Author Topic: Really wanted Love...  (Read 6152 times)

Re: Really wanted Love...
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I personally still think there's a chance the Celtics can land Kevin Love. In my opinion the reason Rondo is still in Boston and hasn't been traded yet is because Kevin Love is still in Minny. If the Wolves trade love to a team other than the Celtics I think that's when you will see Rondo moved.
that might be true

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
One the one hand,

I suppose we could still try to get Love right up to the trade deadline.  The team would be worse next season and get a better draft pick and still have Love and also him willing to sign for a few more years.

On the other hand,

That might make it harder to get anything of value for Rondo.  I don't see us getting a lot for Rondo right at the deadline as he will be a "Rental".  It would be a big risk to stand Pat that long.  I would much rather just fish or cut bait on Love during the off season (and maybe only the early part of the off season) and then move on.  We could already be at that point.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't believe Love is going to be traded until the deadline -- and I think that's MIN's right move. Disagree that holding him shows Saunders' incompetence.

huh? how can waiting till the deadline be better? any potential trade partner will be getting a player that has said he's not signing anything before goes anywhere. which means a team that gets him realistically could be getting Love for less than half a season.

any team that gives them more at the deadline than what has been rumored thus far this off-season will be way overpaying. if any of the rumored teams interested in Love give them anything close to what may have been rumored this off-season they're overpaying. if the Celtics give them anything close to what had been rumored this off-season we're overpaying.

if Minny. offers up Love at the deadline they're all but saying we're desperate and made a mistake. which means they deserve to get low-balled.

(I always assume if MIN trades Love they will (or SHOULD) insist another team take Martin's contract too).

I've always assumed we or any team for that matter would have to take on Martin in any trade for Love.

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 02:15:36 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Not sure all hope is gone. Will see what other crazy deals are being made out there. Gortat for $12 mil. Irving for $18 mil. 8 mil. may not seem so bad; but seems too similar to the Jeff Green scenario only difference is Green managed to stay healthy, Bradley probably not. Tying up a lot of money on mid-level starting NBA talent. Wonder what the Spurs will offer Kawhi Leonard???

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »

Offline joepatsfan

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
We are not out of the race for Love. I will continue to hold out hope until he puts on a jersey other than the Wolves.

We have the best package to offer for Love. A rebuild package for Minny not a mediocrity package. We can offer AB, Sully, Olynyk, Bass or Green who are all relatively young, outside of BB and Green. We have first rounders on deck to offer.

AB + Sully OR Oly + '16BKN + '18BKN will get it done.

GSW isn't giving up Klay. Denver may be able to package a couple good players, but if Love doesn't give word on resigning the deal will be cut like the CLE deal.

We still have the best offer for the Wolves down the road.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 02:53:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't believe Love is going to be traded until the deadline -- and I think that's MIN's right move. Disagree that holding him shows Saunders' incompetence.

huh? how can waiting till the deadline be better? any potential trade partner will be getting a player that has said he's not signing anything before goes anywhere. which means a team that gets him realistically could be getting Love for less than half a season.

I don't think it will be until the deadline, but I think Love might not be dealt until it becomes obvious to Flip Saunders that they won't make the playoffs.  There's a decent chance that the Wolves will still be in the playoff hunt at the deadline.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 09:41:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
We are not out of the race for Love. I will continue to hold out hope until he puts on a jersey other than the Wolves.

We have the best package to offer for Love. A rebuild package for Minny not a mediocrity package. We can offer AB, Sully, Olynyk, Bass or Green who are all relatively young, outside of BB and Green. We have first rounders on deck to offer.

GSW isn't giving up Klay. Denver may be able to package a couple good players, but if Love doesn't give word on resigning the deal will be cut like the CLE deal.

No it won't.

If it could get it done, why hasn't that been offered yet?

I don't mind giving up 4 picks, as long as 2 of them are ours or Clippers.

The Nets picks are still a toss up as to whether or not their a lottery pick.

I'm holding out hope that we can still grab Love by the deadline or before FA ends... I really hope so. I think Love, and the addition of Smart/Young has a young nucleus, plus Rondo has a game where he can still play well into his late 30's. He won't be as agile or quick, but Rondo will be smart and crafty enough to make up for it, plus his length/wingspan should help.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The re-signing of Bradley pretty much confirmed to me that the Love deal is dead. Build from within, I also think Tony Allen or what he accomplished in Memphis might have also been a influential part of the contract.

I like the signing, wish it could've been 1 million less, but 23 year old with All Defense, and scoring averages rising every year still means Bradley has plenty of upside left.

Not necessarily.

Couldn't the Bradley signing be used as a sign and trade in a deal to get Love?

No.  He cannot be traded until January 15th.

Ok. I thought because these free agent signings don't become official til July 10th that the Celts could then flip Bradley in a trade between now and then.

I edited my post while you were replying to provide more clarity, but while yes, the contract isn't official until July 10th, if it were a sign-and-trade, Bradley would have negotiated with Minnesota, not Boston.  Boston can't say "surprise, you're going to Minnesota!"  They could technically pull the deal off table if Minnesota wanted AB and AB refused to go there, but that would really ruin their credibility with a lot of agents and players around the league, and AB would sign an offer sheet elsewhere.  So essentially, no.

We don't know the details of the contract yet. Jim Rome interviewed stevens today, brought up the Bradley signing, and said "I know you can't comment on it." Which could be they just can't talk about contracts until the  10th when every thing becomes efficial, or there is some thing in the works.

I find it funny they offered AB a little over 3M with the qualifying offer, but then jumped right up to what AB wanted, which was 8. Was there a team that made an other offer to bump it up that high? Wouldn't we have heard about that? I mean we've heard about Haywards Cav's potential offer, why not AB's yet? Could he have agreed to get his and go to Minni. Doesn't Minni seem like a team that would go for a deal like that? They wanted some one established, AB has been around for a while.

Alos I know Young was in a car accident, but I also remember that Flip said he liked guys that would go around the 17th. Why would they take Lavine at 13, when Warren,Harris and Young were all one the board, and are more NBA ready? Especially since Flip wants to compete now. Could that be whey Young is day to day? Maybe, maybe not.

I just hope Smart isn't part of the trade if it were to happen. I'm really warming up to the guy.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 10:18:01 PM »

Offline joepatsfan

• Payton Pritchard

No it won't.

I don't mind giving up 4 picks, as long as 2 of them are ours or Clippers.

The Nets picks are still a toss up as to whether or not their a lottery pick.

I'm holding out hope that we can still grab Love by the deadline or before FA ends... I really hope so. I think Love, and the addition of Smart/Young has a young nucleus, plus Rondo has a game where he can still play well into his late 30's. He won't be as agile or quick, but Rondo will be smart and crafty enough to make up for it, plus his length/wingspan should help.

From what we know, DA's best offer has been #6 and #17 and Olynyk.

There has been almost no buzz around trading for Kevin Love. GS has the best chance at him, but they know giving up Klay and Lee is stupid, so I do not see that deal happening.

As long as Chicago lands Melo or Chicago lands a big FA, they wont go after Love either.

The Nuggets wont trade because Love wont resign there. Same with CLE or any other Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. team.

Flip Saunders cannot just sit around and get nothing for Love, he just cant. He will be fired by then.. It would be asinine of him. Unless there is a darkhorse team with better assets, then fine but right know when it's all said and done the offer above will get the job done if golden state wont give up Klay or Barnes.

That's fact. Minny will be scrambling around looking for a buyer as Love continues to say he wont resign in various spots then boom, DA swoops in and makes it happen

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

No it won't.

Because that's a huge offer for Love.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 10:28:51 PM »

Offline joepatsfan

• Payton Pritchard
^^ Exactly. It is a huge offer. Like I said, as far as we know, DA has offered #6 #17 and Oly to flip.

Flip is asking for way too much. When push comes to shove and Minny needs a buyer and assets in return they will turn to us

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Giving up Klay Thompson and two years of David freaking Lee for Kevin Love is far from "stupid" for Golden State and would be an absolute heist by the Warriors.

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 10:44:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

No it won't.

Because that's a huge offer for Love.

I still think we're overrating our picks. Yes they have the chance of being lottery picks, but again, in the long run, there are still percentages/chances. There is always a slight chance that their picks could be a top 3 or 7-13.

I would give a '16 Brooklyn pick, and 1 of our Celtics pick/Clippers pick/Sully/KO/cap filler for Love any given day. I personally think the ability to keep Young/Smart is worth it any given day. Our back court would be super stacked, and all we would need to focus on would be Centers. Green can shine as a 3rd option, and he has done so in the playoffs/regular season with KG/Pierce forcing the defense to focus on them.
^^ Exactly. It is a huge offer. Like I said, as far as we know, DA has offered #6 #17 and Oly to flip.

Flip is asking for way too much. When push comes to shove and Minny needs a buyer and assets in return they will turn to us

Well who knows exactly what Flip wanted. I don't even know if he seriously knows what he wants.

Giving up Klay Thompson and two years of David freaking Lee for Kevin Love is far from "stupid" for Golden State and would be an absolute heist by the Warriors.

I don't think GSW is that enamored with Love. Yes hes an huge upgrade, but Klay/Lee are still a great part of their team. Adding a great back up PG in Shaun who can switch back and help on defense is a huge asset. I have always said that GSW is a dark horse contender, and a healthy Bogut with a nice bench would make them top 3 favorites over HOU as of now any given day.

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 12:06:32 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Going to bump this thread as it seems like our chances of grabbing Love is slim to zero/none.

I really wanted Love here, because for the first time an actual superstar wanted to play for us. Like it never really came out, but why all the speculation? Woj confirming or dropping bombs constantly, or even the questions referring to Celtics during interviews not allowed? I think Ainge was close or at least somewhat half way there to at least getting the right pieces moved, and Saunders held out stubbornly.

I think our chances are zero to be honest. Sullinger is a fat 280 pound PF, KO has potential, but hes still far away from contributing for a team. And our only viable assets like Smart/Young cannot be traded until a few months grace period.

I also wanted Love, because we would still be on the route/cusp of at least trying to contend. It seems like every passing day Rondo is on his way out. I just don't see him staying unless we have a verbal commitment from an superstar or a great Allstar to want to join us. Rondo is one of my favorite Celtics, and it very well may be his last season with us.

I still think a team of Love/Rondo could at least triumph over most teams in the West/East. That dream has slowly died, and now my suspiscions is that Ainge is going to rebuild long term. I trust Ainge though. With every bit of faith I have, I place in Ainge's hands, because I know a GM like him knows exactly what it takes to win.

I'm still going to pray and hope Love comes here. I really wish he would realize that Larry Bird under scrutiny, and criticisms for his back injuries, and how this white guy wouldn't pan out compared to players like Magic Johnson, etc, defied all odds and became one of the greatest small forwards to ever play the game. Above all, I hope at least Love thinks hard about the decision to be traded to CLE. I would love for him to come here, and be treated like royalty. But it seems like that perpetual day dream is slowly coming to an end.

Out with the old, and in with the new.

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 12:10:13 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Monkhouse, maybe we can trade Rondo to the Wolves for Rubio... that way you'd at least get a chance to watch the 48 win Rondo/Love duo do their thing. And maybe that'll prevent Flip from trading Love to the Cavs, but I sincerely doubt it.