Author Topic: Kemba’s got to go...  (Read 47341 times)

Re: Kemba’s got to go...
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2021, 10:05:33 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1483
Threads like this almost certainly don't start if Kemba makes his patented little 15 foot step back.

The Celts are 1-5 since Walker returned.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2021, 10:09:36 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Threads like this almost certainly don't start if Kemba makes his patented little 15 foot step back.
They don’t. Just like they also don’t acknowledge that Kemba actually made the defensive stop as well.  Just like they will
Likely dwindle in a few weeks when Kemba starts averaging like 17 a game and the Cs rip off a few wins in a row.

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2021, 10:17:43 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432

The Celts are 1-5 since Walker returned.
ouch..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2021, 10:28:00 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
me thinks that too...

he is a scoring first, dribble out the air out of the ball type pg and we have two better scorers and shot creators and makers at this point.

he can still be an all star caliber type off a player, but not with the celtics.

Kemba for Vucevic or Aldrige would do wonders for both teams and both players included
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2021, 10:35:30 AM »

Offline Damiano Brancopreto

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • Fight!Fight!Fight!
me thinks that too...

he is a scoring first, dribble out the air out of the ball type pg and we have two better scorers and shot creators and makers at this point.

he can still be an all star caliber type off a player, but not with the celtics.

Kemba for Vucevic or Aldrige would do wonders for both teams and both players included
to be an all star with his body he should be a Detroit Pistons Isiah Thomas, which he is not
By the way, We have an issue in the final seconds as we lost a bunch of games this way this season...

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2021, 10:46:01 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

So, so true. If that shot goes in this story is completely different.

Don’t forget it was Kemba’s defensive play that almost got a breakaway game winner for Brown, had it not been for Caruso’s hustle.

If the shot goes in he's still 2-12. That's still bad. Remember, he doesn't even have to break the defense any more. We have two wings torching the defense and drawing double teams. Smart players can just take advantage of that to get good shots. This should be easier, not harder.

Kemba has displayed a lack of poise at end of games as a Celtic. It isn't just one or two instances.

Yes, he stole the ball on the double team last night at the end. But then he promptly did everything possible to screw it up.

If he could have just gotten the ball clean to Brown, we would be probably celebrating a victory, because Jaylen is unstoppable in those situations. Instead, he fumbled the ball, then made a terrible pass. If it was anyone else but Jaylen, Caruso would have gotten the ball back for the Lakers, a worse outcome than no steal at all. Jaylen made a great play to retain possession.

Again, Kemba gets the ball with 5 seconds, and instead of looking for a wide open Jaylen or even Semi, he goes left and tries to win it himself. He got a good shot, but it wasn't that close anyway.

I don't mind that he had a bad night. I mind that he isn't maintaining his poise, and he isn't letting Tatum and Brown get enough of these end of game opportunities. He is not adjusting, and he is not helping with end of game situations. Remember, he got stripped clean at half court with 20 seconds left against San Antonio too. He looks like a rookie out there.

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2021, 10:58:57 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
The sad part is even if we want to move kemba no one would want him.

What value does this guy we were waiting to see come back from injury hold?

If I'm an opposing team I'm like "durr wait a minute". That's before you even get to the fact that he's a one sided player.

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2021, 10:59:22 AM »

Offline Damiano Brancopreto

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • Fight!Fight!Fight!

So, so true. If that shot goes in this story is completely different.

Don’t forget it was Kemba’s defensive play that almost got a breakaway game winner for Brown, had it not been for Caruso’s hustle.
Totally agree: one bad decision after another in the last possession...

If the shot goes in he's still 2-12. That's still bad. Remember, he doesn't even have to break the defense any more. We have two wings torching the defense and drawing double teams. Smart players can just take advantage of that to get good shots. This should be easier, not harder.

Kemba has displayed a lack of poise at end of games as a Celtic. It isn't just one or two instances.

Yes, he stole the ball on the double team last night at the end. But then he promptly did everything possible to screw it up.

If he could have just gotten the ball clean to Brown, we would be probably celebrating a victory, because Jaylen is unstoppable in those situations. Instead, he fumbled the ball, then made a terrible pass. If it was anyone else but Jaylen, Caruso would have gotten the ball back for the Lakers, a worse outcome than no steal at all. Jaylen made a great play to retain possession.

Again, Kemba gets the ball with 5 seconds, and instead of looking for a wide open Jaylen or even Semi, he goes left and tries to win it himself. He got a good shot, but it wasn't that close anyway.

I don't mind that he had a bad night. I mind that he isn't maintaining his poise, and he isn't letting Tatum and Brown get enough of these end of game opportunities. He is not adjusting, and he is not helping with end of game situations. Remember, he got stripped clean at half court with 20 seconds left against San Antonio too. He looks like a rookie out there.

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2021, 11:03:35 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1483

If I'm an opposing team I'm like "durr wait a minute". That's before you even get to the fact that he's a one sided player.

You would have to attach picks with him. Flipping Kemba plus a 1st rounder to OKC for Horford would be ideal. At least Al is a multidimensional player who can shoot, rebound, and pass. Kemba can only do one of those things, and right now he’s not even shooting well. C’s Could really use the help at the PF/C position.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2021, 11:06:53 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

We don't need to move him. We need him to score 15 ppg. He just needs to adjust to reality. More ball movement. More spacing. Less end of game fumbles. More playing off the talents of Tatum and Brown.

Walker and Smart will decide whether this team competes for a title or not. If they adjust, we have a shot at a title. If Smart and Walker continue to play exactly like they have so far, we do not have a shot.

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2021, 11:30:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
I'm rooting for Kemba to return to better days.  If his knee is not bothering him, I see no reason that he can't adjust and make a valuable contribution.  He actually made a great play on the steal of Davis at end of the game; just couldn't get the shot to drop. He's made far more of those in that situation than missed in his career. He may eventually have to adjust to coming off the bench and being a microwave scorer, just don't know if Brad has the will to do that. Not this season anyway.

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2021, 11:51:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kemba fits great with the Jays. He fit great with them last night. He took no shots away from them. He took less shots than they did  He played within the offense. He had 6 rebounds, 4 assists, held the guys he was guarding in check. And he created the late turnover that allowed the Celtics an opportunity to win the game.

He simply was cold. If he goes 6-12, Celtics win big and this thread doesn't exist. If he makes that last second shot, Celtics win and this thread doesn't exist.

This is a reaction to a loss, pure and simple. If you pay attention while watching the game, you see Kemba played well, within the system and had chemistry with the Jays while not taking shots away from them. He simply was cold shooting the ball. That's it.

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2021, 11:57:31 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 548
To anyone here who's actually played the sport at a level beyond your back yard, ever try to play a game - especially a high level competitive game - when you don't have your legs? You can't do much especially when your legs are so important to your ability to make shots. Kemba will be fine.

Especially for him where he's expected to contribute so much of the offense because our bench sucks, games like last night are a necessary step in getting your wind and timing back. Unfortunately the ball found it's way to him with the game on the line and he missed a shot he normally makes.

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Kemba fits great with the Jays. He fit great with them last night. He took no shots away from them. He took less shots than they did  He played within the offense. He had 6 rebounds, 4 assists, held the guys he was guarding in check. And he created the late turnover that allowed the Celtics an opportunity to win the game.

He simply was cold. If he goes 6-12, Celtics win big and this thread doesn't exist. If he makes that last second shot, Celtics win and this thread doesn't exist.

This is a reaction to a loss, pure and simple. If you pay attention while watching the game, you see Kemba played well, within the system and had chemistry with the Jays while not taking shots away from them. He simply was cold shooting the ball. That's it.
i think this is generally correct, but I also don't think Kemba is good enough to elevate Boston to true contender status in the near term and is too old to be counted on when the J's hit full potential, so in theory I wouldn't be opposed to moving on from Kemba for a future oriented move.  I don't think Boston moves on from Kemba until at least the offseason (if at all), but I'd at least listen to offers for him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2021, 12:06:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

i think this is generally correct, but I also don't think Kemba is good enough to elevate Boston to true contender status in the near term and is too old to be counted on when the J's hit full potential, so in theory I wouldn't be opposed to moving on from Kemba for a future oriented move.  I don't think Boston moves on from Kemba until at least the offseason (if at all), but I'd at least listen to offers for him.
I have no issue trading Kemba, but I would want a better player coming back that fits with the Jays. Way, way, way too many of the proposed trades on this blog that include Kemba have him undervalued or the trades aren't realistic.