Author Topic: celts trade ideas for PG  (Read 4012 times)

celts trade ideas for PG
« on: February 13, 2009, 08:29:36 AM »

Offline celts2320

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
as we all know the celtics need a back up PG
i got two trades that might be interesting to the celtics
1) BOS and MEM
celts get: Mike Conley Jr.

Griz get: Tony Allen
                Gabe Pruitt
                Sam Casell (which they buy out)
                2nd rounder

2) BOS and CHA
celts get: Raymond Felton

Cats get: the same thing up above
this one works out for both in which charlotte gets a back up PG a solid back up in TA and a 2nd rounder the celts get a solid back up PG and then can use eddie house at SG
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:52:03 AM by Wide Load »

Re: celts trades for PG
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 08:42:02 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
not enough for either team.  they can both get better.

Re: celts trade ideas for PG
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How do either of those trades make sense for the other team? 

Sure, both have an extra PG they wouldn't mind parting with, but the price has to be right. 

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:15:52 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Yeah, Conley was a 4th overall pick.  Memphis would at least want a first rounder back plus more before giving up on him after a season and a half.

Felton was also a recent lottery pick I think.  Its not like these guys have terrible contracts that are in dire need to be shed.

I REALLY do want to get a backup pg to allow House to move to the 2 though.  I think this would improve our 2nd line immensely.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:35:41 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Pruitt  8)

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
A few weeks ago Memphis didn't make a Conley for Ramon Sessions+Joe Alexander deal. Now they'd trade him for Tony Allen, Gabe Pruitt and the obligation to spend money on Sam Cassell?

Teams don't want Tony Allen for his current contract, he didn't do nothing this season to change the mind of NBA GMs.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 10:21:32 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

Sure, both have an extra PG they wouldn't mind parting with, but the price has to be right. 

FWIW, there were rumors (i'm sure they're just that) that CHA was talking to IND about a Tinsley-Felton swap.  It makes zero sense, but CHA is reported to not want to pay Felton this summer (he's a restricted FA).

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 10:32:03 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

FWIW, there were rumors (i'm sure they're just that) that CHA was talking to IND about a Tinsley-Felton swap.  It makes zero sense, but CHA is reported to not want to pay Felton this summer (he's a restricted FA).

That was not the entire rumor though (that would be atrocious). It was more Tinsley for Nazr swap, with Felton thrown in for Jeff Foster and a wing (Daniels). If CHA simply doesn't want to pay Felton, they won't, it's not like they need to offer him a contract. I'm pretty sure they'd rather to that than eat Tony Allen's contract.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 10:53:44 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
A few weeks ago Memphis didn't make a Conley for Ramon Sessions+Joe Alexander deal. Now they'd trade him for Tony Allen, Gabe Pruitt and the obligation to spend money on Sam Cassell?

Teams don't want Tony Allen for his current contract, he didn't do nothing this season to change the mind of NBA GMs.
Surprising, huh?  I think I'd rather have Sessions than Conley and I have a feelling this will be obvious with Ridnour missing some time.  And Alexander is a nice project.  He could be very good or he could be Gerald Green.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 11:35:01 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I'd take Felton in a heartbeat, but I don't agree that we NEED a backup pg. And those deals look pretty one-sided to me. Why would anyone want four mediocre pieces for one good one. That's not how you win.
My solution for this year is to play Rondo 42 minutes a game in the playoffs. For backup we either stick with Eddie, or if Pruitt actually steps up and shows something(which he really hasn't), use Pruitt as backup. It's not like Rondo couldn't play extended time if he had to.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:35:28 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
We DO NOT need another PG without playoff experience.  This move would be pointless for us in my opinion.  

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 12:40:13 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Felton is an awful shooter.  Sub 40% career FG percentage.  Does anyone even look at those anymore? 

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/feltora01.html

How does it help us to substitute a bad shooting Rondo with a worse shooting Felton?  If we get a backup PG, I want to get one that can shoot.  That way when Rondo gets into a cold slump, we can stick someone into the lineup that is a threat to score, instead of letting teams sag off the PG and double team our star players at will.

And the problem with Conley Jr. is his lack of experience and the fact that he's a recent #4 overall pick.  The price for him is going to be hefty.

If we get a backup PG, go for a veteran who will come relatively cheap that can shoot the ball.  Cassell used to fit that bill, that's why we picked him up last year.  But I don't even know if Cassell can get on the floor anymore.