Author Topic: Picking up Bowen or Oberto  (Read 8231 times)

Picking up Bowen or Oberto
« on: February 14, 2009, 11:31:20 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
It sounds like San Antonio might really pick up Vince Carter.  They would then evidently wave Bruce Bowen and Oberto.  I wonder if we would want and/or have a chance to sign Bowen to help defend the Joe Johnsons, Lebrons, and Kobes in the playoffs.  I am not real impressed with Oberto, but he is a big.

Thoughts?

Sorry if this topic has already been brought up.

Smitty77

Re: Picking up Bowen or Oberto
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think both would be really nice pickups

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i would take both...and if the spurs load up then great....anyone but the lakers

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'd take both. Oberto would give us a back-up center and is productive when he plays.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yes, I would take both, and cut Sam Cassell and POB.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:25:12 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
agreed. both would make some sense for this club, tho one or both might get the 'wink wink' from san an to return after 30 days...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
agreed. both would make some sense for this club, tho one or both might get the 'wink wink' from san an to return after 30 days...
quick question: when is the deadline for a player to be on a team in order to play in the playoffs?
this would affect the wink-wink.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 12:37:50 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Those two additions would be great.  But if those guys are waived, the Lakers will be first in line for Oberto.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 12:38:29 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
getting bowen would KILL me. i hate him. i truthfully would not root for him. i'd be happy he hit a shot that was important but it would feel bitter. i think he intentionally slides his foot under shooters trying to injure them or at the least tries to scare them that they may brake their ankles. i think he should already be out of the league. i pray this does'nt happen. the one and only player in history i could'nt stomach here.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
getting bowen would KILL me. i hate him. i truthfully would not root for him. i'd be happy he hit a shot that was important but it would feel bitter. i think he intentionally slides his foot under shooters trying to injure them or at the least tries to scare them that they may brake their ankles. i think he should already be out of the league. i pray this does'nt happen. the one and only player in history i could'nt stomach here.

So much hate for an ex-Celtic?  The only ex-Celtic who irks me is Skippy.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 12:59:33 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Agreed.  Both would be great.  I would cut POB, but I wouldn't cut Cassell.  Oberto and Bowen wouldn't help the PG position.  I'd rather cut one of the wings or even Pruitt.

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 01:26:16 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Could someone please clarify IF this could be possible?  Let's say that S.A. waited until the last day of the trade deadline.  I believe that we would have to have them signed by March 1st to play.  Is this mathematically possible?

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 01:30:21 PM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88
Could someone please clarify IF this could be possible?  Let's say that S.A. waited until the last day of the trade deadline.  I believe that we would have to have them signed by March 1st to play.  Is this mathematically possible?

The players just have to be waived from their new team b4 the march 1st deadline. 

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 01:43:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

The players just have to be waived from their new team b4 the march 1st deadline. 

So I think this answers my previous question.  You are saying that in order for a player to play for a team, he needs to be signed before March 1st, correct?  If so, then Bowen and Oberto will not be able to go back to the Spurs (since we are within 30 days of the March 1st dealine).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Those two additions would be great.  But if those guys are waived, the Lakers will be first in line for Oberto.

Why? The Lakers would be the last team I could see going after Oberto. In order to avoid he plays for another contender because he's good getting under Bynum's skin?

So I think this answers my previous question.  You are saying that in order for a player to play for a team, he needs to be signed before March 1st, correct?  If so, then Bowen and Oberto will not be able to go back to the Spurs (since we are within 30 days of the March 1st dealine).

No, no, what he's saying is that they merely just need to be released before the March 1st deadline. They can be signed afterwards.

Anyway;

1 - I don't believe on this trade, at least with the construction announced.

2 - Even if this trade goes down (again, I think the chances are basically non-existent), why would the Nets waive Oberto and Bowen, unless they agree on a compromise of doing so in order to allow them to go back to the Spurs? But even so... mind you that for a team to take four players for one, it must make room on the roster BEFORE the deal is done. It doesn't matter if they intend to waive a couple of the incoming players after the deal is done in order to get down to the 15 roster limit. So, the Nets have 15 players under contract. Are people seriously arguing they would waive 3 of their current players, then waive Bowen and Oberto, so basically eat 5 salaries, just to have the chance of trading Carter for Mason+Hill? Nah, even if this deal was truth, the Nets would at least keep Bowen and Oberto.