Author Topic: Kemba’s got to go...  (Read 46595 times)

Re: Kemba’s got to go...
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2021, 12:00:42 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Do you want the Celtics to have even less guards now that Smart is gone? Seriously what is this blog's obsession with trading Kemba? The guy has shown nothing but love but yet he is usually the first to go. Who is a better third option than Kemba right now anyway?

It has nothing to do with him personally, he’s just not a good fit on this team. Smart has a calf strain, I’m not sure what you mean by “gone”. Maybe for a few games, but it doesn’t sound too serious. Pritchard will be back soon. Smart, Pritchard, Teague is enough depth at the PG position.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2021, 12:05:33 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Given how both Brown and Tatum are score first iso heavy players we need a 3 and d wing, a solid sized rim protector given how our future competitors all have cornerstone bigs (Bam, Embiid, Giannis, Davis) and I think we need a pass first switchable defender for a point guard.

It’s a shame we couldn’t move up for Haliburton (reports Ainge tried to trade up) as long term he would have been perfect playing off Brown and Tatum.

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 12:12:16 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Given how both Brown and Tatum are score first iso heavy players we need a 3 and d wing, a solid sized rim protector given how our future competitors all have cornerstone bigs (Bam, Embiid, Giannis, Davis) and I think we need a pass first switchable defender for a point guard.

It’s a shame we couldn’t move up for Haliburton (reports Ainge tried to trade up) as long term he would have been perfect playing off Brown and Tatum.

Pritchard very well could be the PG of the future. He’s a pure pass first PG and it’s refreshing to watch. Even this year, Smart and Pritchard are enough at that position. Need to bring on one more shooter at the SG/SF position and definitely another Big.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2021, 12:13:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Kemba would have been a very good fit with Hayward and Horford still on the team. But we no longer have them and not having playmaker really hurts our team as whole. I suggest moving Kemba to bench to balance the scoring production. He already botched crucial plays in the last 2 games.

There is already such a thread where I proposed this idea. But got an earful from some of the Kemba faithfuls

I agree. It would be the better option/strategy

Egos must be put to bed

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2021, 12:14:36 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
To look forward I think you have to look backwards, the last team to win a championship with a pair of elite wings was the Bulls Dynasty.

They had Ron Harper who was a lock down defensive/switchable guard and then Steve Kerr who was a 3 and D role player.

Rodman was their defensive role stopper and Longley was to fight against seven footers.

This should be Ainge’s future blueprint, but easier said then done

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2021, 12:32:56 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
To look forward I think you have to look backwards, the last team to win a championship with a pair of elite wings was the Bulls Dynasty.

They had Ron Harper who was a lock down defensive/switchable guard and then Steve Kerr who was a 3 and D role player.

Rodman was their defensive role stopper and Longley was to fight against seven footers.

Umm...what? The Warriors? The Raptors? Those team legit had great/elite wing combos and won within the last 5 years.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2021, 12:44:47 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens

Umm...what? The Warriors? The Raptors? Those team legit had great/elite wing combos and won within the last 5 years.

Sorry I should have specified I meant elite wings in the playing style of Brown and Tatum.

Warriors true elite two were Durant and Curry (wing & guard) and Raptor had Leonard & Lowry (wing and guard)

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2021, 12:53:58 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Kemba would have been a very good fit with Hayward and Horford still on the team. But we no longer have them and not having playmaker really hurts our team as whole. I suggest moving Kemba to bench to balance the scoring production. He already botched crucial plays in the last 2 games.

There is already such a thread where I proposed this idea. But got an earful from some of the Kemba faithfuls

I agree. It would be the better option/strategy

Egos must be put to bed

You can accomplish the same thing by just pulling him after 5 mins, though. Letting him back in to run the show to start the 2nd while Brown and Tatum get rest for 4-5 to start the quarter.

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2021, 01:11:22 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I missed the game but I guess Kemba's the pinata for tonight?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2021, 01:17:48 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Kemba is a bad fit for the Jays....move him to the bench.

By the way, I still think his knees are problematic.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:16:45 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2021, 01:37:05 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 If we had everyone healthy I think Kemba would be best off the bench with us. He just dominates the ball too much to be on the court that much with the jays. Jaylen ends up out of rhythm not touching the ball for multiple possessions. Kemba can be a great bench weapon. He’s untradeable to me. I hope Marcus is ok a d when he comes back we send Kemba to the bench and if we’re going with the two bigs let’s finally go all in on Williams. Theis and Williams. I was thrilled with the Thompson signing but I was dead wrong at least so far.

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2021, 01:38:02 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I always prefer to sell my car after it breaks down because I know I will get best price for it....

Better yet, my home just sprung a leak, let me put it on the market now while it is disrepair and at its lowest possible value. Maybe I can sell my mansion for a tent. Perfect....

Thank God Danny is the GM.

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2021, 01:56:54 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
It’s time to do this:

https://tradenba.com/trades/sNPVi9KWJ

We’re better off with Teague/Pritchard/Smart rotating at point instead of Kemba. Big Al brings more to our team than Kemba (Al’s intangibles aone are still off the charts, and he’s averaging 12.5 PPG and 7.4 RBG in the west, so he’s clearly not toast). One bad contract for another, but we save funds and have Big Al’s leadership in the front court, so it’s a better contract to deal with. Maybe in this off-season or next we send out our 2022 1st round pick for anybody willing to eat his contract, too? It would be nice to go into the off-season that Jokic is available with only Tatum and Brown under contract.

OKC could pair Kemba with Shai at SG (his original position), and they’d probably be better than Shai/Al. They could even move George Hill for a pick with Kemba onboard. Unlike Al, they could potentially flip Kemba for picks in the future if he returns to form.

In short, it makes sense for us (remember our Al/Tatum/Brown championship runs?) and it makes sense for OKC. I miss Al, and do not blame him for taking the money and running (easy for us to say we’d skip on tens of millions of dollars to stay a Celtic). When we chose Kemba over Al, we did not think we’d land a solid future starting PG in Pritchard a year later. PP could be our starter next season, especially if we dump Kemba now and play PP more. We would have won tonight with Teague/PP handling point with Kemba on the bench.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:08:31 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2021, 02:14:23 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Ainge is going to have to agree to take back some iffy pieces to move Kemba and his awful contract.

This. Or Kemba for Big Al. That’s where we’re at. It’s obvious that Kemba does not fit well with the Jays.

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2021, 02:29:17 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Kemba fault or not (or bad luck)

The Celts are 1-5 since Walker return.   The win vs Cavs or Bulls was with Kemba sitting out

At this rate the Celts will be fighting for a spot for the 8th seed

Brad and the team need to figure it out asap

This. If we had reliable, no-nonsense Al Horford instead of Kemba in our last six games, bet we’d be 4-2 or 5-1 instead of 1-5.