Author Topic: Kemba’s got to go...  (Read 46599 times)

Re: Kemba’s got to go...
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2021, 12:11:29 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Kemba fits great with the Jays. He fit great with them last night. He took no shots away from them. He took less shots than they did  He played within the offense. He had 6 rebounds, 4 assists, held the guys he was guarding in check. And he created the late turnover that allowed the Celtics an opportunity to win the game.

He simply was cold. If he goes 6-12, Celtics win big and this thread doesn't exist. If he makes that last second shot, Celtics win and this thread doesn't exist.

This is a reaction to a loss, pure and simple. If you pay attention while watching the game, you see Kemba played well, within the system and had chemistry with the Jays while not taking shots away from them. He simply was cold shooting the ball. That's it.

If he is a great fit, why are the C’s 1-5 since his return? Shoulda,coulda, woulda doesn’t matter.  The Celtics are a better team with Pritchard and Smart at PG/SG both offensively and defensively.

As some here have suggested, Using Kemba as a spark off the bench may be the best option, unless they are able to trade him.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2021, 12:21:18 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Getting a better player is not realistic given the contract that he has.  Unless you count Chris Paul or John Wall as better players. Those two can be debated other than that I just don’t see a better player coming in exchange for Kemba.

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2021, 12:27:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kemba fits great with the Jays. He fit great with them last night. He took no shots away from them. He took less shots than they did  He played within the offense. He had 6 rebounds, 4 assists, held the guys he was guarding in check. And he created the late turnover that allowed the Celtics an opportunity to win the game.

He simply was cold. If he goes 6-12, Celtics win big and this thread doesn't exist. If he makes that last second shot, Celtics win and this thread doesn't exist.

This is a reaction to a loss, pure and simple. If you pay attention while watching the game, you see Kemba played well, within the system and had chemistry with the Jays while not taking shots away from them. He simply was cold shooting the ball. That's it.
i think this is generally correct, but I also don't think Kemba is good enough to elevate Boston to true contender status in the near term and is too old to be counted on when the J's hit full potential, so in theory I wouldn't be opposed to moving on from Kemba for a future oriented move.  I don't think Boston moves on from Kemba until at least the offseason (if at all), but I'd at least listen to offers for him.
I have no issue trading Kemba, but I would want a better player coming back that fits with the Jays. Way, way, way too many of the proposed trades on this blog that include Kemba have him undervalued or the trades aren't realistic.
expecting someone better than Kemba isn't realistic at all.  He makes a ton of money, is in his 30's, and has a big injury history.  I'm not saying you would dump him for some future picks, but you aren't getting someone better (though could get a young guy that could someday be very good).  And I'd be ok with that.  Like if Kemba was moved in a John Collins trade, I'd be ok with that.  Collins isn't as good as Walker, but I think he would be a great fit in the future with the J's.  I don't think the Hawks would have any interest in Walker so he'd have to go somewhere else in the trade, but that is the type of trade I'd be at least considering if I'm Ainge.  Something like Kemba, Green/Edwards to NY, Randle, Ojeleye to Atl, and Collins, Snell, and Ntilikina to Bos.  Maybe some draft picks, cash, or other young guys move around.  Like that is a trade I think makes sense on some level for all 3 teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2021, 12:29:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

If he is a great fit, why are the C’s 1-5 since his return? Shoulda,coulda, woulda doesn’t matter.  The Celtics are a better team with Pritchard and Smart at PG/SG both offensively and defensively.

As some here have suggested, Using Kemba as a spark off the bench may be the best option, unless they are able to trade him.
The Celtics are 1-5 since he returned because Tatum missed 4 of those games, they played three of those games against two of the best teams in the league and because Kemba has shot terribly in four of those losses and had some uncharacteristic turnovers.

On a per minute basis, his rebounding, passing and steals has been as high as they have ever been in his career. He's just been ice cold shooting from distance. And that's probably because he doesn't have his legs under him yet.

Kemba will be fine once all is said and done. Also, regarding coming off the bench, he already plays a ton of minutes as the #1 or #2 option with non-starter units. You don't have to come off the bench to play against/with bench units. A good rotation takes care of that and Stevens is already doing it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 12:38:28 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2021, 12:29:52 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

i think this is generally correct, but I also don't think Kemba is good enough to elevate Boston to true contender status in the near term and is too old to be counted on when the J's hit full potential, so in theory I wouldn't be opposed to moving on from Kemba for a future oriented move.  I don't think Boston moves on from Kemba until at least the offseason (if at all), but I'd at least listen to offers for him.
I have no issue trading Kemba, but I would want a better player coming back that fits with the Jays. Way, way, way too many of the proposed trades on this blog that include Kemba have him undervalued or the trades aren't realistic.
expecting someone better than Kemba isn't realistic at all.  He makes a ton of money, is in his 30's, and has a big injury history.  I'm not saying you would dump him for some future picks, but you aren't getting someone better (though could get a young guy that could someday be very good).  And I'd be ok with that.  Like if Kemba was moved in a John Collins trade, I'd be ok with that.  Collins isn't as good as Walker, but I think he would be a great fit in the future with the J's.  I don't think the Hawks would have any interest in Walker so he'd have to go somewhere else in the trade, but that is the type of trade I'd be at least considering if I'm Ainge.  Something like Kemba, Green/Edwards to NY, Randle, Ojeleye to Atl, and Collins, Snell, and Ntilikina to Bos.  Maybe some draft picks, cash, or other young guys move around.  Like that is a trade I think makes sense on some level for all 3 teams.
Your trade makes a tiny bit of sense but then we have to overpay Collins . Are you ready to pay him more than what Jaylen makes ?

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2021, 12:33:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Your trade makes a tiny bit of sense but then we have to overpay Collins . Are you ready to pay him more than what Jaylen makes ?
Brown has incentives built into his contract that are attainable and would make his contract about on the same level Collins will get next year.

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2021, 12:37:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Oh, I don't know about that. Could Kemba, Romeo and every draft pick and swap for the next sevens years get Beal?

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2021, 12:40:06 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Oh, I don't know about that. Could Kemba, Romeo and every draft pick and swap for the next sevens years get Beal?
If Beal says that Celtics are his top choice that might be enough. Then again fit would be problematic if he takes the ball away from the Js.

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2021, 01:16:33 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Kemba is the only reason the Cs are 1-5 in the last 6 games.

It’s not because Tatum was out with Covid for most of those. It’s not because Cs have played some really good teams short handed. It’s not because the team is still learning to find their identity this season. It’s solely because Kemba hasn’t hit the ground running after coming off an injury/rehab with no preseason and no practice time. No other reason at all.

SMH.

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2021, 01:25:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It’s not because Tatum was out with Covid for most of those. It’s not because Cs have played some really good teams short handed. It’s not because the team is still learning to find their identity this season. It’s solely because Kemba hasn’t hit the ground running after coming off an injury/rehab with no preseason and no practice time. No other reason at all.

SMH.

Kemba has replaced Brad as the whipping boy momentarily.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2021, 01:26:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

SMH.

Well, its certainly unsettling that by losing Tatum for those games and adding Kemba, The C’s winning percentage has since been similar to the Washington Wizards. Many teams are trying to find their identity and all teams have to deal issues caused by Covid. Hopefully he gets his shot back, but he’s still going to be a below average defender and rebounder and an average passer. A $34m/year version of Lou Williams.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2021, 01:38:05 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I'm just tired of seeing DA overpaying players who ride the bench for most of their careers in Boston and only contribute 10% of the time.

It's time to go.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2021, 01:39:59 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
When your stars are at the Swing and Wing positions you don’t need a volume scoring PG. We need a guy like SGA.

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2021, 01:54:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm just tired of seeing DA overpaying players who ride the bench for most of their careers in Boston and only contribute 10% of the time.

It's time to go.

Do you believe that that is a fair assessment of Kemba?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2021, 02:06:57 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I like Kemba a lot, but if we could get Horford and Georde Hill for him sign me up. Might need a third team as OKC is rebuilding. If Ainge were interested then this deal could get done.