Author Topic: Bucks (1-1) at Celtics (1-1) Round 2 Game 3 5/3/19  (Read 71847 times)

Re: Bucks (1-1) at Celtics (1-1) Round 2 Game 3 5/3/19
« Reply #1005 on: May 03, 2019, 11:23:11 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
We would've had to hit a ridiculously high % of shots to play through the refs. I get it that some want to take the high road and pretend they didn't decide this game. However we need to call a spade a spade. It wasn't even by a long shot. Im sorry but the bucks were playing 08 celtics level d without nearly the talent to do so. This was an absolute screwing and you all know it. Trust me guys, you won't lose anything by admitting it.

Either Giannis is the goat, or there was a bias tonight. There's no other options.

Let's start with the fact that our bench got destroyed by guys like Pat Connaughton and Ersan Ilyasova. At home no less.

Hayward and Rozier were awful, and Semi made some offensive plays that killed our runs. Baynes and Theis were non existent.
Semi imo was okay tonight-played with intensity and hit some threes. Sure he made boneheaded plays but that's expected of a third string forward who hasn't had much playing time.

He had a great start out there and then evened it all out with his dumb turnovers and poor shots down the stretch.
Yeah that was disappointing, but he wasn't a net negative at least.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1006 on: May 03, 2019, 11:23:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
We would've had to hit a ridiculously high % of shots to play through the refs. I get it that some want to take the high road and pretend they didn't decide this game. However we need to call a spade a spade. It wasn't even by a long shot. Im sorry but the bucks were playing 08 celtics level d without nearly the talent to do so. This was an absolute screwing and you all know it. Trust me guys, you won't lose anything by admitting it.

Either Giannis is the goat, or there was a bias tonight. There's no other options.

Let's start with the fact that our bench got destroyed by guys like Pat Connaughton and Ersan Ilyasova. At home no less.

Hayward and Rozier were awful, and Semi made some offensive plays that killed our runs. Baynes and Theis were non existent.
Semi imo was okay tonight-played with intensity and hit some threes. Sure he made boneheaded plays but that's expected of a third string forward who hasn't had much playing time.
yeah, Semi wasn't the problem.  I'd put that on the rest of the bench as well as Kyrie and Tatum.

« Reply #1007 on: May 03, 2019, 11:27:29 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
Sometimes we root for the second-best team.

« Reply #1008 on: May 03, 2019, 11:38:00 PM »

Offline Mingia

• NCE
  • Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
How frustrating.  I had Tommy Heinsohn syndrom.

« Reply #1009 on: May 03, 2019, 11:38:02 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
https://twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/1124510807881080832?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1124510807881080832&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Brad Stevens: "I don't complain about officials. We have a lot of things we have to work on."

Lol and there you have it. Dude is too soft to be a winning coach in the playoffs when it comes down to it. Virtually every other coach lobbies for their team, especially in the playoffs, sometimes even when they're not getting a noticeably bad whistle. But, no, not Brad; he's too principled (read: "soft") for that.

This is simply part of the game, especially in the playoffs, and he's not advocating for his team like he needs to by refusing to do this. #soft

JP, I think part of it is that it's a lot easier to complain about officiating as a fan. As a player/coach who is actually participating in the game, publicly complaining about officiating looks like sour grapes, particularly when others will point out that there were plenty of things you could have done better that was under your control. I think Brad also doesn't want the team to fall into the "we wuz robbed" mentality where they don't look at their own failings first before worrying about the failings of those appointed to control the game. Control what you can control has always been his philosophy.

Kyrie was also asked about it by the media, one guy from WEEI I think prefaced his question by "have you ever played in a game where the officiating was so one sided", Kyrie tried a couple of times to be diplomatic and say that officials have a tough job, that he doesn't want to complain about them, they have to look at the things that they can do better, etc, but the third time he got asked he told them what he really thought:

https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/1124516847653617664

So he said it and now it's big news. I just don't see how it's going to get the refs to change how they call the game. The absolute worst thing that can happen is they get frustrated, then they either commit even dumber fouls or get T'd up or it takes them out of their game (like what Jaylen and Jayson said after the game, that they let their frustration with the officials to affect their game). They have to go in expecting they're going to get bad calls and just incorporate them into the game plan.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1010 on: May 03, 2019, 11:39:04 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
At least one guy on our team knows how to play the game and actually has the stones to do it. Unfortunately, that guy is not our coach, whose responsibility that is.

https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/1124516847653617664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1124516847653617664&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

After Game 3 loss to Bucks, Celtics' Kyrie Irving on Giannis Antetokounmpo's free throw attempts: "He shot 22 on the game. It's getting ridiculous at this point. It's slowing the f---ing game down."

https://twitter.com/ClevisMurray/status/1124516362989314048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1124516362989314048&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

“It’s getting ridiculous. It’s slowing the fu*king game down.” - Kyrie Irving on Giannis’ 22 free-throw attempts

« Reply #1011 on: May 03, 2019, 11:41:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/1124510807881080832?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1124510807881080832&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Brad Stevens: "I don't complain about officials. We have a lot of things we have to work on."

Lol and there you have it. Dude is too soft to be a winning coach in the playoffs when it comes down to it. Virtually every other coach lobbies for their team, especially in the playoffs, sometimes even when they're not getting a noticeably bad whistle. But, no, not Brad; he's too principled (read: "soft") for that.

This is simply part of the game, especially in the playoffs, and he's not advocating for his team like he needs to by refusing to do this. #soft

JP, I think part of it is that it's a lot easier to complain about officiating as a fan. As a player/coach who is actually participating in the game, publicly complaining about officiating looks like sour grapes, particularly when others will point out that there were plenty of things you could have done better that was under your control. I think Brad also doesn't want the team to fall into the "we wuz robbed" mentality where they don't look at their own failings first before worrying about the failings of those appointed to control the game. Control what you can control has always been his philosophy.

Kyrie was also asked about it by the media, one guy from WEEI I think prefaced his question by "have you ever played in a game where the officiating was so one sided", Kyrie tried a couple of times to be diplomatic and say that officials have a tough job, that he doesn't want to complain about them, they have to look at the things that they can do better, etc, but the third time he got asked he told them what he really thought:

So he said it and now it's big news. I just don't see how it's going to get the refs to change how they call the game. The absolute worst thing that can happen is they get frustrated, then they either commit even dumber fouls or get T'd up or it takes them out of their game. They have to go in expecting they're going to get bad calls and just incorporate them into the game plan.
I think bringing attention to gross misconduct is never really a bad thing. If it looks like sour grapes so be it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1012 on: May 03, 2019, 11:48:54 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

So he said it and now it's big news. I just don't see how it's going to get the refs to change how they call the game. The absolute worst thing that can happen is they get frustrated, then they either commit even dumber fouls or get T'd up or it takes them out of their game. They have to go in expecting they're going to get bad calls and just incorporate them into the game plan.

It's all about perception, Oz. That's how you play the game. Officiating is already clearly oriented toward stars, so the league and officials are going to be sensitive to that. You strategically mention this stuff to keep the attention on it and make sure that the refs and league are cognizant of the officiating perception so that you avoid that blatantly biased third quarter situation like we had tonight.

But that should mainly be on the coach, not the players. There are ways to do that without coming off like Daryl Morey and the Rockets, but the fact that Stevens refuses to even consider doing that, putting it onto his players, just highlights his significant shortcomings as a coach and his refusal to consider anything outside of his preconceived gameplan/philosophy, which is pretty much the root cause of many of his shortcomings.

It's literally just part of the game, and every other coach does this. Stevens should be doing it, too, regardless of how uncomfortable it is for him.

« Reply #1013 on: May 03, 2019, 11:48:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It’s over.  Bring on the culling.

Cue a month and a half of Anthony Davis speculation.

Can you imagine this board if the draft passes and the Celts don't trade for him?  What about how things will look on July 5th if Kyrie has signed with the Knicks and the Celts haven't traded for anybody?

Going to be a fascinating, possibly horrible couple of months in Celtics fandom.

Certainly possible.  The draft picks are trash.  If Kyrie leaves we could be a 41 win team.

My guess is we are gutting this roster this summer and my guess is fans will not miss these players.

« Reply #1014 on: May 03, 2019, 11:49:55 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731

“It’s getting ridiculous. It’s slowing the fu*king game down.” - Kyrie Irving on Giannis’ 22 free-throw attempts

First thing out of Kyrie's mouth that I have liked since he led the "Let's Go Celtics" chant at his first public practice.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #1015 on: May 03, 2019, 11:51:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No shame in a 1-star team losing in round 2.  We already went further than Paul George took the Thunder and he had a second star in Russell Westbrook to help him.

« Reply #1016 on: May 03, 2019, 11:52:33 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Can you imagine this board if the draft passes and the Celts don't trade for him?  What about how things will look on July 5th if Kyrie has signed with the Knicks and the Celts haven't traded for anybody?

Going to be a fascinating, possibly horrible couple of months in Celtics fandom.

Certainly possible.  The draft picks are trash.  If Kyrie leaves we could be a 41 win team.

My guess is we are gutting this roster this summer and my guess is fans will not miss these players.

41-win team, make the playoffs in the weak east as an 8th seed and then get swept. Sounds like back to the mediocre dark days again.

Sometimes, I miss the Isaiah Thomas-led Celtics.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1017 on: May 03, 2019, 11:54:46 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I think bringing attention to gross misconduct is never really a bad thing. If it looks like sour grapes so be it

Phil Jackson complained about officiating quite a few times in his career, and he always was strategic about it—and it usually worked.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1018 on: May 04, 2019, 12:03:20 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

41-win team, make the playoffs in the weak east as an 8th seed and then get swept. Sounds like back to the mediocre dark days again.

Sometimes, I miss the Isaiah Thomas-led Celtics.

Lol 2-1 series and you guys are going Armageddon style already. Ridiculous.

« Reply #1019 on: May 04, 2019, 12:03:30 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
working the refs is part of game day coaching that CBS is clueless about. Calling timeouts is part of working the refs, he does not believe in that either.