Author Topic: Provide your top 8 playoff teams from each conference  (Read 17835 times)

Re: Provide your top 8 playoff teams from each conference
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2020, 07:43:49 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
1.  Bucks  (Only because they have Giannis and Middleton together; otherwise, we're way better)
2.  Celtics
By this logic, the Lakers won the championship only because they have LeBron and AD together; otherwise, we're way better than them too. :P

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2020, 08:11:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I wonder about Houston. Are they vulnerable to missing the playoffs?

I have no faith in John Wall. I consider him a large downgrade on Westbrook. And they have lost Covington. Although, I wonder if their five out offense helps John Wall ... maybe.

There is a lot of competition for playoff spots in the West. They just feel to me like they are tinkering on the edge of it.

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2020, 08:24:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
What are the chances that the Hawks make the playoffs this season?

C-  Capela
PF- Gallo
SF- Hunter
SG- Bogdonovic
PG- Young

Bench

C- Okongwu
PF- Collins
SF- Reddish
SG- Snell/Dunn
PG- Rondo

Fun team to watch but will give up lots of points.

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2020, 08:25:33 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

I have no faith in John Wall. I consider him a large downgrade on Westbrook. And they have lost Covington. Although, I wonder if their five out offense helps John Wall ... maybe.

There is a lot of competition for playoff spots in the West. They just feel to me like they are tinkering on the edge of it.

Christian Wood was a big get though.

Harden has never had a pick and roll partner that has Woods skills. Woods is elite at finishing on the pick and roll and can also spread the floor. He is Capela with a very good 3pt shot. (offensively)

If Wall is close to being healthy and (apparently) he has become a much better shooter, he should benefit from just being on the court. He certainly doesnt need to do as much. I like Houston more now than last season (i think Wall is healthy again)
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2020, 08:34:46 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Suns

Edit: forgot Dallas. Man the West is brutal. Dallas takes the Suns spot.

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Nets
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Pacers
Have to update mine a but after a couple weeks of thought, moves, etc.

WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Dallas

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Wizards
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Nets
Why don't you like the Pacers?  I think most people think they are clearly one of the top 7 teams in the East.

I think firing Nate McMillian was a huge mistake for them. I also wanted to see them make an off-season move or two and the zip.

Brogdon/VO/Warren/Turner/Sabonis is clunky. The need to move Turner for a small forward. I’m curious to how Victor come back as well.

They’re a good squad but there are 9-10 playoff solid teams in the East this year. They could certainly get in.
I see it argued often that Turner and Sabonis fit poorly and I don’t necessarily disagree but the problem seems to be squarely on Sabonis.

He offers no rim protection, can’t move his feet or guard the perimeter and doesn’t spread the floor. It’s really really hard to come up with a big who does fit next to him.

Trade Turner for more a wing/swing type like the proposed hayward deal and now it’s an even worse fit. Who does fit next to Sabonis? I can’t really think of anyone. Maybe a Jonathan Isaac type but the guys that fit aren’t super available.

I know Indy doesn’t want to trade Sabonis because you never want to trade your best and most promising young player who is under team control.

But building a good roster around him seems near impossible. Every other elite big in the NBA offers one of floor spacing, rim protection or perimeter defense. How valuable can a big man who does none of that and also isn’t superlative in his other skills be?

There’s not really a solution here for Indy, but the idea that Turners issue is fit seems off. It’s not that Turner is a bad fit next to Sabonis. It’s that Sabonis isn’t a good fit next to almost anyone. Turner at least can spread the floor and block shots. He just isn’t quick enough laterally.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2020, 09:44:06 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Suns

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Nets
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Pacers

WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Dallas

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Wizards
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Nets
Why don't you like the Pacers?  I think most people think they are clearly one of the top 7 teams in the East.

I think firing Nate McMillian was a huge mistake for them. I also wanted to see them make an off-season move or two and the zip.

Brogdon/VO/Warren/Turner/Sabonis is clunky. The need to move Turner for a small forward. I’m curious to how Victor come back as well.

They’re a good squad but there are 9-10 playoff solid teams in the East this year. They could certainly get in.
I see it argued often that Turner and Sabonis fit poorly and I don’t necessarily disagree but the problem seems to be squarely on Sabonis.

He offers no rim protection, can’t move his feet or guard the perimeter and doesn’t spread the floor. It’s really really hard to come up with a big who does fit next to him.

Trade Turner for more a wing/swing type like the proposed hayward deal and now it’s an even worse fit. Who does fit next to Sabonis? I can’t really think of anyone. Maybe a Jonathan Isaac type but the guys that fit aren’t super available.

I know Indy doesn’t want to trade Sabonis because you never want to trade your best and most promising young player who is under team control.

But building a good roster around him seems near impossible. Every other elite big in the NBA offers one of floor spacing, rim protection or perimeter defense. How valuable can a big man who does none of that and also isn’t superlative in his other skills be?

There’s not really a solution here for Indy, but the idea that Turners issue is fit seems off. It’s not that Turner is a bad fit next to Sabonis. It’s that Sabonis isn’t a good fit next to almost anyone. Turner at least can spread the floor and block shots. He just isn’t quick enough laterally.
Sabonis needs an athletic PF next to him I think.  Doesn't even necessarily need to be a guy big enough to guard a center.  A Tatum type PF I think would be ok (obviously guys as good as Tatum don't come along very often, but just someone in that mold).  I think he'd be fine in that sort of front court because he is such a good passer and rebounder.  He just needs a guy that won't get in his way in the middle.

That said the Pacers were on a 50 win pace last year and I think if they are worse, it won't be by much (I think they will probably be a bit better actually with a full year to have the new guys mesh and getting more of Oladipo).  I really don't see how they miss the playoffs if they stay relatively healthy.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2020, 09:58:31 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Suns

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Nets
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Pacers

WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Dallas

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Wizards
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Nets

Really? I think firing McMillian may make that team so much better. His ability to coach an offense was abysmal, and he his teams have consistently underperformed in the playoffs.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2020, 11:01:12 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Suns

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Nets
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Pacers

WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Dallas

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Wizards
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Nets

Really? I think firing McMillian may make that team so much better. His ability to coach an offense was abysmal, and he his teams have consistently underperformed in the playoffs.

In 18-19 he brought a Pacers team where Victor Oladipo played way less than half of the regular season to a 48-34 record. Last year, without Oladipo for about 75% of the season, he brought them to a 45-28 record. He was also missing Sabonis for the entire bubble and was without Brogdon for a big portion.

So VO, their loan star, played 35% of games the past two seasons and McMillan was still able to bring them around a .600 winning percentage.

To me that's pretty impressive. The reason they've underperformed in the last two playoffs was because of injuries and playing teams that are better than them.

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2020, 11:08:39 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Suns

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Nets
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Pacers

WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Dallas

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Wizards
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Nets

In 18-19 he brought a Pacers team where Victor Oladipo played way less than half of the regular season to a 48-34 record. Last year, without Oladipo for about 75% of the season, he brought them to a 45-28 record. He was also missing Sabonis for the entire bubble and was without Brogdon for a big portion.

So VO, their loan star, played 35% of games the past two seasons and McMillan was still able to bring them around a .600 winning percentage.

To me that's pretty impressive. The reason they've underperformed in the last two playoffs was because of injuries and playing teams that are better than them.
I think it's a bit of both. His coaching is great for overachieving in the regular season due to his strong tactical nous on defence, but his inability to create offensive schemes that make the best use of the offensive talent at his disposal hurts his teams in the playoffs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2020, 11:10:12 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

John Wall has looked really good in workout videos so I'm not too sure about that. Obviously any good NBA player can look like a legend in workout videos, but Wall looks genuinely explosive out there (his shot looks better too).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2020, 11:13:55 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Suns

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Nets
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Pacers

WEST

1. Lakers
2. Blazers
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6.Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Dallas

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. Celtics
4. 76ers
5. Wizards
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Nets

I think it wasn't so much they've lost, it has been they've been pretty consistently embarrassed in the playoffs getting swept 3 of the 4 years (the other they did push Cleveland to 7).  And yes, Miami and Boston were better teams, but not 8-0 better the last two years, and the Miami games were all at least 9 point losses.  Team just didn't show much fight.  They were also worse that first year under McMillan then they were the prior season under Vogel.  Portland also seemed to get a lot better under Stotts then they were under McMillan as well.  McMillan has won 1 playoff series in his entire career and has a 17-36 record in the playoffs (and as indicated was 3-16 in Indiana).  That just isn't very good.

I have no idea if Nate Bjorkgren is any good, but I can't imagine he is much worse than 3-16.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2020, 11:35:22 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
WEST

1. Lakers
2. Nuggets
3. Clippers
4. Blazers
5. Mavericks
6.Warriors
7. Jazz
8. Suns

Lakers got better so they're the #1 seed and it isn't really close. I think Harden gets traded and the Rockets drop out of the playoff picture. Blazers will be healthy going into the season and I like the offseason moves they made. The Warriors get in as a low seed because they have more depth on the wing to help with the loss of Klay this season. They could jump up in the standings though because I see them as a dark horse team to trade for Harden (Nets don't have a blue chip young guy and the Sixers seem hesitant to trade Simmons). Cp3 gets Phoenix a playoff berth.

EAST

1. Bucks
2. Heat
3. 76ers
4. Nets
5. Celtics
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Wizards

Bucks are regular season kings, don't think that'd change. Miami rides the momentum from the bubble and commit to a full season of Bam at the 5. 76ers finally cleaned up their roster thanks to Morey and added the shooting they desperately needed. I expect the Nets to load manage Durant and Kyrie, so I have them as a 4-seed. Even though I think Durant won't be pre-Achilles Durant, I still believe he'll be a Dirk-esque offensive lynchpin. I believe the C's will stumble out of the gate with no Kemba and having done nothing to replace Hayward. I think our Top 5 sans Kemba (Smart, the Jays, Theis and Thompson) will be okay, but we can't play those guys 48 minutes and the group of kids on the bench just don't impress me (except for Nesmith. I'm really hoping his shooting wasn't a mirage).

I have the Raptors dropping because they replaced Ibaka and Gasol with Baynes and I just don't see him staying healthy consistently. Hawks had a solid offseason and can still improve if they move one of their bigs. I have the Wizards in over Indy because I think Oladipo will be hampered by the quad injury. His play was leveling out before he ruptured it and that's a devastated injury for a players who relies as much on athleticism as he does. I also like Russ' fit in Washington more than most.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2020, 11:55:06 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think the Grizzlies will make the playoffs.

I'm not in favor of purposeful mixing up Eastern and Western teams in the playoffs....but maybe there should be a rule that if the 9th seeded Western team has a better record than the 5th seeded Eastern team, then the 8th seed in East is out and the 9th seed in West is in and takes the 5th seed spot in the Eastern conference.

I chose 5th seed because looking at East this upcoming year, I predict the 9th seed in West will in fact have a better record than the East's 5th seed.

Could make a similar rule but use winning percentage instead of seeding...such that if 9th seed in West is a certain percentage higher than the Eastern 8th seed, then that West team makes it in as an Eastern team and is placed in order of record among Eastern teams (and 8th seed in East is out).

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I wanted to wait until Harden was traded, but that may not happen soon. So here are my predictions (22-12), in color clustered teams.

Eastern Conference

1. Milwaukee Bucks
2. Brooklyn Nets

3. Miami Heat
4. Toronto Raptors
5. Philadelphia 76'ers
6. Indiana Pacers

7. Boston Celtics
8. Atlanta Hawks
9. Washington Wizards

10. Orlando Magic
11. Chicago Bulls

12. Charlotte Hornets
13. Cleveland Cavaliers
14. New York Knicks
15. Detroit Pistons

Western Conference

1. Los Angeles Lakers
2. Utah Jazz
3. Denver Nuggets

4. Portland Trailblazers
5. Phoenix Suns
6. Dallas Mavericks

7. New Orleans Pelicans
8. Los Angeles Clippers
9. Memphis Grizzlies
10. Houston Rockets

11. Golden State Warriors
12. San Antonio Spurs
13. Sacramento Kings

14. Minnesota Timberwolves
15. Oklahoma City Thunder

Notes:

I expect a clear separation in the East between 9 good and 6 bad teams. One of five teams either Philadelphia, Indiana, Boston, Atlanta, Indiana or Washington will be the unlucky one to finish 9th (although there are play-ins this year). Brooklyn could challenge for the top seed with Milwaukee perhaps.

As you can see I have high expectations for the Utah Jazz this season. I'm confident that LA Lakers, Utah, Denver, Portland and Dallas will surely make the playoffs. After that it's a big dogfight. Even the Clippers will struggle to make the playoffs spots.

Due to various reasons one by one teams will fall past the mid-season: Minnesota (roster construction), Sacramento (coaching), San Antonio (age), Houston (chemistry), Golden State (depth) and finally Memphis (experience).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 09:22:06 AM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2020, 08:40:42 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Regarding the lakers I think they'll be one of the last teams standing but it wouldn't surprise me if they're around the third seed.  I think other, younger teams will prioritize the regular season a lot more than they will.  I expect lebron to cruise early on and save everything for the playoffs.