Author Topic: Rajon Rondo = BJ Armstrong.  (Read 69622 times)

Re: So lets here the excuses for Rondo!
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2008, 12:40:37 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

We're not gonna win alot of games with rondo playing like this..Its PATHETIC guys...really he looks like the worst PG in the league right now....Pruitt needs to play

While I'll overlook "worst point guard in the league" as hyperbole, our starting point guard (who started for a championship team last year, showed flashes of brilliance and is in his third year in the league at age 22) starts the season in a slump, and we've won 80 percent of our first ten games.  And while whether he plays like a 'star' or anything close to it remains to be seen, the likelihood is certainly that he will play better through the season's last 72 games than he has so far. 

All that in mind, this analysis seems just a bit panicky for November 15, no?

-sw
First off i want to apologize to you for a previous accusation of calling you out for picking my post apart in a thread i started about Tony Allen.Actually after rereading your posts you were only trying to point out it was a little early etc.etc.but i dont think anyone got the point i was trying to make at that time anyhow.Thats not the issue today,so i will move on today's business.When you say "flashes" of brillance,isn't that signs or here/there of Rondo coming into his own?And when you say "slump"isnt that meaning not being up to his usually higher standard of play?I see it as  becoming more a trend than a slump after a certain amount of games.Slumps is usually a one or two time thing and you pick it up the next time around but Rondo hasnt had one decent all-a-around game this season(imo).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:46:02 PM by housecall »

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2008, 12:49:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He definitely seems more complacent.  Even on defense, he's always going to be good, but I don't see him hounding the ball and forcing the action like he did last year.  The funny thing is Rondo says his goal is to be the best point guard in the league, but [dang], I'm really having trouble thinking of a worse shooting starting point guard- ever!  The God Shamgods and Omar Cooks don't stick in the league.

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2008, 12:59:18 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I thought we won in spite of him.
That's just not true, and I think you know it.

When Rondo plays well, the Celtics play well, and that's the way it was all last season. Being the pure point guard that he is, he is an expert at controlling the pace of the game, and getting others involved. And don't underrate what controlling the pace of the game, one of Rondo's best skills, can do for a team. This year, many of Rondo's problems appear to be mental:

- Not confident enough finishing on his drives
- Not confident enough taking his jumper
- Gambling too much on defense

But keep in mind that Rondo is most likely hampered by his injury right now, and that could be the cause of most of his problems, mental and physical.

The way people treat Rondo on this blog is riduclous. There seems to be a group of people who love this kid, and a group that's very anti-Rondo. Whether that's actually true or not, all I know is that when Rondo is playing well, people act like he's the best point guard in the league, and when he's not, people are practically ready to bring back Marcus Banks and Orion Greene to replace him. Steve Weinman made a good point - don't forget that he's only 22 years old! Let's try not to get too emotional about this, whether you like Rondo or not, and remember that there's still a lot of time for him to mature into the point guard that we all think he can be. For a guy who's only playing his second full year in the NBA, he's pretty [dang] good.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2008, 01:09:18 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Not sure it's confidence or an injury- he just can't throw a rock in the ocean at this point.  He's going to be inconsistent due to his age, but I think we'd like to see some development also.  Most of us have high hopes for the kid.

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2008, 01:11:58 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

We're not gonna win alot of games with rondo playing like this..Its PATHETIC guys...really he looks like the worst PG in the league right now....Pruitt needs to play

While I'll overlook "worst point guard in the league" as hyperbole, our starting point guard (who started for a championship team last year, showed flashes of brilliance and is in his third year in the league at age 22) starts the season in a slump, and we've won 80 percent of our first ten games.  And while whether he plays like a 'star' or anything close to it remains to be seen, the likelihood is certainly that he will play better through the season's last 72 games than he has so far. 

-sw

No question it is early to label his talent, however not the lack of effort. He has the ability to be a dominant defensive player and hustling rebounder every single night. All he has to do is put forth the effort. That way when his offense is horrid like it often is, he adds some value out there. Hustle and defensive intensity is about effort. Even poorly equipped defenders can be solid if they put in the effort. (see Eddie House) This is the same issue that PP has had the first part of the season. He was coasting defensively and it was hurting our team. The plain fact is that when we are hustling as a team defensively we will beat anyone, and blow teams out when our offense is clicking. We only lose when we don't put in the defensive effort or our offense is way off which isn't often.

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2008, 01:22:07 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Agree with EJPLAYA.  Rondo has the ability to have an impact whether his shot is falling or not. 

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2008, 01:43:56 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
I thought we won in spite of him.

You should watch some games sometime if this is what you think.

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2008, 01:57:23 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Rondo needs more confidence in his offense.  He drives a whole lot and makes unnecessary sometimes dangerous kick outs.  He is never looking for his shot, he should because he is open a WHOLE lot.

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12

-sw

Yes, you're right..but Rondo offensively just isnt very good... and if he did make strides to improve his game in the offseason, it isnt showing one bit.

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Rondo needs more confidence in his offense.  He drives a whole lot and makes unnecessary sometimes dangerous kick outs.  He is never looking for his shot, he should because he is open a WHOLE lot.

Yeah. There is a reason for that. It's called a scouting report. They know he can't hit the shot and are willing to back off him and let him shoot it. Then they can be quicker to the double team and are better able to prepare for him driving to the basket which is the only thing they worry about.

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Rondo set the bar very high for himself after being a part of a championship team and putting up the numbers he did at times in the finals... The whole "he's 22" thing is somewhat of a cop out (The bottom line is he should be better this year and his confidence shouldnt have deterioated into TA's confidence) , Kendrick Perkins has made more strides in his game than Rajon for crying out loud, and the main thing everyone was counting on this season was him getting better, because our big 3 arent getting better anytime soon, although Paul Pierce deserves alot of credit for coming back in better shape

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2008, 02:32:21 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

Yeah. There is a reason for that. It's called a scouting report. They know he can't hit the shot and are willing to back off him and let him shoot it. Then they can be quicker to the double team and are better able to prepare for him driving to the basket which is the only thing they worry about.

I know teams are purposely laying off so his man can be used for double teams.  That's why he needs to exert some confidence in his offensive game.  The first few games he was driving to the hoop and actually shooting layups and what not.  He hasn't done that so much, especially last night.  He just kept kicking it out with dangerous passes while he left his feet.

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2008, 02:39:47 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I know teams are purposely laying off so his man can be used for double teams.  That's why he needs to exert some confidence in his offensive game.  The first few games he was driving to the hoop and actually shooting layups and what not.  He hasn't done that so much, especially last night.  He just kept kicking it out with dangerous passes while he left his feet.

If your man gives you 5 or 6 feet of space daring you to make that shot you AREN'T going to beat him to the basket. That's why he is having to throw those passes. He isn't planning on passing it, but he is cut off and has no choice. Exerting confidence in your outside shot when you don't have one is exactly what the other team wants him to do. They know he can't hit more than about 30-40% from outside at best even when wide open so they are willing to give him that versus Perk or KG on the post, Ray shooting, or PP driving or pulling up. If you are the other squad that is EXACTLY what you want the guy to do. Rondo needs to focus on getting his teammates open shots vs. trying to create his own. Then put in the effort on the D and boards so he has a place out there.

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I'm starting to wonder if he's afraid to go to the hoop now.  I'm not talking about "maybe I won't make the shot" confidence, but actual fear.

Put it this way.  He's never been able to shoot.  That's been a part of his game through his entire career up to this point... yet until the last couple of games, he never really had any difficulty in getting to the basket.  All of a sudden, it seems like teams have changed their approach to Rondo a little bit.  When he drives now, they knock the crap out of him.  He goes to the line and hits one of two, but perhaps more importantly, he remembers what happened next time he penetrates.

I'm wondering if this is his problem more than anything else on offense.  Everybody on this forum winces every time he hits the floor hard - about three or four times every game up to this point.  I think maybe he's afraid of the contact now. 

As for his defense, Thibodeau should set him back in line.  He's playing to steal rather than to shut his man down, and it compromised the entire defense last night when Billups was getting by him whenever he wanted.  All of a sudden, Perk or Garnett have to come over to keep Chauncey away from the rim, and then the defense starts to scramble.

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2008, 04:38:47 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I'm still expecting him to continue to progress and his slow start is merely down to a niggling injury.