Author Topic: Provide your top 8 playoff teams from each conference  (Read 17994 times)

Re: Provide your top 8 playoff teams from each conference
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2020, 11:18:51 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I’m stunned as to why everyone ranks the Nets so low. Load management issues? Rookie coach? That team is stacked.
You know how many players in NBA history have ruptured their Achilles and in the first year came back playing at almost the same level? One. Dominique Wilkins, a genetic freak who may have had some help from stuff that is banned today.

Other than that, every other player came back demonstrably limited compared to their game prior. Close to half never even came back. Almost all, never regained their prior form.

I think those projecting bad stuff in Brooklyn probably feel Durant won't make some amazing comeback and who knows how many games Kyrie will feel like playing in this year. There is a high probability of the Nets imploding due to Kyrie and Durant not returning as superstars and the coaching situation being less than ideal

I was about to point out Bernard King but I realise he didn't actually hurt his Achillies when he blew his leg. My guess, though, is that you're right, and we see the beginning of Durant's transition into more of a Dirk-style player starting next season.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What are the chances that the Pistons make the playoffs this season?

Starting lineup

C- Plumlee
PF- Griffin
SF- Grant
G-  Rose
G- Hayes

Bench

C- Stewart
F-  Saddiq Bey
F- Dombouya
G- Ellington, Jackson
G- Delon Wright

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2020, 12:55:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What are the chances that the Hawks make the playoffs this season?

C-  Capela
PF- Gallo
SF- Hunter
SG- Bogdonovic
PG- Young

Bench

C- Okongwu
PF- Collins
SF- Reddish
SG- Snell/Dunn
PG- Rondo

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2020, 02:26:55 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
East
1. Bucks
2. Celtics
3.Nets
4. 76ers
5. Heat
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Pacers

West
1. Fakers
2. Nuggets
3. Clippers
4. Mavs
5. Jazz
6. Pelicans
7. Suns
8 Wolves

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 12:17:51 AM by Rikibellevie »

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2020, 02:30:45 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
I’m stunned as to why everyone ranks the Nets so low. Load management issues? Rookie coach? That team is stacked.
You know how many players in NBA history have ruptured their Achilles and in the first year came back playing at almost the same level? One. Dominique Wilkins, a genetic freak who may have had some help from stuff that is banned today.

Other than that, every other player came back demonstrably limited compared to their game prior. Close to half never even came back. Almost all, never regained their prior form.

I think those projecting bad stuff in Brooklyn probably feel Durant won't make some amazing comeback and who knows how many games Kyrie will feel like playing in this year. There is a high probability of the Nets imploding due to Kyrie and Durant not returning as superstars and the coaching situation being less than ideal

Very true. At least Amare should be able to understand what KD will be going through as he struggles with adjusting to his physical limitations post injury.

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2020, 02:38:51 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
What are the chances that the Pistons make the playoffs this season?

Starting lineup

C- Plumlee
PF- Griffin
SF- Grant
G-  Rose
G- Hayes

Bench

C- Stewart
F-  Saddiq Bey
F- Dombouya
G- Ellington, Jackson
G- Delon Wright
15%..Blake and Rose will be either traded or hurt
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2020, 02:39:34 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
What are the chances that the Hawks make the playoffs this season?

C-  Capela
PF- Gallo
SF- Hunter
SG- Bogdonovic
PG- Young

Bench

C- Okongwu
PF- Collins
SF- Reddish
SG- Snell/Dunn
PG- Rondo
80%.. love this team but will take awhile to jel
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2020, 02:45:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I was about to point out Bernard King but I realise he didn't actually hurt his Achillies when he blew his leg. My guess, though, is that you're right, and we see the beginning of Durant's transition into more of a Dirk-style player starting next season.

If Durant relied on his leaping ability, I'd understand. But he doesn't.   He is so tall and long, I don't think the Achilles injury will adversely affect his game much.  Let's see.

« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

If Durant relied on his leaping ability, I'd understand. But he doesn't.   He is so tall and long, I don't think the Achilles injury will adversely affect his game much.  Let's see.

I think Durant’s defense will be more effected than his offense. His lateral mobility will be decreased. The nets might have to play some gimmicky defenses to hide KI and Durant. The offense should be really good though.

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2020, 02:58:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
still early to do this with free agency still going on and C's trying to get a TPE from Charlotte but here's my thoughts:
East
1. Milwaukee
2. Miami
3. Toronto
4. Celtics
5. Brooklyn
6. Philly
7. Pacers
8. Atlanta
—> notes
I think Atlanta made enough moves to sneak in.  I think Charlotte won’t come close despite adding Hayward.  Orlando will just miss - figure them for the #9 spot.  Toronto should be good enough in the regular season to get the third slot despite losing Gasol and Ibaka but I think they're the team most likely to be upset in the playoffs.  Brooklyn should get the fifth spot just based on talent alone but they'll look really disjointed and Steve Nash will look as useless as an appendix for that team due to Kyrie and Durant doing whatever they want.

West
1. Lakers
2. Denver
3. Clippers
4. Dallas
5. Houston
6. NO
7. Phx
8. Utah
—>notes
I think the Lakers made enough moves to put themselves at the top of the heap and that’s very painful for me to say.  I think Houston underperforms and if they move either Harden or Westbrook they miss the playoffs.  I think NO and Phx will be much better this coming year than they were this past year.  Utah barely edges out Portland for that last playoff spot.

West will still have someone over .500 that misses the playoffs whereas in the East I think the last spot or two will be under .500. 

overall, this obviously doesn’t predict for injuries that aren’t known at this time.  Example, Klay’s known injury knock GSW out of the playoffs IMO.
You think Utah barely makes it in and Portland misses the playoffs.  That is just crazy to me.  I mean I had them as the 2 and 3 seed.  I really like what they both did this off season.  Especially Portland.  I think they are going to be a very good team, especially in the regular season.
of all the things I figured YOU would complain about is that I have the Celtics as high as 4th in the East or even in the playoffs at all   ::)

As for Utah and Portland, I can't see how you'd think they were that high in the conference to garner the 2 and 3 spots over the Clips and Denver and Dallas at a minimum.  I don't see a compelling argument to put them ahead of NO either but that's my take on the situation.
I think Denver is going to be a bit worse than last year and they will miss Grant a lot and Plumlee to a lesser extent, especially with Millsap just getting older.   I don't really like what the Clippers did and they still have the Kawhi taking 20 games off problem.  The Clippers are likely a much better playoff team than regular season team.

As for Utah, they won 44 games last year (2 wins less than the Nuggets).  I think Mitchell is still getting better and they won't be appreciably worse anywhere else.  I don't think it odd to think they will improve upon their 50 win pace, especially since they didn't play overly well in the bubble before pushing Denver to 7 games in the first round (after blowing a 3-1 lead no less) and not having Conley in the 2 point game 7 loss.

I believe Portland was an aberration last year without Nurkic and basically Collins.  They also got a lot better in their free agent additions.  I think they may very well may have improved the most of all the playoff teams from last year.  This is a team that won 53 games and was in the WCF just two seasons ago.  I think they have the 2nd best starting 5 in the West (behind only the Lakers).  Lillard, McCollum, Covington, Anthony, and Nurkic is a great starting 5.  I like Hood off the bench (potential 6th man of the year candidate) and they will have Collins back in January and I think players like Jones could really thrive in his role.  I expect Portland to be back in the mid-50 win range again and a real threat out west, just as they were 2 years ago.

As for the Pelicans, they might not even be better than they were this year.  Losing Holiday was a big blow to them.  Bledsoe is ok, but he isn't Holiday.  I think Adams will provide some cover for Zion, but I don't like how they fit together.  There is certainly some talent on their roster, but I don't think they will be a great team or anything.  They have talent, enough talent that I put them as the 8th seed, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs, especially if Golden State (who I have out) is better than I think they will be.  Also, I'm really not sure how Zion, Ingram, Ball, and Lewis will actually fit together long term either.  They may have to move Ingram at some point.
TP for responding with a post that provides some insight into your thoughts rather than the one where you just called mine crazy

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2020, 09:39:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
East
1. Milwaukee (by a large margin)
2. Philadelphia
3. Miami
4. Boston
5. Indiana
6. Toronto
7. Brooklyn
8. Charlotte

West
1. Los Angeles L (by a large margin)
2. Utah
3. Portland
4. Denver
5. Los Angeles C
6. Houston
7. Dallas
8. New Orleans
I'm still unchanged after the more recent moves.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2020, 09:59:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Suns

Edit: forgot Dallas. Man the West is brutal. Dallas takes the Suns spot.

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Nets
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Pacers
Have to update mine a but after a couple weeks of thought, moves, etc.

WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Dallas

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Wizards
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Nets

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2020, 11:31:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Suns

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Nets
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Pacers

WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Dallas

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Wizards
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Nets
Why don't you like the Pacers?  I think most people think they are clearly one of the top 7 teams in the East.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2020, 01:47:54 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Nets
4. Celtics
5. Sixers
6. Raps
7. Pacers
8. Wizards

1. Lakers
2. Nuggets
3. Blazers
4. Clips
5. Mavs
6. Jazz
7. Warriors
8. Rockets

I wanted to somehow include the Suns cause of CP3, but I just couldn't leave any of the other teams out. The West is gonna be loaded once again.

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2020, 07:27:25 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Suns

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Nets
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Pacers

WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Dallas

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Wizards
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Nets
Why don't you like the Pacers?  I think most people think they are clearly one of the top 7 teams in the East.

I think firing Nate McMillian was a huge mistake for them. I also wanted to see them make an off-season move or two and the zip.

Brogdon/VO/Warren/Turner/Sabonis is clunky. The need to move Turner for a small forward. I’m curious to how Victor come back as well.

They’re a good squad but there are 9-10 playoff solid teams in the East this year. They could certainly get in.