Author Topic: Provide your top 8 playoff teams from each conference  (Read 17983 times)

Re: Provide your top 8 playoff teams from each conference
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2020, 10:38:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
East
1. Milwaukee
2. Boston
3. Miami
4. Philadelphia
5. Brooklyn
6. Toronto
7. Indiana
8. Orlando

West
1. Clippers
2. Lakers
3. Denver
4. Houston
5. Dallas
6. Utah
7. New Orleans
8. Portland
No Golden State? I understand that they don't have Klay, but they have Oubre and Wiggins on the wing.

its pretty crazy how some discount their capability. Even without Klay.

Curry is still one of the premiere players in the league
I don't think they have the horses to make it through the regular season mostly healthy.  Draymond played in just 43 games last year and they were horrible with him.  Curry played in just 5 games and is almost 33.  He won't lose his shooting, but so much of his game is predicated on his speed in getting open (since he is short, thin, and weak).  GS needed Klay badly.  Not just for his scoring and defense, but for the cover he provides to Curry.  Without Klay, I expect Curry to miss a lot of extra time and they just aren't good enough to make the playoffs if Curry isn't a monster all season long (and I just don't think Curry is the type of guy that can play hero ball all season long).  Oubre and Wiggins just don't do it for me.  The Suns were better without Oubre who didn't play in the bubble and Wiggins just isn't any good.  I like Wiseman, but not as a rookie. 

The Klay injury wrecked the Warriors season.  I absolutely 100% believe that.

Your analysis/weakness is geared towards more for the playoffs

but in the regular season, the GSW are still the GSW without Thompson

Not as dangerous but still not to be under estimated

Kerr deserves more credit.    His team cuts/screens/drop offs/pnr hell and now alley threat with Wiseman.   Miami closely watched and copied their style  (and it works since they have compatible pieces).   Unless Curry goes down with injury or misses significant time,  they should make the playoffs
The Warriors were 1-3 to start last year with Curry, Russell, and Green all playing beating only the Pelicans.  I get that 4 games is basically nothing, but it also is some evidence of what the Warriors might look like this year.  They aren't the same team without Klay. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 10:39:56 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
East
1. Milwaukee
2. Boston
3. Miami
4. Philadelphia
5. Brooklyn
6. Toronto
7. Indiana
8. Orlando

West
1. Clippers
2. Lakers
3. Denver
4. Houston
5. Dallas
6. Utah
7. New Orleans
8. Portland
No Golden State? I understand that they don't have Klay, but they have Oubre and Wiggins on the wing.

I don't think they have the horses to make it through the regular season mostly healthy.  Draymond played in just 43 games last year and they were horrible with him.  Curry played in just 5 games and is almost 33.  He won't lose his shooting, but so much of his game is predicated on his speed in getting open (since he is short, thin, and weak).  GS needed Klay badly.  Not just for his scoring and defense, but for the cover he provides to Curry.  Without Klay, I expect Curry to miss a lot of extra time and they just aren't good enough to make the playoffs if Curry isn't a monster all season long (and I just don't think Curry is the type of guy that can play hero ball all season long).  Oubre and Wiggins just don't do it for me.  The Suns were better without Oubre who didn't play in the bubble and Wiggins just isn't any good.  I like Wiseman, but not as a rookie. 

but in the regular season, the GSW are still the GSW even without Thompson

Not as dangerous/unbeatable but still not to be under estimated

Kerr deserves more credit.    His team cuts/screens/drop offs/pnr hell and now alley threat with Wiseman.  Unless Curry goes down with injury or misses significant time,  they should make the playoffs
Curry was thin and weak in the early 2010s, he put on muscle in the middle of the decade when he realised that teams were getting physical with him. I don't see him dipping too much in the playoffs with his new physique tbh, he can leverage his strength and guile to draw a ton of fouls with his off-ball movement, which will make up for any loss of pace imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2020, 10:41:07 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
East
1. Milwaukee
2. Boston
3. Miami
4. Philadelphia
5. Brooklyn
6. Toronto
7. Indiana
8. Orlando

West
1. Clippers
2. Lakers
3. Denver
4. Houston
5. Dallas
6. Utah
7. New Orleans
8. Portland

Kerr deserves more credit.    His team cuts/screens/drop offs/pnr hell and now alley threat with Wiseman.   Miami closely watched and copied their style  (and it works since they have compatible pieces).   Unless Curry goes down with injury or misses significant time,  they should make the playoffs
The Warriors were 1-3 to start last year with Curry, Russell, and Green all playing beating only the Pelicans.  I get that 4 games is basically nothing, but it also is some evidence of what the Warriors might look like this year.  They aren't the same team without Klay.
They also had zero starting quality wings. You might not like Wiggins (and neither do I), but him and Oubre are massive upgrades over whoever GSW started at the wing last season.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2020, 11:35:25 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I’ll give top 4 since the rest are just rounding errors

Bucks/Nets/Celtics/Heat

Lakers/Nuggets/Warriors/Clippers

Injuries can change everything.

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 08:22:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
East
1. Milwaukee
2. Boston
3. Miami
4. Philadelphia
5. Brooklyn
6. Toronto
7. Indiana
8. Orlando

West
1. Clippers
2. Lakers
3. Denver
4. Houston
5. Dallas
6. Utah
7. New Orleans
8. Portland

They also had zero starting quality wings. You might not like Wiggins (and neither do I), but him and Oubre are massive upgrades over whoever GSW started at the wing last season.
Glenn Robinson started those 4 games.  For GS last year he was a 13/5 guy on 40% from 3 starting all 48 games he played before he was traded.  Obviously not as good as either Wiggins or Oubre, but not terrible either.  So they started Curry, Russell, Robinson, Green, and then someone else (usually Looney).  And they weren't good and neither was Curry.  Again small sample size, but it is all we really have to go off of.

Time will tell, but I absolutely believe Klay's injury destroyed GS as a good team and given how deep the west is, I don't think they make the playoffs.  They need Klay, without him I just don't think they will do much of anything.  I'd like to see them relevant, especially since I have Curry in my keeper fantasy league, but I just don't see it happening.

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2020, 09:04:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
East
1. Milwaukee
2. Boston
3. Miami
4. Philadelphia
5. Brooklyn
6. Toronto
7. Indiana
8. Orlando

West
1. Clippers
2. Lakers
3. Denver
4. Houston
5. Dallas
6. Utah
7. New Orleans
8. Portland

Glenn Robinson started those 4 games.  For GS last year he was a 13/5 guy on 40% from 3 starting all 48 games he played before he was traded.  Obviously not as good as either Wiggins or Oubre, but not terrible either.  So they started Curry, Russell, Robinson, Green, and then someone else (usually Looney).  And they weren't good and neither was Curry.  Again small sample size, but it is all we really have to go off of.

Time will tell, but I absolutely believe Klay's injury destroyed GS as a good team and given how deep the west is, I don't think they make the playoffs.  They need Klay, without him I just don't think they will do much of anything.  I'd like to see them relevant, especially since I have Curry in my keeper fantasy league, but I just don't see it happening.
Glenn Robinson improved a bit as the season went on - he shot 20% from three in those 4 games as a player whose offensive value primarily comes from being able to space the floor. The Warriors really needed a wing who could be somewhat of a two-way player with Russell and Curry so he could finish the open looks both create for him as well as cover for them defensively (Curry's a decent defender but Russell is pretty bad), and Robinson just wasn't that type of guy who could do that for ~30 minutes a game. Wiggins became a pretty strong wing defender after joining GS and Oubre is a pretty good one as well, so I think this kind of upgrade in terms of quality and fit around Curry and Draymond (Oubre can somewhat approximate Klay's role on offence while Wiggins can be a rich man's Iguodala offensively as a finisher and extra passer) will push them to the playoffs considering that their bench isn't that bad with their additions this offseason.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2020, 10:15:16 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
The more pressing question is; are the Celtics a top 4 in the East?

My top 5
1.Milwaukee

2thru5 (in no particular order 😒)
Miami
Philadelphia
Boston
Brooklyn

....and then there is Toronto; a team that I have come to respect.

I'm confused...why is 76ers ranked high or higher than Celtics?

They added Dwight Howard, Seth Curry and Ferguson. Not really scary...  I'm not worried about draft picks Maxey and Joe either
A bit early for this.  Sixers, for example, still have their taxpayer MLE to use.   

Sixers gain:  Howard, Danny Green, Seth Curry, Tony Bradley, Ferguson and Maxey.  Also Isaiah Joe and Paul Reed but one of them is likely on a 2-way. 
Sixers loss:  Horford, Richardson, Pelle, O'Quinn, Alec Burks, Neto and Zhaire Smith

They've added a lot of shooting around Embiid and Simmons and they've added 2 solid big men to backup Embiid.  Losing Horford not only means no more of the problematic Simmons, Horford, Embiid lineups.  It also means Harris should play at the 4 where he is much better. 

The biggest change for the Sixers is the coaching staff.  Doc and his assistants Dave Joerger, Sam Cassell and Dan Burke should be a big upgrade. 

Before the bubble, the Sixers only lost once at home but were worse than the Knicks at home. 
I'd expect them to drop a bit at home but be much better on the road.  That should put them in contention for 2nd in the East behind the Bucks. 

Edit:  Actually the biggest change is hiring Morey. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:20:19 AM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

My top 5
1.Milwaukee

Miami
Philadelphia
Boston
Brooklyn

They added Dwight Howard, Seth Curry and Ferguson. Not really scary...  I'm not worried about draft picks Maxey and Joe either
A bit early for this.  Sixers, for example, still have their taxpayer MLE to use.   

Sixers gain:  Howard, Danny Green, Seth Curry, Tony Bradley, Ferguson and Maxey.  Also Isaiah Joe and Paul Reed but one of them is likely on a 2-way. 
Sixers loss:  Horford, Richardson, Pelle, O'Quinn, Alec Burks, Neto and Zhaire Smith

They've added a lot of shooting around Embiid and Simmons and they've added 2 solid big men to backup Embiid.  Losing Horford not only means no more of the problematic Simmons, Horford, Embiid lineups.  It also means Harris should play at the 4 where he is much better. 

The biggest change for the Sixers is the coaching staff.  Doc and his assistants Dave Joerger, Sam Cassell and Dan Burke should be a big upgrade. 

Before the bubble, the Sixers only lost once at home but were worse than the Knicks at home. 
I'd expect them to drop a bit at home but be much better on the road.  That should put them in contention for 2nd in the East behind the Bucks.

It doesn’t really matter who they put around Embiid & Simmons... the problem is they can’t really play together. They are ball dominant and don’t fit that well together. Maybe they added more complimentary players, but they downgraded in overall talent from Horford, Richardson, and Burks.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2020, 10:40:20 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

My top 5
1.Milwaukee

Miami
Philadelphia
Boston
Brooklyn

It doesn’t really matter who they put around Embiid & Simmons... the problem is they can’t really play together. They are ball dominant and don’t fit that well together. Maybe they added more complimentary players, but they downgraded in overall talent from Horford, Richardson, and Burks.
Embiid and Simmons can play together fine offensively and are excellent together defensively.  In 2017/18 their lineup of Simmons, Redick, Saric, Covington and Embiid had a league leading 20.5 net rating for starting lineups. 

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2020, 12:11:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
still early to do this with free agency still going on and C's trying to get a TPE from Charlotte but here's my thoughts:
East
1. Milwaukee
2. Miami
3. Toronto
4. Celtics
5. Brooklyn
6. Philly
7. Pacers
8. Atlanta
—> notes
I think Atlanta made enough moves to sneak in.  I think Charlotte won’t come close despite adding Hayward.  Orlando will just miss - figure them for the #9 spot.  Toronto should be good enough in the regular season to get the third slot despite losing Gasol and Ibaka but I think they're the team most likely to be upset in the playoffs.  Brooklyn should get the fifth spot just based on talent alone but they'll look really disjointed and Steve Nash will look as useless as an appendix for that team due to Kyrie and Durant doing whatever they want.

West
1. Lakers
2. Denver
3. Clippers
4. Dallas
5. Houston
6. NO
7. Phx
8. Utah
—>notes
I think the Lakers made enough moves to put themselves at the top of the heap and that’s very painful for me to say.  I think Houston underperforms and if they move either Harden or Westbrook they miss the playoffs.  I think NO and Phx will be much better this coming year than they were this past year.  Utah barely edges out Portland for that last playoff spot.

West will still have someone over .500 that misses the playoffs whereas in the East I think the last spot or two will be under .500. 

overall, this obviously doesn’t predict for injuries that aren’t known at this time.  Example, Klay’s known injury knock GSW out of the playoffs IMO.   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:55:00 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
still early to do this with free agency still going on and C's trying to get a TPE from Charlotte but here's my thoughts:
East
1. Milwaukee
2. Miami
3. Toronto
4. Celtics
5. Brooklyn
6. Philly
7. Pacers
8. Atlanta
—> notes
I think Atlanta made enough moves to sneak in.  I think Charlotte won’t come close despite adding Hayward.  Orlando will just miss - figure them for the #9 spot.  Toronto should be good enough in the regular season to get the third slot despite losing Gasol and Ibaka but I think they're the team most likely to be upset in the playoffs.  Brooklyn should get the fifth spot just based on talent alone but they'll look really disjointed and Steve Nash will look as useless as an appendix for that team due to Kyrie and Durant doing whatever they want.

West
1. Lakers
2. Denver
3. Clippers
4. Dallas
5. Houston
6. NO
7. Phx
8. Utah
—>notes
I think the Lakers made enough moves to put themselves at the top of the heap and that’s very painful for me to say.  I think Houston underperforms and if they move either Harden or Westbrook they miss the playoffs.  I think NO and Phx will be much better this coming year than they were this past year.  Utah barely edges out Portland for that last playoff spot.

West will still have someone over .500 that misses the playoffs whereas in the East I think the last spot or two will be under .500. 

overall, this obviously doesn’t predict for injuries that aren’t known at this time.  Example, Klay’s known injury knock GSW out of the playoffs IMO.
You think Utah barely makes it in and Portland misses the playoffs.  That is just crazy to me.  I mean I had them as the 2 and 3 seed.  I really like what they both did this off season.  Especially Portland.  I think they are going to be a very good team, especially in the regular season.

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2020, 04:16:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Can Phoenix be a top 4 team in the West?

Their top three of CP3, Booker and Ayton is strong. One of the strongest in the West. Much stronger than other teams like Denver, Utah or Portland.

Can Phoenix get enough depth around those 3 stars to be a top 4 team this season?

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2020, 04:24:27 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
It will be interesting this year with the play in tournament with 7-10

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2020, 04:26:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Their top three of CP3, Booker and Ayton is strong. One of the strongest in the West. Much stronger than other teams like Denver, Utah or Portland.

Can Phoenix get enough depth around those 3 stars to be a top 4 team this season?
I'm not sure that is a stronger top 3 than Denver, Utah, or Portland.  Certainly more interesting and more variable, but stronger, that is a tough one. 

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'm not sure that is a stronger top 3 than Denver, Utah, or Portland.  Certainly more interesting and more variable, but stronger, that is a tough one.
A lot depends on the developmental leap, or lack thereof, from Ayton
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)