Poll

Poll: Which Celtic will show the biggest improvement this season compared to their NBA performance last season?

Kemba Walker
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown
Marcus Smart
Gordon Hayward
Enes Kanter
Daniel Theis
Robert Williams III
Semi Ojeleye
Brad Wanamaker

Author Topic: Poll: Which Celtic will show the biggest improvement this season?  (Read 5873 times)

Re: Poll: Which Celtic will show the biggest improvement this season?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 10:59:32 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Hayward will be a return to normalcy, I don't think of that as "improvement."

I cast my vote for the Time Lord, Sir Robert the Third.

Agreed with the perspective that Hayward returning to his prior form is more a return to form than improvement.

I'm surprised at the lack of votes for Jaylen Brown. He's my dark horse candidate.

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I vote for Tatum.

Too talented a player to have another disappointing season.

He just needs to get more aggressive on both ends of the floor. If he does, he becomes the player he's capable of.

Too bad he'll probably be playing out of position as the starting PF, but oh well.
Agree with the bolded, his size and length would be a handful for SFs to handle. People talk about PFs not being able to keep up with his speed, but honestly most PFs are big wings nowadays, with exceptions being guys like Griffin and Porzingis, both of which are guys that Tatum can't handle on defense. It'd be a different story if Tatum grows a bit more and put on some Giannis/Bron level bulk though.

In addition to drafting Grant Williams, I'm surprised Ainge didn't draft another power forward in this year's draft (especially when there was a very good chance Horford was leaving.)

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 12:47:24 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I vote for Tatum.

He just needs to get more aggressive on both ends of the floor. If he does, he becomes the player he's capable of.

Too bad he'll probably be playing out of position as the starting PF, but oh well.
Agree with the bolded, his size and length would be a handful for SFs to handle. People talk about PFs not being able to keep up with his speed, but honestly most PFs are big wings nowadays, with exceptions being guys like Griffin and Porzingis, both of which are guys that Tatum can't handle on defense. It'd be a different story if Tatum grows a bit more and put on some Giannis/Bron level bulk though.

In addition to drafting Grant Williams, I'm surprised Ainge didn't draft another power forward in this year's draft (especially when there was a very good chance Horford was leaving.)

That's why it's not far-fetched that Ainge will be targeting Kevin Love or Sabonis.

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
My initial reaction (and vote) was for Semi Ojeleye.   I think he has the potential and will certainly have the opportunity to emerge as a rotation big.  After voting, I saw that most voted for Hayward.  That is certainly fair also but for very different reasons.  He is more getting back to who he was but if you only compare to last season, he may well show great improvement (while maybe still not being at the level he once was).  Semi can set a new high or a new personal best

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 05:25:47 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I will say this though, if we're able to have this debate at the end of the season, the C's will have had a very good year.  if we only have one clearcut choice, I don't think we'll have had a particularly good year.

I think that there’s some wisdom in this.

My initial reaction (and vote) was for Semi Ojeleye.   I think he has the potential and will certainly have the opportunity to emerge as a rotation big. 

I voted for Robert Williams, but I would agree that Ojeleye has got a chance. Of course just how “showing improvement” is measured makes a big difference. And I think that you’re right to point out that he’s got an opportunity to take the next step, now that Morris is gone.

Carsen Edwards is going to be our backup guard at some point in the season, I think as well.

I think you’re right. The quicker he can win the confidence of the coaching staff, the sooner he can step into the Terry Rozier role.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 07:00:26 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Carsen Edwards will be talked a lot during the season.

His only weakness is he's not tall.

No doubt in my mind Edwards will play a lot and score a lot for the Cs this season.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 07:55:15 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
I know most people will expect either Tatum or Brown or both to make the jump, or Hayward to return to form, but I'm going with Kanter. I think Stevens is going to maximize his potential and make him look like a borderline all-star this season.

I guess Kanter feels like he will make the big time if he can just dunk on Tacko Fall.  He said he has waited all summer for it. 
https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/09/18/boston-celtics-enes-kanter-tacko-fall-dunk-practice-knee-injury/

Actually Tacko Fall should prove that he will make the most improvement.  Kanter's comment sounds like he is afraid of losing his job to Tacko.  Tacko, if given support instead, is the next greek freak waiting to happen.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 09:21:10 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Looks like Hayward is running away with this so far.

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 10:39:38 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think Hayward, too. I think he’s a much better player than anyone not named Kemba. I think he could even be regarded the Celtics best player by the end of the year.

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2019, 01:13:48 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I didnt vote because you did not have Carsen Edwards as a choice. He will be the most improved when Brad unleashes him.

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2019, 02:13:06 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I didnt vote because you did not have Carsen Edwards as a choice. He will be the most improved when Brad unleashes him.

According to the thread, rookies are not included because they did not play for the Celts last season.
Only players that played last season are included in the poll.

But I agree with you, Carsen is going to be a beast.
NBA fans will be talking about how good Carsen Edwards is by the All-Star break.

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I think Tatum is going to have the ball in his hands a lot more and be allowed to run more pick-and-rolls and be in more positions that suit his strengths. So I voted him, if only for reasons of circumstance.

But, as others have said, if the answer at the end of the season is Robert Williams, that would be really, really great for this team and its future.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2019, 05:36:45 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
If Tremont Waters learns how to stay in front of defenders - I pick him.

He's the most talented ball handler and natural team leader on the court.

Unfortunately, his defense will likely keep him in Maine.

His shooting is streaky, but many NBA players fall into the same category. His expertise is running the offense and being a pesky defender. I'm rooting for him. 

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2019, 06:38:54 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I vote for Tatum.

That's why it's not far-fetched that Ainge will be targeting Kevin Love or Sabonis.

I guess I would say, rather: that’s not the reason that Ainge will not be targeting Love or Sabonis.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I feel it will be Hayward.

I hope he gets the opportunity for his confidence to grow. With Brown playing for a contract, Tatum again trying to proove last year was a back-step in his development, and Walker just being himself, I wonder if touches will be a problem on this team with certain lineups on the floor.

Someone may have to play the Klay Thompson role. 

PS Hoping it will be Sobinis, don't love Love.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 08:16:05 PM by Rosco917 »