Author Topic: Pitino settles with Louisville, seeks 'new chapter'  (Read 8943 times)

Re: Pitino settles with Louisville, seeks 'new chapter'
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 06:09:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
another place to ruin .........

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 12:45:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Pervis Ellison ain't walking through that door.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
ah yes because Kentucky was ruined.  heck, Louisville was awful before he got there, so didn't exactly ruin them either. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 04:30:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
ah yes because Kentucky was ruined.  heck, Louisville was awful before he got there, so didn't exactly ruin them either. 

Louisville had their title vacated, and suspended.  I suppose you think that was a good job?  You a big fan of luring recruits with prostitutes, too?

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/02/20/louisville-basketball-ncaa-infractions-appeal-ruling/1032556001/

His tenure here was ruinous as well.

Denny Crum won a title at Louisville so I don't know what your talking about them being a bad program prior.

Louisville (1971–2001)

In 1971, Crum was hired as head coach by the University of Louisville, taking over from John Dromo. Although there had been substantial national success under Bernard "Peck" Hickman, it was under Crum that the University of Louisville became a consistent college basketball power. By 1972, Crum had taken his first team to the NCAA Final Four, where his team lost to John Wooden's UCLA team. Crum would go on to lead the Louisville Cardinals to five more final fours (1975, 1980, 1982, 1983, and 1986). He is tied for sixth all-time in number of final four appearances with Adolph Rupp and Tom Izzo. They rank behind John Wooden, Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, and Rick Pitino.[5]

On March 24, 1980, the Cardinals became NCAA Tournament champions after defeating Crum's alma mater, UCLA, 59–54. Crum's 1980 national champions have been credited with popularizing the High-5.[6] Six years later, Louisville would overcome Duke 72–69 for a second title largely because of the talented play of "Never Nervous" Pervis Ellison. Crum is one of only eleven coaches to achieve two or more national championships.[7] In 30 seasons, Crum took the Cardinals to 23 NCAA tournaments, where they had an overall record of 43-21.

While in the Metro Conference, the Cardinals won 12 regular season titles and 11 tournament championships. In its 19 years of naming a champion, the Metro had Louisville as first or second place 17 times.

In 1993, Crum became the second fastest coach to reach 500 wins.[8] He ranks 16th in overall Division I wins.

Perhaps you did not follow college basketball?

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 05:14:59 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Louisville had their title vacated, and suspended.  I suppose you think that was a good job?  You a big fan of luring recruits with prostitutes, too?

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/02/20/louisville-basketball-ncaa-infractions-appeal-ruling/1032556001/

His tenure here was ruinous as well.

Denny Crum won a title at Louisville so I don't know what your talking about them being a bad program prior.

Louisville (1971–2001)

In 1971, Crum was hired as head coach by the University of Louisville, taking over from John Dromo. Although there had been substantial national success under Bernard "Peck" Hickman, it was under Crum that the University of Louisville became a consistent college basketball power. By 1972, Crum had taken his first team to the NCAA Final Four, where his team lost to John Wooden's UCLA team. Crum would go on to lead the Louisville Cardinals to five more final fours (1975, 1980, 1982, 1983, and 1986). He is tied for sixth all-time in number of final four appearances with Adolph Rupp and Tom Izzo. They rank behind John Wooden, Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, and Rick Pitino.[5]

On March 24, 1980, the Cardinals became NCAA Tournament champions after defeating Crum's alma mater, UCLA, 59–54. Crum's 1980 national champions have been credited with popularizing the High-5.[6] Six years later, Louisville would overcome Duke 72–69 for a second title largely because of the talented play of "Never Nervous" Pervis Ellison. Crum is one of only eleven coaches to achieve two or more national championships.[7] In 30 seasons, Crum took the Cardinals to 23 NCAA tournaments, where they had an overall record of 43-21.

While in the Metro Conference, the Cardinals won 12 regular season titles and 11 tournament championships. In its 19 years of naming a champion, the Metro had Louisville as first or second place 17 times.

In 1993, Crum became the second fastest coach to reach 500 wins.[8] He ranks 16th in overall Division I wins.

Perhaps you did not follow college basketball?
Or maybe I do.  Louisville had a losing record the 4 seasons before Pitino arrived.  Crum hung around too long and it showed (happens a lot).  That losing record was of course in CUSA.  Pitino took Louisville from CUSA, to the Big East, to the ACC.  All significant upgrades in money, prestige, etc.  And during that time Louisville was still winning.  Sure, they "lost" the national title, but the program has not only had a winning record, it has a winning ACC record in the 2 years since Pitino was fired.  Not exactly what I would call ruining a program when it ends up in the best conference in the sport and has a winning record in said conference.  They also had no problem at all drawing Chris Mack away from Xavier, you know an elite program that was in the Big East (a traditional elite basketball conference).  Again, not exactly a sign of ruining a program. 

Hawaii ended up just fine post-Pitino.  Boston ended up just fine post-Pitino.  Providence ended up just fine post-Pitino.  Kentucky ended up just fine post-Pitino.  Louisville ended up just fine post-Pitino.  In fact in many of those cases, the schools found greater success post-Pitino then with Pitino. 

Pitino didn't ruin anything.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Boston ended up just fine post-Pitino

He sat back for years, get real.  His era was a really bad one for Celtics basketball.   All the knee jerk moves and trading talent for nothing.

I was wrong about Chauncey Billups," Rick Pitino will say. "I misread his game. I thought he was my kind of point guard, but he wasn't. It was a mistake to pick him third in the draft. Maybe I tend to overrate players I tried but failed to recruit at Kentucky. You know, the unrequited love syndrome. Whatever it was, I messed up."

In October, one month after he signed Cavaliers free agent Chris Mills to a seven-year, $33.7 million contract and declared him the stabilizing veteran influence his young Celtics needed, Pitino traded Mills to the Knicks for Walter McCarty, Thomas and Dontae Jones.

Mills wasn't exactly an unknown quantity, having played seven years in the league, but when Pitino dumped him, the coach privately acknowledged Mills couldn't run the floor, and therefore didn't fit into the Celtics' system, the way he had thought.

Now, less than eight months after picking Billups third overall (after Tim Duncan and Keith Van Horn) in the draft, Pitino, who preaches patience, has given up on Billups, his 21-year-old point guard.

It certainly wasn't because of anything Billups did off the court -- "He's a 17-star person on a 10-star scale," Pitino said. It was because Billups, trying to learn the hardest position in basketball, was struggling. Improving, but still struggling. Like the 76ers' Allen Iverson, Billups entered the NBA as a point guard with a shooting guard's mentality. Unlike Iverson, the coachable Billups was happy to try to change.

While Pitino may be one of the best at developing talent, the Mills and Billups missteps call into question his shrewdness in judging talent.

Like most coaches, he knows his own talent best. Ron Mercer, whom Pitino coached at Kentucky and drafted with his other No. 1 pick (sixth overall), looks like a future All-Star. And McCarty, while no future All-Star -- he would be the eighth man on a good team -- supplies points (10.2) rebounds (4.5) and an infectious energy. And, of course, former Kentucky star Antoine Walker's(21.8 points a game, 10.5 rebounds) improvement under Pitino has been staggering.

The inclusion of eight-year veteran Dee Brown in the Anderson deal means that of the 17 players on M.L. Carr's 1996- 97 roster, only --Dana Barros, Greg Minor and Pervis Ellison--remain. Last season's captain, Rick Fox, one of nine free agents renounced in July so a harried Pitino could free enough money to sign Travis Knight, is starting for the Lakers. David Wesley, unwanted by Pitino, is the Hornets' starting point guard. Eric Williams is on the Nuggets' injured list. Dino Radja is playing in Europe.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1998-02-22-9802220230-story.html

ALAN GREENBERG; Courant Staff WriterTHE HARTFORD COURANT Feb 2 1998

Defend those moves, I'll Wait.  But he was a very poor Celtics GM in the grand scope of things.   I give him credit for PP draft but that is about it.

None other than the Hardwood Houdini Agrees

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2015/07/30/dishonoring-the-worst-celtics-coach-of-all-time-rick-pitino/

He is a total con man.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 06:38:26 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Boston ended up just fine post-Pitino

He sat back for years, get real.  His era was a really bad one for Celtics basketball.   All the knee jerk moves and trading talent for nothing.

I was wrong about Chauncey Billups," Rick Pitino will say. "I misread his game. I thought he was my kind of point guard, but he wasn't. It was a mistake to pick him third in the draft. Maybe I tend to overrate players I tried but failed to recruit at Kentucky. You know, the unrequited love syndrome. Whatever it was, I messed up."

In October, one month after he signed Cavaliers free agent Chris Mills to a seven-year, $33.7 million contract and declared him the stabilizing veteran influence his young Celtics needed, Pitino traded Mills to the Knicks for Walter McCarty, Thomas and Dontae Jones.

Mills wasn't exactly an unknown quantity, having played seven years in the league, but when Pitino dumped him, the coach privately acknowledged Mills couldn't run the floor, and therefore didn't fit into the Celtics' system, the way he had thought.

Now, less than eight months after picking Billups third overall (after Tim Duncan and Keith Van Horn) in the draft, Pitino, who preaches patience, has given up on Billups, his 21-year-old point guard.

It certainly wasn't because of anything Billups did off the court -- "He's a 17-star person on a 10-star scale," Pitino said. It was because Billups, trying to learn the hardest position in basketball, was struggling. Improving, but still struggling. Like the 76ers' Allen Iverson, Billups entered the NBA as a point guard with a shooting guard's mentality. Unlike Iverson, the coachable Billups was happy to try to change.

While Pitino may be one of the best at developing talent, the Mills and Billups missteps call into question his shrewdness in judging talent.

Like most coaches, he knows his own talent best. Ron Mercer, whom Pitino coached at Kentucky and drafted with his other No. 1 pick (sixth overall), looks like a future All-Star. And McCarty, while no future All-Star -- he would be the eighth man on a good team -- supplies points (10.2) rebounds (4.5) and an infectious energy. And, of course, former Kentucky star Antoine Walker's(21.8 points a game, 10.5 rebounds) improvement under Pitino has been staggering.

The inclusion of eight-year veteran Dee Brown in the Anderson deal means that of the 17 players on M.L. Carr's 1996- 97 roster, only --Dana Barros, Greg Minor and Pervis Ellison--remain. Last season's captain, Rick Fox, one of nine free agents renounced in July so a harried Pitino could free enough money to sign Travis Knight, is starting for the Lakers. David Wesley, unwanted by Pitino, is the Hornets' starting point guard. Eric Williams is on the Nuggets' injured list. Dino Radja is playing in Europe.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1998-02-22-9802220230-story.html

ALAN GREENBERG; Courant Staff WriterTHE HARTFORD COURANT Feb 2 1998

Defend those moves, I'll Wait.  But he was a very poor Celtics GM in the grand scope of things.   I give him credit for PP draft but that is about it.

None other than the Hardwood Houdini Agrees

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2015/07/30/dishonoring-the-worst-celtics-coach-of-all-time-rick-pitino/

He is a total con man.
I meant Boston University, but since you brought up the Celtics you can't just focus on the poor moves Pitino made either.  When he left and as a direct result of Pitino's moves, Boston had 2 extra 1st round picks (Wallace messed those up), Pierce, Anderson, Potapenko, Battie, McCarty, Blount, and basically the entire core of those early 2000's C's teams that made the Conference Finals (Walker was really the only guy Pitino didn't draft though he did re-sign him and then the trades Wallace made using Pitino's players to "improve" the team).  Pitino obviously wasn't the best GM in the world and he never should have been given that much power, but he is far from the worse coach or worse GM this franchise has had. 

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 06:56:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I forgot how good Mark Blount was prior to his contract year?   Just kidding. 

I could post quite a few articles how bad of a GM he was for us but I think this one sums it up the best.   

Pitino took the reins after the 15-win 1996-97 campaign and was looking at getting the prize of the draft, Wake Forest’s Tim Duncan. As we all know, the ping-pong balls did not go the Celtics way and they wound up with the third pick. The San Antonio Spurs got the No. 1 pick and took Duncan and the rest is history. Pitino has long lamented that turn of events. The Celtics had the worst record and Pitino expected to get the No. 1 pick – Duncan. But what he didn’t appreciate at the time was the guy he did get, Chauncey Billups at No. 3.

I don’t have to tell you about Billups’ credentials. We all know how great a player he turned out to be. He would never have the opportunity to be great with the Celtics because Pitino traded him 51 games into his NBA career to the Toronto Raptors for Kenny Anderson, among others.

Anderson was a good player, but he never became anywhere near the player that Billups was. Billups was a five-time all-star, three-time All-NBA selection, two-time all-defensive team selection, NBA champion, and 2004 Finals MVP. As Billups explained in an article he penned for The Player’s Tribune, it was a desperation move by Pitino.

So, instead of having a nucleus of Billups and Walker, they had Walker and Anderson. They did not make the playoffs that year, finishing 36-46 – 12th in the Eastern Conference. That brought Pitino another lottery pick, and once again, he hit a home run by getting Paul Pierce.

Obviously, Pierce became a great player, finishing his career as the second all-time leading scorer in franchise history. He was a 10-time all-star, four-time All-NBA selection, NBA champion, 2008 Finals MVP, to name a few of his career highlights. Pierce had a great rookie year but the young Celtics only went 19-31 in a lockout-shortened year. Walker, Pierce, and Billups would have been a nice nucleus heading into the 1999 season, but it was just Walker and Pierce.

One of the worst moves that Pitino happened in the 1998-99 season. He traded journeyman center Andrew DeClerq and a top-3 protected first-round pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers for a slightly better journeyman center, Vitaly Potapenko. The Celtics were once again in the lottery which would have given them to 8th pick in the 1999 draft, but now, thanks to the Potapenko deal, the Cavs had the 8th pick. They selected guard Andre Miller, who had a long and successful 17-year NBA career. Or the Celtics could have taken Shawn Marion or Jason Terry, who were picked No. 9 and No. 10, respectively, that year. But for the purpose of this hypothetical, let’s say they took Miller.

So, had he kept the picks – the Celtics would have had a backcourt of Billups and Miller and a frontcourt of Walker and Pierce. Instead, they had Walker, Pierce, Potapenko, and Anderson.

The Celtics went 35-47 that year and missed the playoffs again, setting up what turned out to be Pitino’s final lottery pick in 2000. At No. 11 he took Jerome Moiso, who you’ve probably never heard of – for good reason. That was probably the worst draft class in recent NBA history so you really can’t fault him much there.

Pitino quit after going 12-22 to start the 2000-2001 season and Jim O’Brien took over. The Celtics finished that season with a record of 36-46.

In 2001, with Pitino gone, the Celtics made another great draft pick by taking Joe Johnson at No. 10. Again, I don’t have to tell you how good a player Joe Johnson turned out to be. Johnson was a seven-time NBA all-star and was selected once to the all-NBA team in his 17-year NBA career. He’s actually trying to make a comeback this year by earning a tryout with the Sixers.

The Celtics went on to have a good year in 2001-02, finishing 49-33 and making it to the Eastern Conference Finals, where they lost the Nets in six games. But they traded Johnson after 48 games for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk. While Rogers and Delk did help them reach the ECFs, the gain was short-lived. After that season, Anderson and Potapenko were traded away and Rogers left in free agency.

So the players they got for Billups, Miller, and Johnson were all gone. Had they kept those players, the Celtics would have had a nucleus of Walker, Pierce, Billups, Miller, and Joe Johnson – with Tony Battie at center. If those players had been allowed to mature and gel, the Celtics would have been conference contenders for years to come.

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2019/09/02/boston-celtics-rick-pitino-what-if/

College Wise , stuff on Hawaii

Rick Pitino committed eight NCAA violations, then misled the NCAA, and it was bad enough and ugly enough that the NCAA recommended the school disassociate itself from him.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/27/louisville-coach-rick-pitino-ousted

This was in 1977. Pitino was an assistant at Hawaii.

When the NCAA put UH on probation for two years in 1977, Pitino was implicated in eight of the 64 violations cited.

https://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/quick-reads/why-do-some-hawaii-fans-dislike-rick-pitino/

Great summary of this college violations.
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/photo/2017/09/27/rick-pitino-most-controversial-moments#9

So he did great at Kentucky and Providence, but got caught in Hawaii and Louisville.   50% of the time he acting like a sleezeball and got programs in trouble.   Not a great track record at all, when you leave a place with vacated titles or sanctioned is not good no matter how it is twisted.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 08:44:04 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I forgot how good Mark Blount was prior to his contract year?   Just kidding. 

I could post quite a few articles how bad of a GM he was for us but I think this one sums it up the best.   

Pitino took the reins after the 15-win 1996-97 campaign and was looking at getting the prize of the draft, Wake Forest’s Tim Duncan. As we all know, the ping-pong balls did not go the Celtics way and they wound up with the third pick. The San Antonio Spurs got the No. 1 pick and took Duncan and the rest is history. Pitino has long lamented that turn of events. The Celtics had the worst record and Pitino expected to get the No. 1 pick – Duncan. But what he didn’t appreciate at the time was the guy he did get, Chauncey Billups at No. 3.

I don’t have to tell you about Billups’ credentials. We all know how great a player he turned out to be. He would never have the opportunity to be great with the Celtics because Pitino traded him 51 games into his NBA career to the Toronto Raptors for Kenny Anderson, among others.

Anderson was a good player, but he never became anywhere near the player that Billups was. Billups was a five-time all-star, three-time All-NBA selection, two-time all-defensive team selection, NBA champion, and 2004 Finals MVP. As Billups explained in an article he penned for The Player’s Tribune, it was a desperation move by Pitino.

So, instead of having a nucleus of Billups and Walker, they had Walker and Anderson. They did not make the playoffs that year, finishing 36-46 – 12th in the Eastern Conference. That brought Pitino another lottery pick, and once again, he hit a home run by getting Paul Pierce.

Obviously, Pierce became a great player, finishing his career as the second all-time leading scorer in franchise history. He was a 10-time all-star, four-time All-NBA selection, NBA champion, 2008 Finals MVP, to name a few of his career highlights. Pierce had a great rookie year but the young Celtics only went 19-31 in a lockout-shortened year. Walker, Pierce, and Billups would have been a nice nucleus heading into the 1999 season, but it was just Walker and Pierce.

One of the worst moves that Pitino happened in the 1998-99 season. He traded journeyman center Andrew DeClerq and a top-3 protected first-round pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers for a slightly better journeyman center, Vitaly Potapenko. The Celtics were once again in the lottery which would have given them to 8th pick in the 1999 draft, but now, thanks to the Potapenko deal, the Cavs had the 8th pick. They selected guard Andre Miller, who had a long and successful 17-year NBA career. Or the Celtics could have taken Shawn Marion or Jason Terry, who were picked No. 9 and No. 10, respectively, that year. But for the purpose of this hypothetical, let’s say they took Miller.

So, had he kept the picks – the Celtics would have had a backcourt of Billups and Miller and a frontcourt of Walker and Pierce. Instead, they had Walker, Pierce, Potapenko, and Anderson.

The Celtics went 35-47 that year and missed the playoffs again, setting up what turned out to be Pitino’s final lottery pick in 2000. At No. 11 he took Jerome Moiso, who you’ve probably never heard of – for good reason. That was probably the worst draft class in recent NBA history so you really can’t fault him much there.

Pitino quit after going 12-22 to start the 2000-2001 season and Jim O’Brien took over. The Celtics finished that season with a record of 36-46.

In 2001, with Pitino gone, the Celtics made another great draft pick by taking Joe Johnson at No. 10. Again, I don’t have to tell you how good a player Joe Johnson turned out to be. Johnson was a seven-time NBA all-star and was selected once to the all-NBA team in his 17-year NBA career. He’s actually trying to make a comeback this year by earning a tryout with the Sixers.

The Celtics went on to have a good year in 2001-02, finishing 49-33 and making it to the Eastern Conference Finals, where they lost the Nets in six games. But they traded Johnson after 48 games for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk. While Rogers and Delk did help them reach the ECFs, the gain was short-lived. After that season, Anderson and Potapenko were traded away and Rogers left in free agency.

So the players they got for Billups, Miller, and Johnson were all gone. Had they kept those players, the Celtics would have had a nucleus of Walker, Pierce, Billups, Miller, and Joe Johnson – with Tony Battie at center. If those players had been allowed to mature and gel, the Celtics would have been conference contenders for years to come.

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2019/09/02/boston-celtics-rick-pitino-what-if/

College Wise , stuff on Hawaii

Rick Pitino committed eight NCAA violations, then misled the NCAA, and it was bad enough and ugly enough that the NCAA recommended the school disassociate itself from him.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/27/louisville-coach-rick-pitino-ousted

This was in 1977. Pitino was an assistant at Hawaii.

When the NCAA put UH on probation for two years in 1977, Pitino was implicated in eight of the 64 violations cited.

https://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/quick-reads/why-do-some-hawaii-fans-dislike-rick-pitino/

Great summary of this college violations.
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/photo/2017/09/27/rick-pitino-most-controversial-moments#9

So he did great at Kentucky and Providence, but got caught in Hawaii and Louisville.   50% of the time he acting like a sleezeball and got programs in trouble.   Not a great track record at all, when you leave a place with vacated titles or sanctioned is not good no matter how it is twisted.
That isn't what you argued and are now changing your argument.  You said he ruined the programs.  He did not ruin programs.  Even Louisville was not ruined as it is in the ACC and just drew a coach from a dominant Big East program.   

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
He is a scumbag who left two schools with suspensions.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
He is a scumbag who left two schools with suspensions.
yep. that's it. nothing more can be added. mods! you might as well lock this thread.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva