Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 38775 times)

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2024, 11:53:17 AM »

Online mobilija

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 654
I'd take this comparison: 

https://www.celticsblog.com/2024/7/8/24194411/anton-watson-seems-himself-as-a-young-al-horford-boston-celtics-brad-stevens-summer-league

I like Watson a lot for this team. He is a swing glue guy. He?s a smart player. Moves to the right spots on offense, he helps other players generate assists by moving into open spots. He has some ability to create his own shot but gets most of his points by staying active and away from defenders. The high IQ also shows up on defense, perhaps more so. If his shooting efficiency can be good to very good, he?ll get minutes.

« Reply #376 on: July 09, 2024, 01:14:30 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 598
As someone who has watched Anton Watson his entire career at Gonzaga I see more Kyle Anderson (Slo Mo) than Horford. 

« Reply #377 on: July 09, 2024, 03:12:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1519
As someone who has watched Anton Watson his entire career at Gonzaga I see more Kyle Anderson (Slo Mo) than Horford.

Seems like a better athlete than Kyle Anderson, no?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #378 on: July 09, 2024, 04:18:18 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 598
He is a faster Kyle Anderson without the completely broken jumper.  He has very good defensive skills on the perimeter (great hands and reads passing lanes very well), solid positional defender that is switchable but unlike Horford he is not going to ever defend big centers like he does nor is he a good rim protector.  If you are going to trap ball handlers Watson would almost always be your 1st choice to do so.  Offensively he is a reluctant scorer that will often turn down open jumpers, he is a solid passer, decision maker and ball handler.  If he gets a foot in the door in the NBA he will be playing the 4.

« Reply #379 on: July 09, 2024, 05:56:02 PM »

Online mobilija

• Jim Loscutoff
He is a faster Kyle Anderson without the completely broken jumper.  He has very good defensive skills on the perimeter (great hands and reads passing lanes very well), solid positional defender that is switchable but unlike Horford he is not going to ever defend big centers like he does nor is he a good rim protector.  If you are going to trap ball handlers Watson would almost always be your 1st choice to do so.  Offensively he is a reluctant scorer that will often turn down open jumpers, he is a solid passer, decision maker and ball handler.  If he gets a foot in the door in the NBA he will be playing the 4.

Yeah, the Al Horford comparison is lazy, everyone is looking for the replacement. But sign me up for faster Kyle Anderson w shooting potential! He?s not gonna be a star or anything but I think he can fit in really well as a role player on this team. Agree he is a 4.

Anyway we can put Quetta and Watson into Jeff Goldblums ?The Fly? machine? Combine them to one player?

« Reply #380 on: July 09, 2024, 06:05:45 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 989
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Yeah, the Al Horford comparison is lazy, everyone is looking for the replacement. But sign me up for faster Kyle Anderson w shooting potential! He?s not gonna be a star or anything but I think he can fit in really well as a role player on this team. Agree he is a 4.

Anyway we can put Quetta and Watson into Jeff Goldblums ?The Fly? machine? Combine them to one player?
Watson himself said that.

« Reply #381 on: July 09, 2024, 06:22:53 PM »

Online mobilija

• Jim Loscutoff

Watson himself said that.

Sort of?  He says Kind of like the Al Horford role. The article and the poster that shared the article emphasized the comparison. It?s a pretty common narrative among Celtics fans and media to find the Al Horford replacement so it?s a bit of chicken or the egg thing. But regardless it?s still a sort of lazy sound bite regardless of who started it or who said it.

« Reply #382 on: July 10, 2024, 08:34:22 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 87

This is interesting, as Brad said he wants Watson to let it fly, and that he may not realize how good of a shooter he is/can become.

This is what's so great about the G-League.  Those games don't matter when it comes to wins and losses.  It's a place to get live-game action and put your practice habits to work. 

When Watson is in Maine they should set a goal that he shoots at least six three-pointers per game, so that he gets comfortable with just shooting that much (let alone making a fair percent).

« Reply #383 on: July 10, 2024, 09:13:29 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1220

Whoops, we now have a player with Watson's size and Queta's skill. Danny Ainge wants to sign him to a 4 year contract.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #384 on: July 10, 2024, 11:00:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25571
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
ClutchPoints: Jayson Tatum and A?ja Wilson on being on the cover of NBA 2K25: JT: ?I kind of cried a little bit? something I dreamed about came true.? AW: ?I don?t play video games and I might start now because my face is on the cover.? (via @OldManAndThree) pic.twitter.com/QUqVIIxXva

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes