Author Topic: Why is Nesmith glued to the bench?  (Read 18618 times)

Re: Why is Nesmith glued to the bench?
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2021, 12:28:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nesmith still has no clue what he's doing out there (other than when Brad calls a play for him, he seems very comfortable in those limited situations). But he's hustling and engaged and finding a way to contribute where he can, which I see as a sign that he will eventually get it.

Hopefully, this level will come to him like its been happening with Timelord this season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2021, 12:42:39 PM »

Online Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Either he's going to be part of a package and don't want him hurt, or they are hiding him so teams don't want him as part of a trade. 😆

« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2021, 03:07:08 PM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Why is he glued to the bench?  Because right now he simply isn't ready.  Running around like you head is on fire isn't great defense like many want to say. 

As for the future, kid better find a way to defend at this level.  At this moment he's the wing version of kanter.  Doesn't have the feet or reaction to stay with guys.  That should be a significant concern moving forward.

« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2021, 03:20:04 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Why is he glued to the bench?  Because right now he simply isn't ready.  Running around like you head is on fire isn't great defense like many want to say. 

As for the future, kid better find a way to defend at this level.  At this moment he's the wing version of kanter.  Doesn't have the feet or reaction to stay with guys.  That should be a significant concern moving forward.

I think you are generally right though maybe a little harsh.  Defensively he hasn't been good but he has made hustle plays that aren't out of control as your 'head is on fire' metaphor would imply.  I was glad he got some run and hope he'll get more as the year moves on.    But your fundamental point being that he's not ready (not good enough) yet to break into this rotation sounds accurate to me -- and is really the only logical answer to the thread's question.

« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2021, 03:57:24 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I have noticed that with the end of bench players, Brad tends to have players in bursts for small periods, which could be to get a taste of what they're capable of. So instead of spreading out these players to play 5-10 minutes per game with DNP, he gets them to play 15-20 minutes for 2-3 games followed by DNP for a series. This could be to insert some energy and not burn out everyone at the same time.

I have noticed that there have been points where Teague was playing a good chunck, then Green, Grant Williams, even Edwards. They usually play during those times but as soon as they fade, he goes with the next player. I am thinking that when defense starts to figure them out, he gets them out of rotation.

I could be wrong but it does seem to help players develop without overwhelming them. I am hoping that by playoff time, he knows exactly who he wants to play and won't keep this up but this strategy could help these players get NBA experience.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2021, 03:57:52 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Either he's going to be part of a package and don't want him hurt, or they are hiding him so teams don't want him as part of a trade. 😆

I love this answer.  It's perfect.  TP
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2021, 03:59:20 PM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas

I think you are generally right though maybe a little harsh.  Defensively he hasn't been good but he has made hustle plays that aren't out of control as your 'head is on fire' metaphor would imply.  I was glad he got some run and hope he'll get more as the year moves on.    But your fundamental point being that he's not ready (not good enough) yet to break into this rotation sounds accurate to me -- and is really the only logical answer to the thread's question.
Regarding the hustle, I find myself laughing a lot of the time as he’s running around out there.  Reminds me of kids at lower levels that get in the game for the first time.  I mean, it’s better than being lazy but the real question is, is he going to be Marcus smart or lebron chasing guys down?  What is he at his core?  I don’t think he’s that kind of player.

In the long run, we’ll see.  He doesn’t seem to project to be much more than a shooter, though he has shown a willingness and decent ability to attack close outs.  But he isn’t running a team or a playmaker even at his best.

It’s a shame he didn’t play more now that kemba is getting more comfortable.  His biggest issue on offense is that he played with guys that couldn’t find him or even get him open.  The only other way to get him open is to run sets for him, and you’re clearly not going to that now, at least not too often.

« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2021, 04:19:42 PM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
I have noticed that with the end of bench players, Brad tends to have players in bursts for small periods, which could be to get a taste of what they're capable of. So instead of spreading out these players to play 5-10 minutes per game with DNP, he gets them to play 15-20 minutes for 2-3 games followed by DNP for a series. This could be to insert some energy and not burn out everyone at the same time.

I have noticed that there have been points where Teague was playing a good chunck, then Green, Grant Williams, even Edwards. They usually play during those times but as soon as they fade, he goes with the next player. I am thinking that when defense starts to figure them out, he gets them out of rotation.

I could be wrong but it does seem to help players develop without overwhelming them. I am hoping that by playoff time, he knows exactly who he wants to play and won't keep this up but this strategy could help these players get NBA experience.
I think you're right, and he is actually searching for that next guy to step up. 

« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2021, 02:22:55 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
he is young and the game is still too fast for him. I think with time he will become a solid contributer for this team. The kid can shoot, and you cant teach that.

It just his time may not be until next year.

« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2021, 03:19:53 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
he is young and the game is still too fast for him. I think with time he will become a solid contributer for this team. The kid can shoot, and you cant teach that.

Which begs the question - instead of drafting someone why not trade those draft picks and get something we can use now instead of 3-4 yrs. from now.

Sorry I just can't let this go, this was such a blunder of a season by danny it's laughable he still has a job.

Now if he somehow digs himself out from this debris and gets useful players this season without giving up smart, williams, tatum or brown I will feel much better.

But if he has to move any one of those guys to make a move it's a complete failure. Sorry but it is, the point is to add to the good players and flip the crap on this team into something we can at least put on the court.

« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2021, 03:34:17 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364

Which begs the question - instead of drafting someone why not trade those draft picks and get something we can use now instead of 3-4 yrs. from now.

Sorry I just can't let this go, this was such a blunder of a season by danny it's laughable he still has a job.

Now if he somehow digs himself out from this debris and gets useful players this season without giving up smart, williams, tatum or brown I will feel much better.

But if he has to move any one of those guys to make a move it's a complete failure. Sorry but it is, the point is to add to the good players and flip the crap on this team into something we can at least put on the court.

I said this last offseason as well. I though there is no way danny hoards all these 1st rounders, we have too many young players as it is. We are ready to win now.

Instead, danny did just that. Kept the picks and picked up another guy in Nesmith. We already have romeo langford we have no idea what he is or what he will do.

It's unprecedented to win with such a young team, and we are seeing that play out right now as it is full of a bunch of young guys learning. And some these guys like grant williams are never going to be more than JAGs

I would've liked danny to cash in on some of those 1st rounders to bring in guys who can win now.

Danny has never moved past fleecing the wolves for KG and Fleecing the Nets for tatum and brown. He thinks you have to win every trade because he won those two others handily. And it's part of why we got nothing for hayward. If we get nothing with the TPE it will be another failure