Author Topic: Disappointed at Grant Williams game  (Read 12570 times)

Re: Disappointed at Grant Williams game
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 05:07:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I was hoping to see Grant Williams develop a 3 pointer by year 3. This is only year 2 and he had no real off-season to work on his game this year due to the bubble / covid. So I am not concerned by his lack of progress.

I will judge him on his outside shooting development or lack thereof next season after he has had another year & a full off-season to work on it. Then judge his future here long term as a result of that.

In the meantime, he is not providing enough to justify his minutes and should be placed firmly on the bench. I trust Semi more than G.Williams.

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 08:46:28 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
lol at the hot takes. Some of you have less patience for player development than Rick Pitino had.

Agree. This is recent bias on steroids. We were all salivating over this player a few games into 2019-20 (even if he was ice cold from 3 to begin his career). Then we were clamoring for Stevens to play him at the 5 in the playoffs given the fact that Miami was torching Timelord.

We are 6 games in. I’m with you that he’s looked bad. He has not looked himself, let’s put it that way. But just wait a few more games before giving up.

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 08:49:04 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
lol at the hot takes. Some of you have less patience for player development than Rick Pitino had.

BTW, for all of us who regrettably lived through Pitino, the correct answer to this comment is: “Let’s trade him for Travis Knight”.

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 09:34:55 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I normally preach patience with player development, but I don't like the step that Grant Williams took backward to begin the season, especially given the fact that we so desperately need him as a rotation player and he's been given every opportunity to succeed.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 09:53:53 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I’m astonished by people’s reactions to Grant Williams, though maybe I shouldn’t be. Grant is a Celtic. Maybe we’ve forgotten what that means. Too bad. Danny Ainge hasn’t forgotten, though.

This guy will be around for a while.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 09:57:37 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

I spit coffee out my nose on that one if I could give 2 TPs I would.
ok fine

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 10:00:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Played a lot better last game.  But he was the 22nd pick.  He is in his 2nd year.  A bit early to write him off, but no one should have expected him to be anything more than a back end rotation type player a few games into his 2nd year. 

And here's the thing, he could literally not play another game and he wouldn't be the worst 22nd pick since 2010.  In fact, he wouldn't even be the 2nd worst 22nd pick since 2010 and might not even be the 3rd worst.  Without playing another game.  Just keep that in perspective.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 10:03:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Played a lot better last game.  But he was the 22nd pick.  He is in his 2nd year.  A bit early to write him off, but no one should have expected him to be anything more than a back end rotation type player a few games into his 2nd year. 

And here's the thing, he could literally not play another game and he wouldn't be the worst 22nd pick since 2010.  In fact, he wouldn't even be the 2nd worst 22nd pick since 2010 and might not even be the 3rd worst.  Without playing another game.  Just keep that in perspective.

Highlights from last night

Grant loves to play the Raptors doesnt he

https://youtu.be/wg2QxXlf7IU

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 10:13:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I normally preach patience with player development, but I don't like the step that Grant Williams took backward to begin the season, especially given the fact that we so desperately need him as a rotation player and he's been given every opportunity to succeed.

Wasn’t there something different about this year?

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 11:45:14 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I would trade grant williams right now for a 6' 10" pf that could play some defense and defensive rebound and been in the league for 4 or 5 yrs.

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 11:49:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would trade grant williams right now for a 6' 10" pf that could play some defense and defensive rebound and been in the league for 4 or 5 yrs.

John Collins?

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2021, 01:15:31 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

John Collins?

TP. I wonder how close ATL think they are to having their ring window open?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2021, 07:33:55 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

John Collins?

A Tommy point? For suggesting that he would trade Grant Williams for a 23 year old forward who averaged 21 pts and 10 Reb last year on 58/40 shooting?

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2021, 07:46:05 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

John Collins?

A Tommy point? For suggesting that he would trade Grant Williams for a 23 year old forward who averaged 21 pts and 10 Reb last year on 58/40 shooting?

Maybe it was for being brave enough to make such an outrageous trade proposal. I know ATL didn't extend Collins, but they can just match any contract he signs this offseason. I would also like to trade for Collins, but understand that it is going to take a whole lot more than Grant Williams.

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2021, 08:18:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
just so he doesn't turn into another Sully , king of the buffets