Author Topic: Kemba’s got to go...  (Read 46862 times)

Re: Kemba’s got to go...
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2021, 02:29:04 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Kemba fits great with the Jays. He fit great with them last night. He took no shots away from them. He took less shots than they did  He played within the offense. He had 6 rebounds, 4 assists, held the guys he was guarding in check. And he created the late turnover that allowed the Celtics an opportunity to win the game.

He simply was cold. If he goes 6-12, Celtics win big and this thread doesn't exist. If he makes that last second shot, Celtics win and this thread doesn't exist.

This is a reaction to a loss, pure and simple. If you pay attention while watching the game, you see Kemba played well, within the system and had chemistry with the Jays while not taking shots away from them. He simply was cold shooting the ball. That's it.

If he is a great fit, why are the C’s 1-5 since his return? Shoulda,coulda, woulda doesn’t matter.  The Celtics are a better team with Pritchard and Smart at PG/SG both offensively and defensively.

As some here have suggested, Using Kemba as a spark off the bench may be the best option, unless they are able to trade him.
Kemba is the only reason the Cs are 1-5 in the last 6 games.

It’s not because Tatum was out with Covid for most of those. It’s not because Cs have played some really good teams short handed. It’s not because the team is still learning to find their identity this season. It’s solely because Kemba hasn’t hit the ground running after coming off an injury/rehab with no preseason and no practice time. No other reason at all.

SMH.

Kemba has replaced Brad as the whipping boy momentarily.
No kidding. It’s just so frustrating that if people can’t get instant gratification than all of a sudden it’s a guy returning from injury fault. No one seemed to make a peep for the majority of last year when Kemba was carrying the majority of the offense successfully as JT/JB figured it out.

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2021, 02:42:07 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
Didn't Kemba just say he will change his game to follow Brown and Tatum? Sounds like a good move, give him some time.

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2021, 03:41:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Kemba fits great with the Jays. He fit great with them last night. He took no shots away from them. He took less shots than they did  He played within the offense. He had 6 rebounds, 4 assists, held the guys he was guarding in check. And he created the late turnover that allowed the Celtics an opportunity to win the game.

He simply was cold. If he goes 6-12, Celtics win big and this thread doesn't exist. If he makes that last second shot, Celtics win and this thread doesn't exist.

This is a reaction to a loss, pure and simple. If you pay attention while watching the game, you see Kemba played well, within the system and had chemistry with the Jays while not taking shots away from them. He simply was cold shooting the ball. That's it.

You are right the thread probably does not exist if Kemba makes the game winning shot, but it should.

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2021, 03:43:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I agree.

He's got to go... back to the Auerbach Center and take 100+ shots to improve his shooting

:P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2021, 04:07:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

i think this is generally correct, but I also don't think Kemba is good enough to elevate Boston to true contender status in the near term and is too old to be counted on when the J's hit full potential, so in theory I wouldn't be opposed to moving on from Kemba for a future oriented move.  I don't think Boston moves on from Kemba until at least the offseason (if at all), but I'd at least listen to offers for him.
I have no issue trading Kemba, but I would want a better player coming back that fits with the Jays. Way, way, way too many of the proposed trades on this blog that include Kemba have him undervalued or the trades aren't realistic.
expecting someone better than Kemba isn't realistic at all.  He makes a ton of money, is in his 30's, and has a big injury history.  I'm not saying you would dump him for some future picks, but you aren't getting someone better (though could get a young guy that could someday be very good).  And I'd be ok with that.  Like if Kemba was moved in a John Collins trade, I'd be ok with that.  Collins isn't as good as Walker, but I think he would be a great fit in the future with the J's.  I don't think the Hawks would have any interest in Walker so he'd have to go somewhere else in the trade, but that is the type of trade I'd be at least considering if I'm Ainge.  Something like Kemba, Green/Edwards to NY, Randle, Ojeleye to Atl, and Collins, Snell, and Ntilikina to Bos.  Maybe some draft picks, cash, or other young guys move around.  Like that is a trade I think makes sense on some level for all 3 teams.
Oh, I don't know about that. Could Kemba, Romeo and every draft pick and swap for the next sevens years get Beal?
I think I'd rather have Collins than Beal from a go forward team building perspective especially if you are talking about 7 draft picks.  And even if that trade is possible, it is the draft picks not Kemba that is yielding Beal.  You could basically have any salary in that trade to make Washington do it, so I don't consider that really trading Kemba for a better player.  It is using Kemba's salary and a boat load of draft picks to get a better player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2021, 04:09:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

i think this is generally correct, but I also don't think Kemba is good enough to elevate Boston to true contender status in the near term and is too old to be counted on when the J's hit full potential, so in theory I wouldn't be opposed to moving on from Kemba for a future oriented move.  I don't think Boston moves on from Kemba until at least the offseason (if at all), but I'd at least listen to offers for him.
I have no issue trading Kemba, but I would want a better player coming back that fits with the Jays. Way, way, way too many of the proposed trades on this blog that include Kemba have him undervalued or the trades aren't realistic.
expecting someone better than Kemba isn't realistic at all.  He makes a ton of money, is in his 30's, and has a big injury history.  I'm not saying you would dump him for some future picks, but you aren't getting someone better (though could get a young guy that could someday be very good).  And I'd be ok with that.  Like if Kemba was moved in a John Collins trade, I'd be ok with that.  Collins isn't as good as Walker, but I think he would be a great fit in the future with the J's.  I don't think the Hawks would have any interest in Walker so he'd have to go somewhere else in the trade, but that is the type of trade I'd be at least considering if I'm Ainge.  Something like Kemba, Green/Edwards to NY, Randle, Ojeleye to Atl, and Collins, Snell, and Ntilikina to Bos.  Maybe some draft picks, cash, or other young guys move around.  Like that is a trade I think makes sense on some level for all 3 teams.
Your trade makes a tiny bit of sense but then we have to overpay Collins . Are you ready to pay him more than what Jaylen makes ?
I would have no problem paying Collins a big contract.  He is a 20/10 PF that would compliment Tatum and Brown well.  You have those 3 for the next decade and Boston is a realistic long term contender barring injury.

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2021, 04:10:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Oh, I don't know about that. Could Kemba, Romeo and every draft pick and swap for the next sevens years get Beal?
I think I'd rather have Collins than Beal from a go forward team building perspective especially if you are talking about 7 draft picks.  And even if that trade is possible, it is the draft picks not Kemba that is yielding Beal.  You could basically have any salary in that trade to make Washington do it, so I don't consider that really trading Kemba for a better player.  It is using Kemba's salary and a boat load of draft picks to get a better player.
Semantics. It's the same thing.

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2021, 04:26:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If you want to get Collins, expect at a minimum to give up Smart and first round pick(s).

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2021, 04:31:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's like clockwork.

A guy misses a late game shot in an important spot.

Next day:

THIS GUY HAS GOT TO GO! I HATE WATCHING HIM!  TRADE HIM FOR A BAG OF BALLS!

I feel like it's worse this year, somehow.  It's like the fanbase collectively feels like the team NEEDS to be super good this year and if anything goes wrong it's A DISASTER and the Celtics are DOOMED.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It's like clockwork.

Next day:

I feel like it's worse this year, somehow.  It's like the fanbase collectively feels like the team NEEDS to be super good this year and if anything goes wrong it's A DISASTER and the Celtics are DOOMED.

So what is your expectations?

Reach the ecf or earlier and get elimated again?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 05:39:32 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2021, 05:43:00 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I like Kemba but he can sometimes frustrate me.

It’s like he doesn’t realize how small he is when he drives to the basket to get swallowed by the bigs.

....I rather him pull up for a short 15 footer than drive all the way in and get blocked - which happens too often.

Isiah had a gift to finish around the basket; Kemba is not gifted like that.

« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2021, 05:55:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's like clockwork.

Next day:

They're a second tier contender. The talent level on the team didn't really change from last year. So my expectation is they could maybe beat anybody in a series, with some luck, but they're probably not gonna win 4 in a row.  Same as last year, more or less.

Sports are too random to anchor soooooo much of your appreciation on the specific outcome you get.

That said, I do want to see signs of improvement.

We'll see what happens .

I do think this season has provided more bummer moments so far than exciting ones. A lot of that has been outside of anybody's control, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2021, 06:04:59 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
It's like clockwork.

Next day:

They're a second tier contender. The talent level on the team didn't really change from last year. So my expectation is they could maybe beat anybody in a series, with some luck, but they're probably not gonna win 4 in a row.  Same as last year, more or less.

Sports are too random to anchor soooooo much of your appreciation on the specific outcome you get.

We'll see what happens .

I do think this season has provided more bummer moments so far than exciting ones. A lot of that has been outside of anybody's control, though.

The bolded part is a more realistic assessment on this team than a lot of people who said we're more talented than last year.

Brown has made a huge leap (which is huge for our future) and Robert Williams has become a lot better. But we lost Hayward and our free agent signings Teague and Thompson are downgrades in comparison to Wanamaker and Kanter.
I didn't understand the enthusiasm for these guys and it looks like I've been right.

We'll probably finish somewhere 4-6. Playoffs are unpredictable as with two genuine stars you can make a deep run again, but the Nets will be really tough to beat and we don't match up well with the Bucks or the 76ers.

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2021, 07:18:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Semantics. It's the same thing.
It isn't semantics or the same thing as Kemba is irrelevant in that trade. In fact you could argue including Smart instead of Walker reduces the amount of draft picks it would take to get done.

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2021, 09:30:27 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
It's like clockwork.

Next day:

We'll see what happens .

The bolded part is a more realistic assessment on this team than a lot of people who said we're more talented than last year.

Brown has made a huge leap (which is huge for our future) and Robert Williams has become a lot better. But we lost Hayward and our free agent signings Teague and Thompson are downgrades in comparison to Wanamaker and Kanter.

Realism equals negative now? Anyway on paper Thompson is better than Kanter and while Teague hasn't panned out Pritchard has shown to be at least an upgrade to Wannamaker. Brown has definitely exploded which is huge this year and the team was playing a lot better until COVID hit.