Author Topic: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry  (Read 13923 times)

Re: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 10:56:47 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
But alas, the rebirth of this rivalry is too much to ignore.  I’m sure Eddie and the rest of my fans have many questions for me.  What’s it like being so right?  How does it feel to be a viral sensation to the thousands and thoouuusands of Redditors around the world?  How do I feel about the insufferably slow barren wasteland this forum became in absence of my luminous home dingers? - etc…  and I’d be happy to answer your queries in good time.

Ahahaha ;D. Even for you, this is too much, lol ;D #Epic.

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 10:56:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Can we re-visit  some classic posts from our friend?

Lol

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.  I know I whiffed from time to time.  For instance, I once argued that a healthy Jrue Holiday was better than Isaiah Thomas.  I'm still cleaning the egg off my face on that one ;)

I don't think so. IT has his health issues and holidays looked great in the first round
Oh [dang], I guess I was right on that one too.  Shucks.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 10:57:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
LB you thinking of becoming a moderator here?

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 11:00:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Lol

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.  I know I whiffed from time to time.  For instance, I once argued that a healthy Jrue Holiday was better than Isaiah Thomas.  I'm still cleaning the egg off my face on that one ;)
oh for sure. I’m pretty sure I hated the jaylen brown pick just like you did.

I’m going to go ahead and guess you have changed your mind since?  ;D

I didn't hate the Jaylen Brown pick.  I was one of the first to just throw my hands up and say "... whatever, I trust Ainge". 

I repeatedly told people I don't follow College basketball.  I had hear Brown was a "poor man's  Justice Winslow"... Just repeating what my bubble tea guy had told me.  Now, look... I respect the hell out of my bubble tea guy.  He knows his stuff.  But in this instance, he seemed to be overrating Winslow's potential (something Ainge did around that time as well).   Click a few pages later in that thread and you'll see me say:

Hey if ainge likes jaylen Brown more than Noel + Covington + two late 1sts, he must be pretty special.

So I'm cool with it.   Looking forward to the next few years of waiting to see him take a leap. 

I don't bother with college basketball but here is what I love about jaylen brown - he's 19 years old and over 6'4.

Really didn't want to draft an old man guard.

most of the stuff you read heading into the draft is nonsense.  The Dunn as consensus 3rd best player narrative happened out of nowhere.  A week ago it was established that it was a crap shoot.

About Brown:

hes got some size and he's 19.  I'm happy with it.  I heard he's a poor man's Winslow.  Ainge obviously wanted a guy like that.

I really didn't want to take some 23 year old 6'3 player.   We are good on little guys. 

I was also one of the first to say the kid could end up better than Jimmy Butler if developed properly.  I felt he had a far better future having been drafted onto a winning team than being selected by a bottomfeeder where he'd learn bad habits.   He's been pretty good.  I'm still happy with the pick. 

But let's not sling mud at ol larbrd here... Let's keep the focus on this renewed Sixer/Celtic rivalry and how wonderful it is that I've blessed this forum with my semi un-retirement.

Welcome back....question for you...how many times did you lurk here during your retirement?

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 11:03:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Lol

I don't think so. IT has his health issues and holidays looked great in the first round
Still think we should give up 3rd pick (I.e. Jaylen Brown) for Okafor?
Welcome back, LB.

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 11:04:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
You kidding?  Me... a moderator?  I'll be lucky to last the full 60 day temporary un-retirement without a "ban LarBrd" campaign sprouting up again. 

Just a friendly reminder, if anyone wants the instructions for how to put me on your ignore list, just send me a PM.   

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 11:06:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Lol

oh for sure. I’m pretty sure I hated the jaylen brown pick just like you did.

I’m going to go ahead and guess you have changed your mind since?  ;D

I didn't hate the Jaylen Brown pick.  I was one of the first to just throw my hands up and say "... whatever, I trust Ainge". 

I repeatedly told people I don't follow College basketball.  I had hear Brown was a "poor man's  Justice Winslow"... Just repeating what my bubble tea guy had told me.  Now, look... I respect the hell out of my bubble tea guy.  He knows his stuff.  But in this instance, he seemed to be overrating Winslow's potential (something Ainge did around that time as well).   Click a few pages later in that thread and you'll see me say:

Hey if ainge likes jaylen Brown more than Noel + Covington + two late 1sts, he must be pretty special.

So I'm cool with it.   Looking forward to the next few years of waiting to see him take a leap. 

I don't bother with college basketball but here is what I love about jaylen brown - he's 19 years old and over 6'4.

Really didn't want to draft an old man guard.

most of the stuff you read heading into the draft is nonsense.  The Dunn as consensus 3rd best player narrative happened out of nowhere.  A week ago it was established that it was a crap shoot.

About Brown:

hes got some size and he's 19.  I'm happy with it.  I heard he's a poor man's Winslow.  Ainge obviously wanted a guy like that.

I really didn't want to take some 23 year old 6'3 player.   We are good on little guys. 

I was also one of the first to say the kid could end up better than Jimmy Butler if developed properly.  I felt he had a far better future having been drafted onto a winning team than being selected by a bottomfeeder where he'd learn bad habits.   He's been pretty good.  I'm still happy with the pick. 

But let's not sling mud at ol larbrd here... Let's keep the focus on this renewed Sixer/Celtic rivalry and how wonderful it is that I've blessed this forum with my semi un-retirement.

Welcome back....question for you...how many times did you lurk here during your retirement?
I've kept in touch with some folks who PM me.  So if you've seen me lurking over the past year, it's probably because I was responding to them. 

What'd I miss?

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 11:11:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
You kidding?  Me... a moderator?  I'll be lucky to last the full 60 day temporary un-retirement without a "ban LarBrd" campaign sprouting up again. 

Just a friendly reminder, if anyone wants the instructions for how to put me on your ignore list, just send me a PM.   

I've heard whispers you are in condsideration

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 11:18:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Lol

Still think we should give up 3rd pick (I.e. Jaylen Brown) for Okafor?
Welcome back, LB.
Danny Ainge is my hero, but I think there's two (maybe three) clear instances where you could say "sometimes the best move is the one you don't make". 

#1 - The Charlotte trade where we reportedly offered up 4 first round picks to trade up for Winslow in the 2015 draft.  Have you done the math on that recently?  Several reports have said at least one Brooklyn pick was included.  Zach Lowe, Bill Simmons and others have said it was the 2016 Brooklyn 1st.   That made people cringe at the time and some fans in denial convinced themselves it was actually the 2017 Brooklyn 1st - until they saw that pick end up even better and reluctantly agreed it was the 2016 Brooklyn 1st.  The other picks in the offer had to have included #16 and #28 that year + one other pick (probably some protected 1st like the Clippers)...  So we're talking #16 (Rozier), #28 (Hunter - bust) and the Jaylen Brown pick.   Woof.  Glad that didn't happen.

#2 - Trade deadline 2015, Bulpett said we had offered a "package" built around the 2016 1st for Jahlil Okafor and the 76ers turned us down.   You can semi understand their logic there.  Sixers were getting a ton of heat at the time and it wouldn't have played well for them to dump a rookie averaging 17 and 7 for another "future pick".   But ooof... Sixers blew that one.  They ended up getting nothing for Okafor.  Looks like the kid just hasn't developed.  Might never develop.  Gotta say, me and Danny were wrong on that one.  Glad Philly turned us down.

#3 - The offers were reportedly made for Paul George at the middle of last season... sounds like it would have been a massive offer that would have included the 2017 pick.  I'm pretty happy with Tatum right now.  Glad we have that kid.

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 11:24:35 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
The world has not made sense following the trade dump of a great Bostonian hero and related acquisition of a[n individual] with the worst case of discomfort I've ever seen. 

Until now. 

Thank you, Hinkie, for reprieve during a cold and bleak winter.  And dearest LarBrd, I'm honored to have been likened to you at several points during your hiatus.  Let the keys be your palette, and the threads your Sistine Chapel.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 11:33:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
To tars. Thank you

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 11:36:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Clay/Tars, I've missed you both.  I didn't want you to suffer through Philly potentially sweeping us without me by your side. 

We die together, brothers.

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 11:45:59 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Embiid vs Horford
 Saric vs Morris
 Covington vs Tatum
 Reddick vs Smart
 Simmons vs Rozier

76ers group of giant white shooters have been on fire.  Bellineli, Illyisova, Reddick, Saric and throw in Covington and that's a lot of good shooting to deal with.

Celtics hopefully counter with a healthy Jaylen Brown and newly discovered lock down defender the Nigerian nightmare Semi, and Of course big d Baynes.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 11:51:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Embiid vs Horford
 Saric vs Morris
 Covington vs Tatum
 Reddick vs Smart
 Simmons vs Rozier

76ers group of giant white shooters have been on fire.  Bellineli, Illyisova, Reddick, Saric and throw in Covington and that's a lot of good shooting to deal with.

Celtics hopefully counter with a healthy Jaylen Brown and newly discovered lock down defender the Nigerian nightmare Semi, and Of course big d Baynes.

Merely an overture prior to the epic multi-year opera that will potentially be:

Embiid vs Horford
Saric vs Tatum
LeBron vs Hayward
Kawhi vs Brown
Simmons vs Kyrie

... I have a genuine fear that Philly offers up a package of Covington + #10 + Fultz for Kawhi Leonard this Summer and uses the cap space to add LeBron.

I said over a year ago that Philly was a wildcard Bron destination contingent on Embiid/Simmons getting healthy, those two living up to expectations, and the team flirting with the playoffs.  I was laughed at.  It doesn't seem so far-fetched now. 

This rivalry is just beginning.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:59:29 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 12:00:46 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
We need to pick a young big with potential fast lol
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA