Author Topic: Danny turned nothing into something  (Read 6778 times)

Re: Danny turned nothing into something
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 04:36:28 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Another brilliant move by Ainge.

A decent young center, a first round pick, and cap space for next summer.

All for practically nothing.
No additional cap space was acquired in this deal.

In fact assuming we exercise Zeller's fourth year option (if it hasn't been already) we're going to lose a small amount of cap space from this deal.

Also it wasn't for nothing, eating 8 million dollars in salary is definitely a cost. It just didn't cost the team any basketball assets just payroll dollars.

Thornton's expiring $8.5 million dollar contract could free up more cap space next summer.

No. That's "cap space"  that was available with or without him.

Not true.

In addition, Boston will have over $32 million in salary coming off the books next summer (Rondo, Bass, Thornton, and Anthony), making them a prime option to sign top free agents in 2015.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/7/9/5883941/boston-celtics-acquire-tyler-zeller-cleveland-cavaliers-analysis-thornton-first-nba

Yet, I'm pretty sure Aldridge is the only worthwhile free agent besides Rondo in Summer 2015, and I fully expect him to resign with Portland.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9947573/nba-free-agents-2014-2015

Become Legendary.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

In fact assuming we exercise Zeller's fourth year option (if it hasn't been already) we're going to lose a small amount of cap space from this deal.

Also it wasn't for nothing, eating 8 million dollars in salary is definitely a cost. It just didn't cost the team any basketball assets just payroll dollars.

Thornton's expiring $8.5 million dollar contract could free up more cap space next summer.

Not true.

In addition, Boston will have over $32 million in salary coming off the books next summer (Rondo, Bass, Thornton, and Anthony), making them a prime option to sign top free agents in 2015.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/7/9/5883941/boston-celtics-acquire-tyler-zeller-cleveland-cavaliers-analysis-thornton-first-nba

As already pointed out, it does nothing to help up in the summer of 2015.  But Thornton can now be packaged with Bass, Green and whomever else in a trade this coming season.

Mike

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 05:21:24 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
It's clear we can't keep this roster entering the season, which leads me to believe more trades are on the way. We have 17 players under contract and are over the luxury tax.

It seems we've got to have more trades on the horizon or am I nuts?

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 05:23:42 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
That was 2 hours ago. What has Ainge done for me lately?

Nothing. ::)

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 05:23:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Expiring deals do not equal cap space.

For emphasis.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

For emphasis.
UNLESS you trade non-expiring deals for the expiring deals.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Always avoid absolutes.  :D

TP.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Not true.

Yet, I'm pretty sure Aldridge is the only worthwhile free agent besides Rondo in Summer 2015, and I fully expect him to resign with Portland.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9947573/nba-free-agents-2014-2015

Marc Gasol is worthwhile! :)

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 05:47:23 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Always avoid absolutes.  :D

TP.

Nice.

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 05:53:09 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
This is a good trade but one thing that is not obvious is the $10M TPE exemption came to us largely because we took on Gerald Wallace for 3 years at $10.1M.  There were many parts to the BKN deal so you can't match up any two parts exactly but these two are pretty close to matching up.  The Celtics paid dearly for that trade exemption.  So I guess it comes down to this:

Zeller
Cle Pick

for taking on the contracts of:

Wallace (3 years at $10.1 per)
Thornton (1 year at $8.5)

That is about $40M.

I am not saying this is a bad trade, I would do it all over again starting with the KG/PP trade but no one made something out of nothing.  Rather, the Celtics agreed to pay $40M to make something out of nothing.

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 05:59:06 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
So were gonna be a 30 win team now this year, great!!! And please let's all be honest with each other NO marquee free agents will come to Boston....
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 05:59:38 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
This is a good trade but one thing that is not obvious is the $10M TPE exemption came to us largely because we took on Gerald Wallace for 3 years at $10.1M.  There were many parts to the BKN deal so you can't match up any two parts exactly but these two are pretty close to matching up.  The Celtics paid dearly for that trade exemption.  So I guess it comes down to this:

Zeller
Cle Pick

That is about $40M.

I am not saying this is a bad trade, I would do it all over again starting with the KG/PP trade but no one made something out of nothing.  Rather, the Celtics agreed to pay $40M to make something out of nothing.

ACTUALLY, in my honest opinion, Wallace still got some...back when he was with the Bobcats, I wanted him to come here to back Pierce up

now that he is a shell of himself and not worth nearly as much money as 10 mil per, I don't mind stretching his contract out...I'm sure when healthy he can still provide a little bit for some teams

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 06:01:20 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
That was 2 hours ago. What has Ainge done for me lately?

Nothing. ::)

My post was an attempt to construct narratives rather than dwell on those incapable of understanding the difference between expiring contracts and cap space.

I think the trade was great.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 06:03:28 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Zeller
Cle Pick

That is about $40M.

At least one of the BKN picks was for Wallace. So 2 picks and Zeller to take on Wallace. Thorton just turned 27 but we can flip or keep him and let him expire so I don't really see the downside there.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

For emphasis.
UNLESS you trade non-expiring deals for the expiring deals.
still doesnt as you can still be above the cap even if your salary goes down.