this is a directive from coaching, because in the early footage of him here he took it to the cup a few times and even tried to put someone on a poster
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2021, 09:30:04 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Much more impressed with Nesmith tonight. Very good defensive effort.

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2021, 09:35:13 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
He is progressing!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2021, 10:17:25 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Anyone know why this is happening again?

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2021, 10:19:09 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I had to start this up to get the young man on the floor. It worked last time!!!

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2021, 10:19:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Anyone know why this is happening again?

Because we’re winning, I suspect.  Everybody in the NBA has been down on the team.  Building the team’s confidence is more important than developing Nesmith right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2021, 10:22:28 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Really want to see more of the young man's hustle!

« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2021, 10:23:49 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Nesmith will play when he shows he can play in practice etc. I don’t get this fascination with playing young players when everyone gets upset when they lose. Nesmith will get his time to shine at some point. They aren’t going to force feed him minutes. The same way they didn’t force feed Brown etc.

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2021, 10:27:32 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Nesmith will play when he shows he can play in practice etc. I don’t get this fascination with playing young players when everyone gets upset when they lose. Nesmith will get his time to shine at some point. They aren’t going to force feed him minutes. The same way they didn’t force feed Brown etc.

He was getting minutes and playing defense well. Tatum looks gassed and Brad is playing him 40 minutes a game.

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2021, 10:27:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

While true, do we know he’s not performing in practice?  Overall he seems to be in the right spots. 

I’m fine with stabilizing the team and making Nesmith wait, but I do think we should be integrating him by running some screens for him, etc.

I do think that players need to be able to play through mistakes. Look at Rob Williams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2021, 10:29:41 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

It's because everyone wants to see Nesmith play based on their expectation of what they want him to be, not what he really is right now. He's our shiny new toy and people want to see what he can do. His minutes have dropped as Ojeleye and Teague's minutes have gone up. Ojeleye had 28 minutes tonight and was a +11, Teague had 13 mins and was a +6, Pritchard had 23 mins and was a +5. I'm sure he will get opportunities as the form of those other guys ebb and flow over the 2nd half of the season. Brad seems to have a philosophy where he gives players long runs in a game then they might not play at all another game. I'm sure it's to do with sabermetrics and matchups.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2021, 10:34:55 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

It's because everyone wants to see Nesmith play based on their expectation of what they want him to be, not what he really is right now. He's our shiny new toy and people want to see what he can do. His minutes have dropped as Ojeleye and Teague's minutes have gone up. Ojeleye had 28 minutes tonight and was a +11, Teague had 13 mins and was a +6, Pritchard had 23 mins and was a +5. I'm sure he will get opportunities as the form of those other guys ebb and flow over the 2nd half of the season. Brad seems to have a philosophy where he gives players long runs in a game then they might not play at all another game. I'm sure it's to do with sabermetrics and matchups.

I want to see Nesmith play because of the intensity he brings when he's played. Not for what he'll be but for how much defensive intensity he brings.  He also pulls players out of the paint and he also rebounds well. That shot will fall but he should be getting some minutes so Tatum, who looks gassed, can get 6-7 minutes of rest.